Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

A mod that actually prevented a wreck

About 6 weeks ago I put C5 brakes on my car. Saturday I installed a McLeod Clutch with an aluminum flywheel, so I've been driving my car a lot to try and get the clutch broken in. I decided to actually take my car on the 54 mile stop and go heavy traffic commute to work today since that would expedite the break in period. About 10 miles from work I'm cruising at 55 in the far right lane of a three lane highway (Route 9 in Wappingers) when the light goes yellow. I was close enough to make the light still so I didn't slow down. Then a car to my left pulled out in front of me. I didn't think it was a big deal until she slammed on her brakes (turns out she had to turn right and almost missed her turn) so I slammed on mine and the front wheels locked up instantly, throwing white smoke everywhere. I was able to keep the car straight and left a pretty decent rubber trail, I couldn't believe how fast I stopped. An old lady to my right gave me a thumbs up (for avoiding the wreck I presume) and the bitch in front of me just got the hell out of there. I really love these brakes more now! I still don't think I'll be driving the Z28 in much heavy traffic anymore though, I just care about this car too much to risk all these shitty ass NY/NJ commuters fucking me up.

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    I hear ya, my brakes locked up to on a yellow but it was too late. Some fisherman in a Ford F150 turned in front of me and I t-boned him. Guess I needed C5 brakes, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28
    About 6 weeks ago I put C5 brakes on my car. Saturday I installed a McLeod Clutch with an aluminum flywheel, so I've been driving my car a lot to try and get the clutch broken in. I decided to actually take my car on the 54 mile stop and go heavy traffic commute to work today since that would expedite the break in period. About 10 miles from work I'm cruising at 55 in the far right lane of a three lane highway (Route 9 in Wappingers) when the light goes yellow. I was close enough to make the light still so I didn't slow down. Then a car to my left pulled out in front of me. I didn't think it was a big deal until she slammed on her brakes (turns out she had to turn right and almost missed her turn) so I slammed on mine and the front wheels locked up instantly, throwing white smoke everywhere. I was able to keep the car straight and left a pretty decent rubber trail, I couldn't believe how fast I stopped. An old lady to my right gave me a thumbs up (for avoiding the wreck I presume) and the bitch in front of me just got the hell out of there. I really love these brakes more now! I still don't think I'll be driving the Z28 in much heavy traffic anymore though, I just care about this car too much to risk all these shitty ass NY/NJ commuters fucking me up.
    nice stop man, hope you didn't crystalize your pads or cause bald spots on your tires

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    nice stop man, hope you didn't crystalize your pads or cause bald spots on your tires
    I checked that out when I got to work, the tires are good (they better be for having about 200 miles on them). I don't know how to check the pads for crystallization but after that stop there was no decrease in performance. I'm just glad I was able to keep her straight when the fronts were locked up. I know without ABS I'm supposed to pump the brakes but it was just too close to have time.

DisCrete
    mr 91z

do you not have antilock breaks? and if so they failed

which is a lawsuite and a 1/2.

can I come work for you when you own chevy? I'm a really good janitor

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

any accident avoidance is a good thing. my mustang brakes suck and i would have crashed. thats why i need to do a 5 lug conversion at some point so i can upgrade. get used to new york nj drivers, they are aggressive and dont care, and the women are the worst. driving a huge suv on the phone not looking.i cant tell u how many times i wanted to curbblock one those chicks.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete
    mr 91z

do you not have antilock breaks? and if so they failed

which is a lawsuite and a 1/2.

can I come work for you when you own chevy? I'm a really good janitor
    93 was when F bodies got ABS

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger
    any accident avoidance is a good thing. my mustang brakes suck and i would have crashed. thats why i need to do a 5 lug conversion at some point so i can upgrade. get used to new york nj drivers, they are aggressive and dont care, and the women are the worst. driving a huge suv on the phone not looking.i cant tell u how many times i wanted to curbblock one those chicks.
    The just change lanes without looking, it isn't like using the blinker means you are good to go. I hate it when they start to get over when you are still in the way and you have two choices: brake and get out of the way, or let them sideswipe you.

DisCrete
    Quote Originally Posted by 91Z28
    93 was when F bodies got ABS

Damn it

and I didn't even get to my hourly negoiation yet

I wanted $41/hour if you win the case

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

thats if they even give u the courtesy of giving u a blinker. most jus go or jus throw up their hands at u after they try to cut in like your some kind of asshole for not interpreting their non signaling driving. i better stop reading this before i pop a blood vessel, i can get so pissed off over stay at home do nothing 50 k suv women drivers.

Cyclone Grey Metallic
    2006 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger
    thats if they even give u the courtesy of giving u a blinker. most jus go or jus throw up their hands at u after they try to cut in like your some kind of asshole for not interpreting their non signaling driving. i better stop reading this before i pop a blood vessel, i can get so pissed off over stay at home do nothing 50 k suv women drivers.
    It isn't just the women SUV drivers anymore, there are shitloads of illegal mexicans who drive little shitboxes that can barely do 40mph, have no mirrors, and have 20 people crammed in them. And don't even get me started on Hasidics...........

Curb feelers would help keep you safer too!

Oh... and no bashing the female SUV drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie
    Oh... and no bashing the female SUV drivers.
    yea it's not their fault they can't drive. it's in their blood

mwhbossman1983

Look who's talking!

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Glad to see you didn't wreck the car man. That thing is sweet!

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie
    Look who's talking!
    fuck, you win

AValanche

You know that your stock brakes would have locked up your tires just the same right?

Braking performance /= Locking the wheels up and skidding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information