Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Mod The Z or Get a Vette?!?!

Alright guys (and gals),

Over the summer I'll be making quite a bit of money (about $12,000 total if I choose to work that much)... So as the title states... What should I do with the cash flow? Sell the Z and get Corvette (maybe even a z06 ) or keep the Z and mod it to my liking (which would be pretty extensive, but still fairly easily drivable). The mods I had in mind would be...

Performance
    - Full exhaust... LT Headers (Kooks), x or ORY pipe (which ones better?!) with cut-outs (QTP) and put a MagnaFlow cat back on in place of the SLP LM. No cats.
    - New plugs and wires.
    - Ported TB.
    - LS6 or FAST Intake. Which would be better? Probably the FAST if I got a cam.
    - Stall (what size?)
    - Not sure about a cam or a blower (rather have the cam)... Definitely not nitrous... But I know next to absolutely nothing about either... Probably wont have enough for a Procharger, and I'm not sure how much all the supporting mods for a cam would run me... The cam would be mild.

Appearance (along with some added performance).
    - New set of wheels and tires ... 17x9.5 and 18x11.
    - Lowering by about 1.5 or 2 (which brand for this?).
    - SS hood and SS spoiler.
    - FRC's and some other engine dress ups.
    - Light up the CAMARO letters in the back (good write up on this site).
    - Put LED's in place of all existing lights inside (Blue).
    - New head-unit along with the light-up HU Mount.
    - New speakers all the way around and a subwoofer in the back (10 inch).
    - HID conversion for the headlights and fogs.
    - Clear corners and signals.
    - Toggle switches for all exterior lights.
    - Billet grill.
    - Remove the side moldings.
    - Window tinting.

----------

Of course if got a Vette there would be no money left to mod it... Already talked it over with the parents and they said that it was my money and I could do what i wanted with it, and as long as i kept getting good grades at school they'd pay the insurance. I do have a steady job here and have some money put back already.

----------

If you guys have any input or more suggestions about mods please feel free to chip in... All criticism is welcomed as well. I know more than the average Joe about the LS1 but I'm no expert. Also please help with the questions that I have somewhat side-noted above.

The car is a 1999 Camaro Z28 - A4
    Just clicked over 70,000 miles.

Thanks guys,
    Matt
    Last edited by LS1Powerhouse; 01-13-2009 at 06:29 PM.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

considering the performance mods you have listed for your car in comparison to you possibly getting a c5z06, I would get the c5z06 without thinking .2 seconds about it.

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    considering the performance mods you have listed for your car in comparison to you possibly getting a c5z06, I would get the c5z06 without thinking .2 seconds about it.
    I'm very open for some more mods to do to the car. I wouldn't mind pushing 400-425+ to the wheels if that's possible?

NBM
    99 TA

if you can get a good dollar for the z then sell it and get a vette. If you have to practically give the z away in order to get rid of it then you might as well keep it.

Im in the same boat, i really want a C6 but im not willing to sell my car for peanuts, i'd rather just keep saving until i can get a vette without having to sell the T/A.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Powerhouse View Post
    I'm very open for some more mods to do to the car. I wouldn't mind pushing 400-425+ to the wheels if that's possible?
    you need ported heads and a cam with long tubes then brotha. to get you in that range

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

you need ported heads and a cam with long tubes then brotha. to get you in that range
    Plan on getting some Kooks... Don't know alot about the internals of an engine but I'm willing to learn... Nothing drops teh panties like a loping cam.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

I was going through the same dilemma myself. Once I'm in the Marines (boot camp next month!) I'll be making more money than now, school will be paid for, and I'll have a signing bonus in my pocket.

As much as I love my T/A (and actually somewhat prefer the looks and recent years exclusivity of it over the vette)...I want a vette. Faster stock for stock, and ride so much better IMO. Especially a C6, if I can find a deal on a good one. Plus I won't feel so bad about putting miles on a mass-produced vette as I will the no-longer produced T/A.

Couldn't bring myself to part with the T/A though, and I know I won't be able to afford both anytime soon barring my lottery ticket smiling on me. Was talking with my dad the other day, who's been looking for a new toy, and pretty much fell in love with my car the day I bought it. He agreed to take over the payments for me if I get something else, or buy it off me if I pay it off first.

So, problem solved. T/A stays in the family...in the only hands I trust, and gets access to dad's bank account for mods and upkeep.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    I was going through the same dilemma myself. Once I'm in the Marines (boot camp next month!) I'll be making more money than now, school will be paid for, and I'll have a signing bonus in my pocket.

As much as I love my T/A (and actually somewhat prefer the looks and recent years exclusivity of it over the vette)...I want a vette. Faster stock for stock, and ride so much better IMO. Especially a C6, if I can find a deal on a good one. Plus I won't feel so bad about putting miles on a mass-produced vette as I will the no-longer produced T/A.

Couldn't bring myself to part with the T/A though, and I know I won't be able to afford both anytime soon barring my lottery ticket smiling on me. Was talking with my dad the other day, who's been looking for a new toy, and pretty much fell in love with my car the day I bought it. He agreed to take over the payments for me if I get something else, or buy it off me if I pay it off first.

So, problem solved. T/A stays in the family...in the only hands I trust, and gets access to dad's bank account for mods and upkeep.
    aside from the fact that a c5z06 is a rocket, they handle lightyears better then an fbody too. were talking 1g skidpad guys

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Same situation for me. I chose to stop modifying the Camaro and save for a nice Vette.

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

aside from the fact that a c5z06 is a rocket, they handle lightyears better then an fbody too. were talking 1g skidpad guys
    Just outa curiosity, since I've never driven a Z06:

1. Z06 ride quality any better than plain?
    2. Is it cheaper to buy plain and mod to Z06 levels or just spring for a Z06?
    3. C5Z06 vs plain C6?

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

In all honesty though I would LIKE to keep my Camaro...I told myself when I bought it that I'd have it forever... It is pretty much the first big thing that I have bought... So if keeping it is an option I'd like to do it... I just want to make her purr like a pissed off tiger... I have plenty of time in my life to get a Vette plus the backseat thing is nice.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

If you can get a C6 go for it. C5? Mod the Z. I still love modded 4th gens. C5s don't do it for me.

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    If you can get a C6 go for it. C5? Mod the Z. I still love modded 4th gens. C5s don't do it for me.
    No way I'll be able to get a C6... 2001-2002 C5z06 would be at the very top of my price range.

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by LS1Powerhouse View Post
    In all honesty though I would LIKE to keep my Camaro...I told myself when I bought it that I'd have it forever... It is pretty much the first big thing that I have bought... So if keeping it is an option I'd like to do it... I just want to make her purr like a pissed off tiger... I have plenty of time in my life to get a Vette plus the backseat thing is nice.
    Sounds to me like you've already made your decision.

I'd say, try what I did first and see if a close friend/family member would buy it off you so you can have your vette, but still go visit the Camaro whenever and have imput in the mod direction it goes.

If that's a no go then just include a reliable DD in your mod list (if you don't have one already) and go to work on the Camaro.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Same situation for me. I chose to stop modifying the Camaro and save for a nice Vette.
    looks like me and sarge are going to be making a trip to OK for an intervention soon.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'll first give you my honest opinion then I'll bullshit you a little bit. At 19 you don't need either. If I would've had a 400+HP car at 19 I wouldn't be here today. Hell, I damn near didn't make it with a 75 cutlass that had maybe 190HP.
    Now, at 19 if I would've had the decision you have it would've been very easy. Vette. I'm honestly glad I didn't have that decision because those 19-25 years for me proved to be some dumb ass years.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    looks like me and sarge are going to be making a trip to OK for an intervention soon.
    Im not getting rid of the Camaro, plan to keep it. I just want to add a C6 to the stable as well. Ask me what adjustments to my budget I made to make room for a C6

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Im not getting rid of the Camaro, plan to keep it. I just want to add a C6 to the stable as well. Ask me what adjustments to my budget I made to make room for a C6
    I don't have to ask.... I know.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post

Bonuses must be bigger than when I was in. And pay must be way up also. PFC,LCPL or CPL would have a tough time making even C5-Z06 payments. Wouldnt be able to drive during boot. I know you know that.. And then your A-school the still did not let us have auto's. Once in the fleet marines yup. But heck you could be gone 12 out of 12 months. Storage etc... But funny though to see a PFC driving a Z06...
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 01-13-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I don't have to ask.... I know.
    Ya you do, life is getting good again

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information