Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Mechanicing story from last night

Last night, in freezing weather in a shop with two reddyrocket heaters pointed at us, we decided to try to figure out why my car wouldn't come to temp and the heater wouldn't work.

Somehow I got convinced it's the thermostat not a clogged heater core so we decide to change the t-stat. Since we expected to spend time pulling the core, I convinced my two helpers to change the spark plugs. <-- bad idea.

We started this ordeal at 8pm. By 10pm we had two stripped t-stat bolts and two plugs removed.

After excessive amounts of loctite, cussing and two hours the t-stat is changed and the bolts are stuck. (It's my DD i'll fix it later)

12am: We have all the plugs on the driver side pulled, two pulled on the passenger side. Like the driver side, we noticed that removing the egr tubing from the exhaust manifold helps greatly.

One problem: the previous owner broke the coupling and used jb weld to put it back. So scratch that idea. What about from under the car? Factory tubes don't really want to give you access but it's possible so out comes cyclinder 6. By this time it's 18* in this sheet metal shed according to the "but I have an app for that" jesus phone.

2:30am: still don't have #8 out. Can't get a hand on it from underneath, can't reach it from the top. What to do? Link 2 wrenches together at the end of a 36" breakover bar? Sure why not. Out comes #8 @ 3:15am

We start looking at the plug wires and notice one wire is covered in blue corrosion. So we pull #2 coil and take a look at it. The plug connector is covered in corrosion as well. I clean the connector and in my exhausted stupor, spend the next 30 minutes trying to plug the coil pigtail into the plug wire connector

30 minutes later the plugs are back in and the antifreeze is topped off.

4:15am: We head home.

Results? Car gets slightly warmer, heater still doesn't get hot. FML.

Once the owner of the jesus phone uploads the pics of of his phone i'll post em up..

Cliffs: In case you didn't already know, spark plugs on 98 ls1 suck. Don't do it in the cold.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

Mechanicing?

black
    02 ss camaro

Plugs on a Ls1 are a cakewalk compared to a Lt1....you can get #8 from underneath real easy.A 5/8 swivel spark plug socket comes in real handy.I would try and backflush the heater core before replacing it.I do it by taking the heater hoses off the water pump and run a garden hose through one and let the other one drain in a bucket to see how much crap flushes out of the core.
    Last edited by importhater81; 01-09-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Mechanic-ing. Made up word, obviously. I blame sleep deprivation.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    Plugs on a Ls1 are a cakewalk compared to a Lt1....you can get #8 from underneath real easy.A 5/8 swivel spark plug socket comes in real handy.
    We didn't have one.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

Plugs on a Ls1 are a cakewalk compared to a Lt1....you can get #8 from underneath real easy.A 5/8 swivel spark plug socket comes in real handy.
    My 94Z28 was a pain in the ass to change

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by infantryws6 View Post
    I watched a coworker change his a couple of months ago. He wouldn't let me help cuz "he wanted to do it himself".

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by infantryws6 View Post
    I'll bet it was... Lt1's sucked to work on in general...glad they haven't made them in over 10 years and you don't see too many of them anymore,but they did run good back in the day.

Dark Steel Metalic
    98 T/A

I would try and backflush the heater core before replacing it.I do it by taking the heater hoses off the water pump and run a garden hose through one and let the other one drain in a bucket to see how much crap flushes out of the core.
    That's the plan, but it is a 98 with the original core, that's what i'm thinking it is. That coupled with the fact that the air stream is getting lost in the dash. The blower motor will kick itself out of your hand when you turn it on, but the air coming out of the vents isn't moving very fast.

Dash disassembly is next....

Thread Information