Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Lowering the Drinking Age to 18???

http://www.thestarpress.com/apps/pbc...NTPAGECAROUSEL
    I was just checkin out my local newspaper today and caught this article. Our school doesn't support it, but there are many accross the country that due. This article doesn't really explain the supporters reasoning how this would help binge drinking, however. Whats your guys take on it?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

No.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i say no... most kids that age can't even drive right sober...

Silver, Black
    03 Viper, 05 Escalade

Definitely not. When I go to cruise night on Wednesdays, there are tons of immature 25 year olds that can't grasp the reality of drinking and driving. 18 year olds that are still in high school? good luck with that.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

I think it should be 19, by that time they are out of high school and they get over the initial hype of being an adult so they don't kill themselves on their 18th b-day. Personally I think if it's not as taboo people won't be getting drunk as much (and if they are going to, well they will whether it's legal or not).

There are a lot of countries with a much younger drinking age then the US, that have a lot less alcohol related problems.

Also, as much as I hate to bring up this argument, if you're old enough to choose to go to war and die for this country, I think you should be alowed to have a beer.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post

There are a lot of countries with a much younger drinking age then the US, that have a lot less alcohol related problems.
    thoes other countries don't have a fraction of the drivers we do. like i said.. more than half of them kids can't drive and don't grasp the reality of thier actions and how it may affect thier lives for ever...

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Also, as much as I hate to bring up this argument, if you're old enough to choose to go to war and die for this country, I think you should be alowed to have a beer.
    Although I have great respect for anyone who has or is serving this country, joining the armed forces does not mean you're above the law.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

No, I had to wait till I was 21. But on the other hand, people under 21 still get it anyways

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

actually the drinking age used to be 18 dependin on the state... due to accidents and injuries (drinking related) it was raised to 21...

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

i totally agree with above. if your trusted with weapons and such and can vote, why the hell cant you drink. in many other countries you can legally buy booze at 18.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Although I have great respect for anyone who has or is serving this country, joining the armed forces does not mean you're above the law.
    That's not what I'm saying at all, what I'm saying is if you're responsible enough to decide to go to war or as NHRA mentioned, choose our next president and stand responsible for your crimes. Then your responsible enough to decide to buy booze.

Yea the laws were 18, then 19, and I don't know how much of that was changed due to accidents and how much due to politics.

It's like the legal limit changing from .10 to .08, there really wasn't much prrof that it would make a difference and for that reason MN resisted it; however, once the feds threatened to cut road funding, MN jumped on board with the law. It's all about money and politics.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    thoes other countries don't have a fraction of the drivers we do. like i said.. more than half of them kids can't drive and don't grasp the reality of thier actions and how it may affect thier lives for ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    i totally agree with above. if your trusted with weapons and such and can vote, why the hell cant you drink. in many other countries you can legally buy booze at 18.
    see above...

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

see above...
    Not even talking about quantity of drivers but even to scale, they have less issues per capita. Granted a lot of that has to do with diferences in the overall culture but I'd like to hear from some of the older people on here that were around when the drinking age was lower, were there really that many more issues?

I'm guessing the prohibitionists used the same logic to argue allowing drinking at all.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Not even talking about quantity of drivers but even to scale, they have less issues per capita. Granted a lot of that has to do with diferences in the overall culture but I'd like to hear from some of the older people on here that were around when the drinking age was lower, were there really that many more issues?

I'm guessing the prohibitionists used the same logic to argue allowing drinking at all.
    some have tougher laws and don't put up with bull shit like we do... our laws are to lax... there are far to many variables to compare an 18 year old US resident to any other country...

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

some have tougher laws and don't put up with bull shit like we do... our laws are to lax... there are far to many variables to compare an 18 year old US resident to any other country...
    I would agree but I think it would make more sense to toughen DWI laws (especially for repeat offenders) then keep the drinking age at 21.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I would agree but I think it would make more sense to toughen DWI laws (especially for repeat offenders) then keep the drinking age at 21.
    all the damn laws need to be toughed... to much crime happens because our laws are something to laugh at... kill some one... get 3rd degree... get out in a year for good behavior...

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

all the damn laws need to be toughed... to much crime happens because our laws are something to laugh at... kill some one... get 3rd degree... get out in a year for good behavior...
    Won't argue or disagree but lets try to debate one issue at a time here

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

i say no... most kids that age can't even drive right sober...
    thats exactly what i was thinking
    i cant see it turning into anything good for our country to lower the age, espeicially since the maturity level in teenagers is so slow to begin with, i dont think allowing them to drink alcohol at 18 will improve the youth of america....at all.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

By the way, lets keep in perspective that most kids that would binge drink under the law change, already do anyways.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

*yawn* just let them drink at 18. That way they can actually go to bars and get drunk so the cops know where to look for them when they leave hammered, instead of having underage houseparties with blitzed kids leaving at all hours of the night with no cops around at all.

Also, x2 for the bullshit factor of being able to DIE for your country 3 years sooner then you can legally get hammered. You guys can hate on teenage drivers all you want, but it isn't going to change the fact that all the laws do is drive them into hiding and make them act more recklessly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information