Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: military

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

military

i have respect for the military i understand its purpose, we need it. it serves us well. but in another thread on the topic of recruiters it went down the same road it always does. yes recruiters can be very annoying. not everyone wants or needs the military, this doesnt necessarily make them a bitch. some of these recruiters jus do not take no for an answer. the military likes to promise you the world, obviously so they can rope you in. my cousin jus finished 6 yrs in the marines is very driven and a smart guy. the marines has done nothing for him that he couldnt have achieved on his own anyways. the military is a voluntary entity as of now. so why is it that if it works for active guys then everyone has to be in it? i jus dont understand this superiority complex. jus because somethings good for you doesnt mean its good for all. these same guys that are so ok with recruiting calling, are the same guys that complain about telemarketers yet i see no differences. now let me predict how all the current people who have served or are serving are gonna say i am a pussy, and a liberal, and anti american. i support the military, it jus doesnt interest me personally.

Yup their bullshit is getting old.
    There's already a thread about it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17294

P.S. YOU DIDN'T SERVE SO YOUR OPINION DOESN'T MEAN SHIT!!!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

yup. because they served it means nobody can have an opinon or be objective. because everyones a chicken shit and we need to serve to pay for a college education. cause apparently they dont offer student loans anymore or scholarships?

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger
    yup. because they served it means nobody can have an opinon or be objective. because everyones a chicken shit and we need to serve to pay for a college education. cause apparently they dont offer student loans anymore or scholarships?
    Recruiters are nothing more than highly motivated used car salesmen.

The only time a civilian needs to STFU about military matters is when they start talking about how "we must invade countries!!!" while they are hiding under their desks. A good example is someone like Rush that says "support the troops! send them to war!" when he himself dodged the draft thanks to a growth on his ass.

And i understand that people on the outside study this stuff and form their own opinions, i have no problem with that, and i will listen to someone that has studied iraq for a long time and knows the area without thinking any less of them, but when they start getting high and mighty like Rush calling for troops to be sent into harm's way while he sits there thinking about how he got to enjoy his youth and didn't have to watch his friends die, fuck him and all the chickenhawks. You have no right to call for a war if you don't believe in war enough to fight it yourself. Don't ask other people to give their lives for something you wouldn't.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

thats an extremely well put statement captaincaveman and i agree completely.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

my cousin jus finished 6 yrs in the marines is very driven and a smart guy. the marines has done nothing for him that he couldnt have achieved on his own anyways.
    I doubt that's true...especially if he went to college while he was in and when he was put in the inactive reserves he already had a degree. Even if he didn't go to school when he was in the military, he'll ALWAYS have the fact that he served on his resume...and that looks very good to employers. If your cousin and anyone else applying for a job has the same education, and your cousin is the only one that served...chances are he'll get the job.

People can go to college and get a better education at any age, shit i've seen many people in different classes that were 70+ easy. But you can only serve when you're decently young (I think it's still 18-34 yrs), it's a choice everyone must make during those years...and it'll effect your life whether you ever realize it or not.

Everyone deserves and has the right to have an opinion on the issues going on in the world today. It's just sometimes military servicemen/women have a hard time taking someone's opinion about war/military issues serious that has never had their boots on the ground and their ass in the mud. Believe it or not, you as a person and your perspective would change if you made different choices in life and decided to hold off on college for a few years and enlist.

I try to be as unbias as possible, but saying the corps did nothing for your cousin that he couldn't do on his own is a dumb statement IMO.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

You said you dont understand the superiority complex > that is because you are on the outside looking in. All I have to do is tell someone I was in the Marines , and you have tons of questions coming your way. Just let someone start talking bad about a Marine and you will see all sorts of post from my fellow Marines...

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth
    Just let someone start talking bad about a Marine and you will see all sorts of post from my fellow Marines...
    Yup! Whether what that person said was justified or not!

Kinda reminds me of cops now that I think of it.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Thats right Marines stick together ...

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth
    Thats right Marines stick together ...
    And they should, in the field, and when nessesary and justifed.

But you do realize that what you're bragging about is exactly what people are complaining, right?

You know, cause everyone just loves being around a group of people who will gang up on and viciously attack anyone who criticizes a member of their group regardless of whether he's right or wrong.

NBM
    '00 Z28

I'm Army. I've been in for 7 years now. I don't give a damn what side of the fence you stand on. You have the right to say and feel how ever you choose.

I will say though, even though you have the right to say and feel how ever you choose, do it peacefully. If you get in my face about it, or were dumb enough to do something like spit in my face, we're going to have problems. You can say whatever you wish without making personal attacks on me.

No one has done that to me, yet. But if it ever happened, there would definitely be problems.

Speaking of which, have you guys heard about the people protesting at military funerals? WTF??? How disrespectful can people be?

Don't down on someone's lifestyle or the job they have to do and expect a rosey reception. No one goes in wanting to sit in a recruiting office all day. Its a duty that many get stuck with or take thinking they'll get a much needed break. You may think its a walk in the park but the pressure for numbers and long hours make for a very stressful life. Many wives that I've spoken to say that its actually worse than deployments.

LS1 Noob

Red
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BillyT
    And they should, in the field, and when nessesary and justifed.

But you do realize that what you're bragging about is exactly what people are complaining, right?

You know, cause everyone just loves being around a group of people who will gang up on and viciously attack anyone who criticizes a member of their group regardless of whether he's right or wrong.
    I'm not saying you're right, and I'm not saying your wrong. What I will say is that it's a Marine thing that you'll never understand. And don't get all hurt and stuff when I say that. It's not a slam on you at all. I'm just saying that unless you've put on the uniform and done the time, you'll not get it.

In my opinion, the recruiter's conduct the other night was a bit over the line. I've known many recruiters, and while they have a very tough job, that kind of behavior is never warranted.

Also, I agree with the SeVeReDiStOrTiOn regarding your cousin. There's no way he's going to spend 6 years in the Corps and not come away changed. Bootcamp and Marine Corps training changes a person... I don't care who you are. I spent 2 years as a Drill Instructor at Parris Island and saw the changes first hand every day. And while there may be that 10% (the Marines know who I'm talking about) that leave the Corps in worse shape than they started, that 10% would very likely have gone to shit no matter what they had done with their lives (PTSD issues aside).

I retired from the Corps 7 years ago after doing 20 years and I still work for the Marine Corps as a civilian. I can't think of a more worthy career or time better spent.

You must understand that military service is something that people are passionate about. I'll be the first person to say that we can be a little overbearing when it comes to defending what we do. If you believe we stick together whether we're right or wrong, it's because that's what we're trained to do. Otherwise, we'd not last long as a organized military unit. Sometimes all we have are uncompromised dedication and steadfast loyality. There are a lot of people who don't understand that, because they've never been placed in a position to take that stand. Why do you think our motto is "Semper Fi?" If you don't know what that means... look it up... it's Latin.

Semper Fi,
    Marc
    GySgt/USMC (ret)

Great post, Nytmare!

Quote Originally Posted by nytmare
    I'm not saying you're right, and I'm not saying your wrong. What I will say is that it's a Marine thing that you'll never understand. And don't get all hurt and stuff when I say that. It's not a slam on you at all. I'm just saying that unless you've put on the uniform and done the time, you'll not get it.
    But you see, in the real world, that's not a very viable excuse for poor behavior. It's kinda like a Muslim saying, well until you put on a turban and know Allah you will never understand my fucked up behaviors, ya know?

In my opinion, the recruiter's conduct the other night was a bit over the line. I've known many recruiters, and while they have a very tough job, that kind of behavior is never warranted.
    Agreed.

Also, I agree with the SeVeReDiStOrTiOn regarding your cousin. There's no way he's going to spend 6 years in the Corps and not come away changed. Bootcamp and Marine Corps training changes a person... I don't care who you are. I spent 2 years as a Drill Instructor at Parris Island and saw the changes first hand every day. And while there may be that 10% (the Marines know who I'm talking about) that leave the Corps in worse shape than they started, that 10% would very likely have gone to shit no matter what they had done with their lives (PTSD issues aside).

I retired from the Corps 7 years ago after doing 20 years and I still work for the Marine Corps as a civilian. I can't think of a more worthy career or time better spent.
    You got me mixed up with the other guy whose cousin was in the corps for 6 years. I also would find 6 years in the military having no effect on someone a bit hard to believe.

You must understand that military service is something that people are passionate about. I'll be the first person to say that we can be a little overbearing when it comes to defending what we do. If you believe we stick together whether we're right or wrong, it's because that's what we're trained to do. Otherwise, we'd not last long as a organized military unit. Sometimes all we have are uncompromising dedication and steadfast loyalty. There are a lot of people who don't understand that, because they've never been placed in a position to take that stand. Why do you think our motto is "Semper Fi?" If you don't know what that means... look it up... it's Latin.
    Semper Fi,
    Marc
    GySgt/USMC (ret)
    Oh no... it's quite clear it comes from the conditioning the military performs on their troops in order to harden them for battle, but if the end result is that when the soldier comes home he can't handle himself like the rest of us and goes around stomping on people whether physically or verbally because he is still in Fuck-Everyone-OooRaah-Mode, then maybe the military needs some sort of exit program so as we civilians don't have to be subjected to the unnecessary abrasiveness and clannish behavior, and ex-troops don't find regular people disliking them as a result.

P.S. I know exactly what Semper Fi means... My family's crest says Ad Mortem Fidelis on it.
    Last edited by BillyT; 04-13-2006 at 06:24 AM.

BillyT, there are a series of exit programs for service members.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie
    BillyT, there are a series of exit programs for service members.
    Then they obviously don't all do the job or at least don't work on everyone that goes through them.
    Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    I also suspect it depends of which branch of the service the person was in.
    My father and many other family members and friends were in the Navy, and they all seem normal nowadays.
    But my friends who were in the Marines, well they still seem to live up to the name Grunt long after getting out.
    Last edited by BillyT; 04-13-2006 at 06:35 AM.

I'm really not sure as my husband as never been the Ooooorah type.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Yea . Marines live up to the name Grunt. We say it with pride. And some of us are brash and bold. And we drink to much and we talk to loud. And it that dont fit into your little world to bad.

White
    '10 ZR1

In my opinion, if your sole purpose to join any armed service is to pay for college, you're doing it for the wrong reason!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information