Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Smile Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs talks about skilled workers

This video is old...but new to me. After watching it I though to myself, "Amen." What's your guys take on this?

-------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

He hit the nail on the head.

blue
    1999 TransAm

+1

like mike rowe, like dirty jobs, and the best part of america is the hardworking and small business/entreprenuerism/spirit!!!

Pewter
    '00 SS

Good for him for speaking up. I am currently a shipyard mechanic and the only other guy that knows how to do ALL of it at the company I work for is retiring in 2 years. Somethings gotta give
    Suspension: Lower control arms (Spohn), Drive shaft safety loop, Torque arm (Edlebrock), Strut tower brace, Panhard Bar (BMR)

Under the Hood: Smooth bellows, Lid, Catch can, LT Headers, ORY, AIR/EGR delete, Poly engine/transmission mounts,

Exterior: Painted brake calipers (Red), Halo “Spyder” Headlights w/matching parking/turn signals (Black)

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

He's absolutely right

Pewter
    '00 SS

I honestly never thought of it how he explained it. But as already stated glad he said it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I thought Mexicans were doing all the jobs like this cause business owners pay them less.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

People entering skilled trades are expecting to earn $50k/ yr. but do not know the basics - too greedy to learn the basics, not mechanically inclined enough to earn $14k / yr while learning basics of the trade ..... I'm a 27 yr veteran toolmaker, and I'm only stating what I've been witnessing in my "skilled trade"

White
    '10 ZR1

Outstanding Mr. Rowe

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    People entering skilled trades are expecting to earn $50k/ yr. but do not know the basics - too greedy to learn the basics, not mechanically inclined enough to earn $14k / yr while learning basics of the trade ..... I'm a 27 yr veteran toolmaker, and I'm only stating what I've been witnessing in my "skilled trade"
    Yes, their expectations need to be managed for sure. One of the bigger downfalls of skilled trades is the lower entry level pay. But for those willing, that should ramp up steadily each year and depending on the trade, you'll be at the $50k/year mark after 7 to 10 years. Sometimes quicker and sometimes slower. And sometimes never if that trade doesn't offer that kind of growth.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I like his take on education and how it relates to skilled trades. One is the push for 4 year education for everyone (and how that has dried up some people from skilled trades) and two is how the budget balancing effect on schools is causing the vocational programs to be cut (ie shop classes, wood working, metal working, electronics, auto shop, etc).

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I thought Mexicans were doing all the jobs like this cause business owners pay them less.
    I guess it depends on what skilled trade we're talking about and what part of the country we live it.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

I like how he talked about creating shovel ready jobs for a people who aren't willing to pick up a shovel ... f'in A!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I like his take on education and how it relates to skilled trades. One is the push for 4 year education for everyone (and how that has dried up some people from skilled trades) and two is how the budget balancing effect on schools is causing the vocational programs to be cut (ie shop classes, wood working, metal working, electronics, auto shop, etc).
    I loved my shop classes. From grades 7 through 12, I took a shop class most every semester. Plastics, Metal, wood, lapidary, auto... Do schools offer horticulture class anymore?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I doubt it. Its rare to find a school around here that offers auto repair.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

My high school had wood shop, welding and vo-ag (farming community). That was about it.

Pewter
    '00 SS

Since I grqduated in '01, my school has built a while building just for these types of classes.

For the auto part, they even allow students to work on their own cars opposed to getting cars brought in.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Definitely an older generation at job sites. Hard to find 20 somethings swinging a hammer.

Pewter
    '00 SS

It sucks that it is damn near impossible to work your way up the ladder. Oil field for instance, getting hired to sweep the floors in a shop and take out the trash, to warehouse, assembly, machine shop, welder, person that writes jobs (dont remember their name), inside sales, outside sales, management (all the way to the top).

I had a basketball scholarship out of high school and I walked away from it cause I just dont like school (very bad decision to walk but...) 11 years later I have attempted to go back to college at least 5 times. It really just isnt me.

On the other hand, I feel like doing my time in the Navy and working on ships propulsion (gas turbines) and auxilary equipment, I CAN start from the bottom in the turbine field and work my way up. I have no doubt in my mind about it. Does the industry think that way? Probably not and thats sad. Why has hands on training taken a back seat to keeping your face in a book for four years and becoming a manager of some sort?

I hope for people like me and for myself that America values on the job training/trade schools as much as they value a 4 year education.

Please dont think I am bashing college graduates because I also see the importance in that. Just from a person that does not want to go to college but knows for SURE that I am equally as gifted as someone who does, shouldnt lesson my chances to get the same job/pay rate as the college grad.

Just my 2cents. Feel free to comment as you wish.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

4 year education has its place but I'll also seen a few peeps squeezed themselves through 4 or 5 years of college for essentially nothing but a piece of paper.
    If the Navy is teaching you hands on how to work on turbine engines, I see no reason why a civilian company wouldn't hire a guy like you. Of course maybe I don't understand what companies look for in turbine repair. Do they expect you to go to a 4 year school and become an engineer to work on them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information