Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: made it a week

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

made it a week

So i finally quit smoking, im on day 8 and can not tell you how much better i feel already. Ive been smoking for about 7 years and have been over a pack a day for the last 2. I honestly enjoyed smoking, but it just wants worth what it was doing to my health. Coughing and weezing all day and hacking shit up was getting really old. Ive been using a nicotine patch, i really think i could have quit without it but ill take any extra help i can get. Anyone else quit recently?
    Last edited by davidz28guy; 09-03-2009 at 04:01 AM.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

congratulations! plus, think of all the money you'll be saving by not buying cigarettes anymore. i know around here, a pack of marlboro's will run you just shy of $5.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

thanks, and depending on the store around here its just under 5 or just over 5, so yea 35 to 40 bucks a week, 140-160 a month, the money savings is a definite bonus to quitting

Arctic White & Black
    '98 WS6 M6 - SWAPTIME!

How'd you start to stop? I'm wanting to stop real bad but I'm definitely worried about the moods I'm gonna be swinging, food consumption and headaches the following week.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Good luck!

I quit cold turkey 8-9 years ago after smoking for 7-8 years. Just kinda happened. I kept myself busy and simply didn't light up for 48 hours. I even had a pack of smokes out in the car. Figured I got past the hard part and never lit up again.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

i picked up the nicotine patches from wal mart just for a little extra help, i quit on a thursday for some reason, so i smoked my last one before i went to sleep the night before, ive quit before cold turkey and i will say it is definately easier to get through with the patches, day one wasnt to bad, day two was worse, on like day 4 i had a shitty day and really wanted to smoke for a while but didnt, other than that ive been doing fine

i used the 21mg patches for the first week, ive gone down to 14 mg patches today, i think id be fine without them now but im going to go ahead and go all the way through there steps, i think this time is the first time ive actually been ready to quit and that is probably the biggest difference from the other times ive tried

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I quit a few years back. I had already cut back to only smoking a few a day. Work was so busy I didn't have time for a smoke break, I never smoked in the Camaro, and I didn't smoke in my house or around my son(if I want to hurt myself that's one thing, but I wasn't gonna smoke around my kid). When I ran out I just didn't go buy anymore. I still want one every now and then esp if drinking. But its not bad.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Good job! Stick with it. I can’t understand why with all the information out there people still smoke???? I truly think smoking should be illegal in the US. IMO people that smoke are seriously lacking intelligence.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Good job! Stick with it. I can’t understand why with all the information out there people still smoke???? I truly think smoking should be illegal in the US. IMO people that smoke are seriously lacking intelligence.
    thanks for the support, i agree in some ways, i dont feel anything should be illegal like that though, i think people should be able to do anything with there own body from smoking cigarettes to shooting heroin and everything in between, i knew the risks i took smoking and chose to take them, i dont think it is an intelligence thing but more of i dont give a shit type of thing, but as i get older i definitely am trying to make safer/healthier decisions for myself

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28guy View Post
    thanks for the support, i agree in some ways, i dont feel anything should be illegal like that though, i think people should be able to do anything with there own body from smoking cigarettes to shooting heroin and everything in between, i knew the risks i took smoking and chose to take them, i dont think it is an intelligence thing but more of i dont give a shit type of thing, but as i get older i definitely am trying to make safer/healthier decisions for myself
    I may have a strong hatred for a couple of reasons, father dead do to lung cancer, mother currently dealing with end stage emphysema, which means I’m dealing with taking care of her, her house, yard, car, trips to the doctor, calls in the middle of the night “I need help” which all I hear is gasping for air and I now it’s her. I don’t mind helping, I do it gladly, what I hate is to see her suffer like she does and five years ago this month caring for and watching my father pass away. People should get to do as they please in this country, however, who ultimately pays the cost of their choice to harm themselves? We do, if they have no insurance they are still cared for, if they do have insurance it’s paid for yet the cost of our insurance goes up. What if people who elect to smoke, do hard drugs or alcohol to the point of liver failure were told, yes, you can do all of this, however, when you become sick, there will be no medical options for you, you will accept the consequences of your actions. I wonder how many would start smoking, drugs or drinking to excess then. Father regretted smoking and my mom wished she had never started. I’m in the thick of it at the moment and having a hard time dealing with it…obviously. Most likely not all rational thoughts.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

dad used to always tell me "no one likes a quitter."

just messing with ya....good job and good luck. Takes a while and even though you think you got it licked right now you'll hit bumps in the road where it gets really tempting. I quit ~5-6 years ago. That first year had some tough spots in it but I made it through. The way I made it through is I looked at how far I had made it so far and would get pissed off thinking that if I started smoking all that was for nothing. I honestly couldn't smoke now if I wanted too. I took a drag off of one a week or so ago for shits and giggles and it tasted really nasty to me and left a horrible taste in my mouth.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

I may have a strong hatred for a couple of reasons, father dead do to lung cancer, mother currently dealing with end stage emphysema, which means I’m dealing with taking care of her, her house, yard, car, trips to the doctor, calls in the middle of the night “I need help” which all I hear is gasping for air and I now it’s her. I don’t mind helping, I do it gladly, what I hate is to see her suffer like she does and five years ago this month caring for and watching my father pass away. People should get to do as they please in this country, however, who ultimately pays the cost of their choice to harm themselves? We do, if they have no insurance they are still cared for, if they do have insurance it’s paid for yet the cost of our insurance goes up. What if people who elect to smoke, do hard drugs or alcohol to the point of liver failure were told, yes, you can do all of this, however, when you become sick, there will be no medical options for you, you will accept the consequences of your actions. I wonder how many would start smoking, drugs or drinking to excess then. Father regretted smoking and my mom wished she had never started. I’m in the thick of it at the moment and having a hard time dealing with it…obviously. Most likely not all rational thoughts.
    guess thats another point of view while ive thought about never had it written out in front of me like that or experienced first hand, i wouldnt call it irrational at all, and i can say i understand more where your previous statement is coming from, theres nothing worse than seeing a loved one suffering or in pain, sorry you are going through what you are

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I am 20, in Iraq(=lots of stress) and I have been trying to quit I was almost quit last friday till we got hit by an ied and then it was back to step one again. We have classes and the army is actually handing out wellbutrin I believe its spelled and nicoten patchs to help along with classes to get these pills.

red
    1995/2002 camaro z28's

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    I am 20, in Iraq(=lots of stress) and I have been trying to quit I was almost quit last friday till we got hit by an ied and then it was back to step one again. We have classes and the army is actually handing out wellbutrin I believe its spelled and nicoten patchs to help along with classes to get these pills.
    that would be a hard place to quit smoking, if i was over there going through that shit i can guarantee you id be straight chain smoking

Impounded
    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    dad used to always tell me "no one likes a quitter." just messing with ya....good job and good luck. Takes a while and even though you think you got it licked right now you'll hit bumps in the road where it gets really tempting. I quit ~5-6 years ago. That first year had some tough spots in it but I made it through. The way I made it through is I looked at how far I had made it so far and would get pissed off thinking that if I started smoking all that was for nothing. I honestly couldn't smoke now if I wanted too. I took a drag off of one a week or so ago for shits and giggles and it tasted really nasty to me and left a horrible taste in my mouth.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I quit cold turkey 4 years ago last month after smoking for 30+ years. I still jones for a butt every once in awhile. After my sense of smell returned I realized just how nasty they smell. I can even smell a cigarette from a few cars away while sitting in traffic.

I figure if I can quit then anyone can. It's all a matter of will power.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

IMO people that smoke are seriously lacking intelligence.
    I can understand where you are coming from, and that is one of the reasons I quit. I wanted to be around for my kid. And didn't want to set a bad example (I never smoked around him, but he was getting to the age he would have figured it out if I didn't quit)

But unless you are leading a totaly healthy life style, no smoking, no drinking, eating healthy, driving safe at all times . . ., it is the pot calling the kettle black.
    Last edited by blackcar; 09-03-2009 at 10:46 AM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I'm 2 months out of WoW after playing for 2+ years.

It's not smoking, but feels good man.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I can understand where you are coming from, and that is one of the reasons I quit. I wanted to be around for my kid. And didn't want to set a bad example (I never smoked around him, but he was getting to the age he would have figured it out if I didn't quit)

But unless you are leading a totaly healthy life style, no smoking, no drinking, eating healthy, driving safe at all times . . ., it is the pot calling the kettle black.
    I completely see your point. I don’t do every thing I could to be healthier, I do keep in shape and watch what I eat. I guess to be more specific I’m referring to doing things that are definitively known to cause illness. The cigarette packages in Europe state “SMOKING WILL KILL YOU”, as for alcohol, moderation should not kill you. I try not to be a hypocrite, but in some ways I guess we all are. Let’s stop writing about this now, remember to OP is having success with his quest to stop and that’s cool! He’s also going to appreciate the extra cash to spend on his car!
    Last edited by waldo; 09-03-2009 at 03:06 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I'm on day 1 Last night I told myself it was over. Lets see how this goes. To OP, congrats, stay strong.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information