Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2000 camaro

To lower, or not too lower

I have a 2000 Z28 that has stock springs and Bilstein shocks/struts. I had some blown shocks a while back and decided to replace them with something better than stock - but I kept the same springs due to monetary reasons.

I've noticed a few comments on this forum about lowered cars. What are the pros/cons of lowering?

If it's primarily for looks, can't I just get beefier tiers to fill the wheel wells (I have 17's with a low-profile tire so its the same total size as stock)?

Is there a performance benefit to lowering?

I searched but I couldn't find anything about pros/cons/benefits of lowering.

red
    2000 camaro

oh, and I just recently ordered 3-point UMI SFCs. .... in case that matters ...

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

I am very skeptical, well not skeptical, apprehensive because my ss is my daily driver when the snow is long gone. I have researched and found that the hotchkis springs only lower 1" total, which seems to be the "highest" out of all the lowering springs. I have driven lowered cars before and after they were lowered and must say the center of gravity is lower and they handle much differently. I just want a small drop on mine, so I am thinking the 1" drop would work great. Maybe somebody will tell me they really lower it like 2", but who knows. I also plan to do some bilsteins when I put the lowering springs on. I have umi subframe connectors, 2 point, and they work great. You will notice the first drive easily. Goodluck!

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

get the strano performance springs!! they're an inch and a quarter drop...sam strano is a f-body suspension guru over at tech and he customized the springs and sure enough the were a hit over at tech...only heard good things about them so i got them and they are a great set of springs...my car handles much better now...couldn't be happier...lowering the car has more to it than looks...if u want a better handling car then drop some cash on some springs bro! good luck!

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I love the way my lowered T/A drives

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i'm getting the stranos myself, still haven't decided on shocks, no idea what to get yet.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Thumbs down

Live & Learn !
    Just remember, we tried to warn you !

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Anybody have the hotchkis springs out there? How are they?

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I thought long and hard on which spring to use when I decided to drop my Camaro. I simply cannot stand the way our cars look from the factory with all that "air" in the wheel wells. When you think of all the great sport cars, none of them, not even Chevy's own beloved Vette, has so much 4WD look to them.
    I wanted to use Eibachs because I've had great success with them in the past. They offer both their Sportline, and their Proline. 1.8" and 1.5" respectively. I choose the Sportline. Much better handling, and the center of gravity is, of course lower, aiding handling as well, not to mention a little better aerodynamics. More air over the top, less under the car.
    In retrospect though, taking into consideration that I also have LT headers, my total ground clearance at the collector is exactly the same as if you take our factory key fob (alarm) and turn it sideways. I can ALMOST fit that thing in there. So, if my car was my DD it would certainly be a pain in the ass.
    Bottom line, if you're going to do LT's in the future, think twice about going this low.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

love my strano springs/koni's the difference in handling vs stock is incredible and the car actually seems to absorb bumps BETTER...gotta love them koni's its an easy install to do yourself as well ls1howto.com still need to get a front end alignment but i havnt noticed ANY inside tire wear after a few k miles..makes me wonder if the neg camber it now is is all that bad

i belive the drop is slightly more than 1.25 as well 1.3-1.4 measuring before and after seemed to take me from aprox 3.5 inches of wheel well gap to 2.0 ..looks sweet..oh and a commment to the post above mine ive heard bad things about sportlines...too much of a drop and the spring rates are too low for great handling ( aka soft) call sam up and he'll explain more than u ever wanted to know about your suspension....just do some reasearch before calling so u can keep up with him..lol
    Last edited by tonyjnjz; 11-15-2007 at 03:58 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    love my strano springs/koni's the difference in handling vs stock is incredible and the car actually seems to absorb bumps BETTER...gotta love them koni's its an easy install to do yourself as well ls1howto.com still need to get a front end alignment but i havnt noticed ANY inside tire wear after a few k miles..makes me wonder if the neg camber it now is is all that bad

i belive the drop is slightly more than 1.25 as well 1.3-1.4 measuring before and after seemed to take me from aprox 3.5 inches of wheel well gap to 2.0 ..looks sweet..oh and a commment to the post above mine ive heard bad things about sportlines...too much of a drop and the spring rates are too low for great handling ( aka soft) call sam up and he'll explain more than u ever wanted to know about your suspension....just do some reasearch before calling so u can keep up with him..lol
    Did you get the 4/4 konis? I'm really thinking about getting them, are they ok for drag racing too. I know they aren't a drag shock but a great handling shock. I'm just wondering, cuz I'd rather have good handling and a somewhat decent ride over a drag racing shock...

pewter

yes definitly got the 4/4s traction is fantastic considering 400 rwhp and street tires ...im more than pleased with it

No lowering for me. I just sold my car which was only lowered about 1.5" and scraped my drive way every time I backed out. I am happy with the stock ride height, and it is nice being able to get out of my garage without hearing a grrrrrrr.

Although lowered cars drive/handle real good on clean roads.

pewter

i have no problems with scraping..of course u have to use commen sense as well

black
    1999 camaro

Looks cool, but bottoming out sucks.

I'm not a fan of lowering. These cars are already low and lack sufficient ground clearance from the factory. My wife drives one of the 4th gens daily and the other I use 2-3 times a week. Both are stock height and we still have to be carefull entering some driveways etc....some of the parking lots are so steep you have to approach the entrance at an angle,,,,and it really pisses off other drivers. Quite frankly it's already nerve racking and worrysome at stock height,,,,,I can't imagine if I lowered these cars,,,what a pain in the ass that would be. I don't care about how the ride height looks,,,they are SS camaro convertables,,they already look good enough
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 11-16-2007 at 03:46 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I personally dont like lowered f bodies.

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

im all about lowering my cars. i have the pro-kit and in retrospect i should have probably gone with the sportlines to get even lower. granted my camaro isnt my DD, but i have literally only scraped the car once in the 17k miles ive driven, and that was because i wasnt paying close enough attention to the height of the curb when i was parking. man was that aggravating.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i have the combo you got, bilstein with stock springs, and i'm extremely happy with it. i decided against lowering because my car is a dd and clearance sucks when lowered. actually, it sucks already at stock height. i don't think the change in aerodynamics will be noticeable. i drive 120+ with my setup no problems.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

The front air deflector always scrapes over everything on my car @ stock height. Its embarassing when you bottom out pulling into sumwhere and people turn there heads like wtf was that lol. But I'd be worried if I was to let sum1 borrow my car(not too often), they dont know about avoiding everything. I want 2 lower my Z also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information