Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mechanics

white
    01 Z-28

mechanics

it is my dream to work on cars but dont know where to start... i was told to go to the dealership and they can work u and pay for your school or i could just go to votech ...only problem is i have 3 kids and they dont pay very well..plus we are thinkin about moving to florida in the next 1-5 years thanks for any help u could give

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by niterunnr View Post
    it is my dream to work on cars but dont know where to start... i was told to go to the dealership and they can work u and pay for your school or i could just go to votech ...only problem is i have 3 kids and they dont pay very well..plus we are thinkin about moving to florida in the next 1-5 years thanks for any help u could give
    The best way to get started is through a dealer. GM has an ASEP program where you go to school for 3 months and then work for 3 months. Pay is probably not too good since the techs we had at our dealer were usually right out of high school.

white
    01 Z-28

ok thanks thats the same thing i was finding out from talkin to people around here.. my wife is fixing to go to work at rent a center and that will help but i make 17 an hour here now and cant afford to quit just yet but as soon as all my toys are paid for i can thanks

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by niterunnr View Post
    ok thanks thats the same thing i was finding out from talkin to people around here.. my wife is fixing to go to work at rent a center and that will help but i make 17 an hour here now and cant afford to quit just yet but as soon as all my toys are paid for i can thanks
    You may be able to do it on your own through night classes and what not. Find a good community college around you with an automotive program and see their class schedule.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I work on cars out of my garage although these days I've became so picky I don't do it much. I would say to give it a shot but don't be surprised if you're pissed off a lot. I love working on my cars, they're well cared for. I hate working on someone's POS that hasn't had the oil checked in 6 months and hasn't been cleaned in 3 years. Almost every bolt is rusty and the ones that aren't rusty are covered in oil/grease. Not sure how much you've worked on cars, just giving you some reality. I did a brake job last year where they said " I just need new front pads". 2 days later after rebuilding both calipers I was done. They needed new pads alright, that was because their pads were gone. I don't mean gone as in "really wore out", I mean gone as no longer on the car. The piston had ground down into the rotor.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Just whatever you do, do NOT go to UTI. Any choice you make other then that is a good one in comparison.

Professional shit starter Smurfvette05's Avatar

Blue
    05 C6 Corvette

We started our shop by working out of our house...now 8yrs later we are in a complex that we have almost half of, and still expanding. Keep doing what you are doing and when the time is right, you will know. I wouldn't strap yourself down with to much right now with kids.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I would advise against it. If you're going to go to school, go for something with a higher earning potential.

Working on cars is great for a hobby or side work, but IMO it's a lowsy career.

No offense to anyone who does this for a living of course, there are exceptions I'm sure.

It's just that I went to a vocational high school and took automotive technology, and while it's been a big help in that I do most of my own work on my cars and have saved a bundle over the years (graduated in '96), I worked in a shop when I was still in school and absolutely HATED IT. And actually the older guys I worked with told me not to get into that field.

First off, you have to work FAST. From what I understand, as far as working for a dealer, the faster you work, the more you make. Meaning if the book says a job takes 2 hours, and you get it done in 1, you made out. BUT, if you do the same job in 3 hours, well you just worked an hour for free.

Now anyone who works at a dealer please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is how it works most places.

I don't know about you, but I hate that kind of work enviroment. And unless you work in a high end shop or dealer, prepare to work on POS's all day. I remember the shit I used to work on, I spent more time trying to remove rusty fasteners than anything else. Working on your own junk is one thing, but working on other people's junk for mediocre pay is another.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

If you are serious about becoming a dealer tech you need to start off with at least votech. NO DEALER is gonna just take some guy off the street with a dream and put him through school on their dollar unless they know he is an investment. So you need to get a certificate from your local votech or community college, walk in to a dealer and tell them the degree of your experience. Then you are gonna go through the motions of what it is to become a dealer tech, and if you show potential and the abilities to become productive, they will work with you on their dealer training and or send you to school. Theres a lot more to dealer tech jobs then even just the ability to fix a car, its the way you handle a job, a lot of procedure. THe only way to even know that you really want this job is to try it and see how you feel about it in 5 yrs.

I've been a dealer tech for 6 yrs

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I would advise against it. If you're going to go to school, go for something with a higher earning potential.

Working on cars is great for a hobby or side work, but IMO it's a lowsy career.

No offense to anyone who does this for a living of course, there are exceptions I'm sure.

It's just that I went to a vocational high school and took automotive technology, and while it's been a big help in that I do most of my own work on my cars and have saved a bundle over the years (graduated in '96), I worked in a shop when I was still in school and absolutely HATED IT. And actually the older guys I worked with told me not to get into that field.

First off, you have to work FAST. From what I understand, as far as working for a dealer, the faster you work, the more you make. Meaning if the book says a job takes 2 hours, and you get it done in 1, you made out. BUT, if you do the same job in 3 hours, well you just worked an hour for free.

Now anyone who works at a dealer please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is how it works most places.

I don't know about you, but I hate that kind of work enviroment. And unless you work in a high end shop or dealer, prepare to work on POS's all day. I remember the shit I used to work on, I spent more time trying to remove rusty fasteners than anything else. Working on your own junk is one thing, but working on other people's junk for mediocre pay is another.
    You are in a lot of cases absolutely correct my friend.

The exceptions are that you work in a clean a/c shop, they pay you really high rate, and you get gravy work all day. Otherwise you nailed it. Those guys that say they make 100k a year work in high end shops and get "fed" all day. They are also experts in doing electrical problems most likely. A lot of money is lost rotting on electrical gremlins on cars that are still under warranty. WARRANTY is a techs worst nightmare. Warranty time fucks the tech big time.

Black
    99SS

All that is pretty good advice from Stanger. Also contact ASE, I know what some of you are thinking, they are really involved with education. The money can be great if you are fast or good. I do problem cars all day and do pretty well. I've been in the game a while and I'm at the top of the food chain. ASE Master, ASE L1, (manufacturer) Master. And Stanger please don't blast me but I sit on some of the commitees that develop ASE test questions. There are so few techs that can really diag and repair cars properly/ethically that dealers are taking the chance on guys with the right attitude. Here is my shop for "sidework"

The cars are mine and my wife's

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by NJ 666 View Post
    All that is pretty good advice from Stanger. Also contact ASE, I know what some of you are thinking, they are really involved with education. The money can be great if you are fast or good. I do problem cars all day and do pretty well. I've been in the game a while and I'm at the top of the food chain. ASE Master, ASE L1, (manufacturer) Master. And Stanger please don't blast me but I sit on some of the commitees that develop ASE test questions. There are so few techs that can really diag and repair cars properly/ethically that dealers are taking the chance on guys with the right attitude. Here is my shop for "sidework"
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    The cars are mine and my wife's
    You must be one hell of a tech man lol

MOST TECHS DO NOT DO AS WELL AS THIS GUY! haha

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Dude that shop is nicer then the dealer that I work at by a long shot lol Are you hiring? hahaha

Black
    99SS

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Dude that shop is nicer then the dealer that I work at by a long shot lol Are you hiring? hahaha
    There is also 600sf of office space, 2 bathrooms,shower, etc.(though they are not done yet) I know it's not the biggest or best garage out there but we started with nothing.
    I'm a third generation mechanic/tech. I started in junkyards as a kid. The first dealer I worked at paid me min wage $3.35 an hour while in the ASEP program. I had to sweep the parts dept and wash cars when we were slow. I started from the basement and worked up to this. Oh and I almost forgot, my wife works in finance and does pretty well.
    I still work fulltime at the local ******** dealer. I pay other dealer techs to help me out when I'm stumped on a car. So far the side business is doing decent. Open less than a year and we're breaking even.
    Sorry Stanger I don't think they're letting anyone else from NJ in. I'm afraid I ruined it for you. We also had a 3,100 sf house build when we moved here 7 years ago.
    Last edited by NJ 666; 07-11-2008 at 05:01 PM. Reason: more detail

Black
    99 Z28

I have a good friend who is a tranny mechanic. He's never hurting for money. He's on his 5th evo, he buys his cars with cash and is good with money anyway.

The nice thing of doing that kind of work is that there's ALWAYS side work to be done. You can always make under the table money or bartering with someone who can do what you need.

Black
    99SS

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    I have a good friend who is a tranny mechanic. He's never hurting for money. He's on his 5th evo, he buys his cars with cash and is good with money anyway.

The nice thing of doing that kind of work is that there's ALWAYS side work to be done. You can always make under the table money or bartering with someone who can do what you need.
    True about the sidework but, the liability risk is huge. For example if you do a brake job on someones car and they get into an accident you can loose it all. I've heard of some people telling techs(after the job is done) that if they don't give a discount the IRS will be called. One reason I went the route I did.
    The worst peoplw I've found to work with are lawyers, and I'm sorry, cops. They wait til the job is done and always re-negotiate the deal. Also, certain stereotypes do apply.
    One of my friends did a sidejob for a prosecutor. After the job was done they said I'll give you $xxx dollars and if that's not good enough I'll bring charges against you for running an illegal business out of your house. CARMA NOTE: About 6 months after this the prosecutor committed suicide.

blue
    2000 SS

I was a gm tech for about 8 years. I loved playing with my cars in high school and thought that fixing cars for a living would be the best job for me. Holy s*** was I wrong. As said above you have to work as fast as you can to make money. Every dealer I worked at was flat rate pay. You get paid what the book says the job pays, if it pays 1.5 hours and and a bolt breaks or strips and it takes you 2.5 hours to finish you get paid 1.5. It happens alot where I am (upper east coast) from all the salt air from the ocean and in the winter they salt the roads to. There are a few that can make a good living but not many. If the dispatcher doesn't like you then you can forget about the few gravy jobs that they get, they will give them to the ass kissers.If you like it as a hobby you will hate it. Do you really want to come home after busting ass in a hot shop all day and climb under another car I sure didn't. theres also no overtime most places are open on saturdays and want most of the techs to work if not all and you get the same hourly pay. Most guys come in on sat. just to make up for the crappy jobs they lost time on so they can get a 40 hour check. I am happy now that I did it because I can fix my cars myself and don't have to pay a small fortune in repairs and I enjoy it as a hobby again. I have been doing high rise hvac for about 10 years now I make more than twice what I was making as a tech and can aford to have toys now. Before having an extra car was pretty much a dream for somday. At the moment me and my wife are having our first baby and we are putting an addition on our house. If I was still a tech there would be no way we could aford to do this. I also have 79 scout that I drive daily a 2000 ss and a 48 dodge that I was restoring. and my wife has an explorer for daily use and 72 plymouth scamp for her fun car. this also would be a some day dream if I was still a tech. If you enjoy playing with cars take a couple of night classes to learn some things to make it more enjoyable for you but find another trade where you can make some really good money. Electricien plumber union welders make some really big money hvac is good. theres plenty of options out there. Oh and one last down fall is tools you have to supply your own and most techs have about 50- 200 a week to the tool guys, snap-on, matco; mac. you need the tools to make the job s go faster so its kind of a catch 22 the more you spend the more you can make and you will never have all the tools you need. My farther inlaw was a ford master tach for 30 years and was still buying tools until the day he retired. Sorry for the long rambling and good luck with what ever you decide.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Why would you want to be a mechanic??!!?? First year you work.... about 4 grand in tools. Tool box? shit that can cost you 5 grand easy if you by it from the big 3.

Dont do the mechanic thing. Its a lousy career, Stressful, Flat rates suck major ass. There are better jobs with more money with less stress. Dont be a mechanic.

I am a tech at Caterpillar. Working on machine's. It fucking sucks USUALLY. I have spent so much money on tools. Also, I will never be rich doing this job. They pay me just enough to keep me coming back everyday. Thats it. And thats what it will be for you.

Black
    99SS

MOST of what everyone said is true but things are slowly changing. with all the shit in cars these days laser/radar cruise contol, self parking, lane departure, accident avoidance, you almost have to be an engineer to repair some of these catastrophies. I always just did the highest quality work and didn't worry about the money. If you can diag and repair problems, have a good work ethic and attitute you will make it. You may have to look for a job or relocate but the $$$ is there. I do it because I love it. Would you put up with the BS if you were promised $100k? So just become an awesome tech and someone will give it too you. I have a friend in NJ and another in SC(SOW is my only friend here) and the service director aways asks if they will relocate. They would pick up relo. expenses, help with rent till a house can be found, sign on bonus, etc.
    I am furtunate I work in a remodelled A/C shop. The owner,who owns around 10 dealerships, knows all the techs names. The service dept is where money is made there isn't shit in sales anymore. OK, and about warranty which sucks, the dealer is usually very careful about throwing any red flags for an audit. The dealers NEED quality techs.
    Our dealership has one big team that pools all the hours and divides them equally. I do all the driveabilty and most comebacks. This allows some other less qualified techs to crank out gravy. As long as everyone works the system is awesome.
    I think every shop has at least one "top gun". I don't think I am that special of a tech. I think most guys get discouraged and become lazy. I always say "I'm not that good just determined" Sorry for the long post-again.

white
    01 Z-28

thanks everyone i see the good and the bad ...its not just for a career i love the stuff.. my buddy here used to have a shop and i would work for him on my days off.. of course i got the crappy jobs but they were the gravy ones cause of my limited experience but i loved them all and always did the best job i could as quickly as possible.. thats was how i paid off most of my snap on tools was working for him and he paid the bill everyweek...no a/c in the shop so i have a little feel for it and i still love it.. and i feel that if u really have a passion for what u do then u will be happier and do a better job at it and make better money in the end .... the posts are great keep them coming i will read every one thanks again everyone u guys and girls are awesome .. roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information