Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Man escapes charges for barbecuing pet dog

Man escapes charges for barbecuing pet dog
    August 19th, 2009

(CNN) — A man who roasted his pet dog to enjoy as a meal with his family and friends escaped prosecution after authorities in New Zealand determined the animal was killed humanely.
    “We were in a dilemma at seeing something we were fairly upset about — but being in a position of being able to do absolutely nothing about it,” said Garth Halliday, of the Auckland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, on Monday.

The SPCA — which investigates acts of animal cruelty and presses charges — responded to the house in Mangere, south of Auckland.

There, officers found the charred body of a Staffordshire terrier cooking in a barbecue pit.

“They had had the dog for a while, but the man told us his wife was getting tired of the dog. He was becoming a pest,” Halliday said.

“They decided to get rid of him. But instead of bringing him to the SPCA — which we recommend — they decided to have a meal, and cook and eat him.”

The family is from Tonga where eating a dog is not uncommon, Halliday said.

“He didn’t think he was doing anything wrong,” he said. Is eating dog meat acceptable? Sound Off below

The incident occurred in February. For the next few months, the SPCA looked into whether the man ought to be charged for the killing. Over the weekend, the organization decided it couldn’t because the animal had been killed humanely.

The man, Halliday said, struck the dog in the head with a hammer, rendering it unconscious. He then slit its throat.

“That is the normal way — if one can use that word — that animals are killed all over the world,” Halliday said.

And under New Zealand’s Animal Welfare Act, it is legal to kill an animal if it is slaughtered swiftly and painlessly.

Dr Malakai Koloamatangi, a Tongan cultural expert from the University of Canterbury, told CNN affiliate TVNZ that dog meat is a delicacy enjoyed mostly by young men in his homeland.

Still, the case infuriated and repulsed many New Zealanders.

“It’s appalling,” said Gracie Williams of Auckland. “As an animal lover, I am sickened. The law needs to be changed.”

Auckland Mayor John Banks, an animal rights activist, told reporters that rather than a new law, what is needed is better education of local customs.
    advertisement

In the end, the SPCA closed the case without charges.

“We talked to the people. We told them that although it’s not against the law, it is against the general culture of the country to actually kill and eat your own pet dog,” Halliday said.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Dog should have behaved

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Dog should have behaved

Click for full size

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Dog should have behaved

Click for full size
    Hey!!!

I could never imagine doing such a thing. Especially to a dog.

Hell, if I had to kill an animal to eat, I'd probably starve to death... But, I guess different cultures have different views.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

My grandmother has a welsh korgie(however it is spelled). The dumb ass dog still pisses in the kitchen where newspapers are layed out and if the dog decides too it shits on the carpet. Dog has never seen the back of a hand. Stole my shoes and socks-so I kicked it now the little fucker won't leave my side? If I had to eat that dog would be thrown in bbq pit with rosemary, onions, lemon and olive oil with a side of yukon gold potatoes and carrots.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Couldn't do it myself, but some people think it's cool to trap a monkey at a dinner table so only his head is exposed, then the people keep hitting the thing on the head until it dies then the waiter cuts the skull open and they eat the still warm brain. Saw that on "Faces of the Dead" or something like that, there were several videos with a name like that in the late 80s.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Several countries use what we consider pets as food.

The original use for Chihuahua's was as a beast of burden/food animal by the Aztec's during trips/excursions around Mexico. Now they are cute little pets.

When I did my tour of South Korea (74-75) dog was on the menus in most restaurants.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Dog should have behaved

Click for full size
    That is too cool! Got any mustard and relish?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Hey!!!

I could never imagine doing such a thing. Especially to a dog.

Hell, if I had to kill an animal to eat, I'd probably starve to death... But, I guess different cultures have different views.
    You haven't lived til you've killed, gutted, skinned and prepared Bambi for cooking.....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    You haven't lived til you've killed, gutted, skinned and prepared Bambi for cooking.....
    Ain't gonna happen

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Had some while station in South Korea 2001-02. I'm not sure how to describe the taste because they put their version of BBQ on everything. My S.Korean soldiers treated me out for dinner and that was what was served.

haha so true.

but seriously atleast they ate it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Thanks, you reminded me that I have some in the freezer, taken it for tomorrow.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

guy is an idiot......anyone with half a brain knows you should smoke a dog and not roast it.

I always end up on both sides of the fence on this subject. I personally would never even try dog....just not something that appeals to me in the least bit. It's actually pretty repulsive to me because I'm a dog person. On the other hand, not everyone is. Different cultures go for different things. There are people that could never fathom eating a steak and I love steak so I don't really feel I should judge someone else but it's something I'd never want to personally witness.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

My grandmother has a welsh korgie(however it is spelled). The dumb ass dog still pisses in the kitchen where newspapers are layed out and if the dog decides too it shits on the carpet. Dog has never seen the back of a hand. Stole my shoes and socks-so I kicked it now the little fucker won't leave my side? If I had to eat that dog would be thrown in bbq pit with rosemary, onions, lemon and olive oil with a side of yukon gold potatoes and carrots.
    WHile I dont recommend kicking your dog. The reason it now follows you everywhere is. When you kicked it you were actually using body language to assert your dominance. So now the dog considers you the "pack" leader or "Alfa". That dog will now most likely follow you into the gates of hell and back. Pack loyalty is what dogs are all about. Many dogs will and have given their lives for it. There was a documentary on the dogs that followed men into battle in WWII on the millitary channel. I consider it a "must see"...http://www.olive-drab.com/od_wardogs_history.php

Maximillian Talisman, SN W224-859, is piped off the Coast Guard Cutter Klamath with full honors after seven years of active duty starting in 1950. Max always did well on his standard test scores, qualified as a bridge-lookout, crossed the International Date Line twice and the Arctic Circle once, and earned the United Nations Medal, Korean Service Medal, and the National Defense Service Medal. He achieved the rank of Chief Boatswain's Mate.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-19-2009 at 08:39 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I love dogs. I'm surrounded by them on the couch right now, and... not even one of them looks appetizing to me what so ever

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wardog Memorial in Fort Benning Ga.

War Dog Memorials.
    The bond between military working dogs and their handlers is extremely strong, a life and death partnership between man and dog. After service has ended, the deep feelings for the selfless service of the dogs and the long lasting appreciation for the role of the war dog, has resulted in a number of permanent monuments to the dogs and their contributions.

War Dog Monument, Sacrifice Field, National Infantry Museum, Ft. Benning, GA. Dedicated 8 October 2000.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-19-2009 at 08:45 PM.

I used to joke about that kind of thing, but I can't see how someone could treat an animal as a family member and then cold-bloodedly kill and eat it. (A dog, on the other hand, could do that to its master.)

I didn't have to be told about the gruesome style of eating monkey brains or Asian fondness for dog meat; I'd already heard (and China is included). I even read that sometimes dogs are beaten to death as a way to tenderize the meat. I can think of a better target for such beating.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    guy is an idiot......anyone with half a brain knows you should smoke a dog and not roast it.
    You'd need a mighty big rolling paper for that.... EZ Wider?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I love dogs. I'm surrounded by them on the couch right now, and... not even one of them looks appetizing to me what so ever
    Try matching one of them up with a big bun....

After all you do have "Weiner" dogs.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information