Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Losing weight

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Losing weight

So I have been putting it off for a while, but I really want to lose my beer belly. I'm going on vacation next week, so as soon as I come back I'm gonna get to work. I go to college, and we have a gym and everything so I can use that, or even join a gym if needed. I just had 2 questions for any1 who works out....

1) I'm targeting my stomach/belly so will cardio help? Im thinking about running for a half hour on the tredmill, but will I need to lift weights to lose my belly? I am taking 6 core business classes next semester, so I wont have too much time.

2) How quickley can I expect results and any diet needed? Should I get a trainer for a while?? Never really lifted weights before, but I realy gained weight now.
    "Life is to short to drive a slow car"

Gone but not forgoten: 1998 Pontiac Trans Am M6 "The Black Bandit"
    Bought- 11-18-05
    Sold- 10-14-08

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

You are young and probably want faster results. But I have done nothing more than start drinking more water thanks to Crystal Lite type water mixes, and thus less soda and other stuff. With only that going for me I have lost 35 pounds in the last 8 months, about a pound a week, doesn't suck for just drinking more flavored water...

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    You are young and probably want faster results. But I have done nothing more than start drinking more water thanks to Crystal Lite type water mixes, and thus less soda and other stuff. With only that going for me I have lost 35 pounds in the last 8 months, about a pound a week, doesn't suck for just drinking more flavored water...
    Well thats a key area Im gonna target. No junk food (maybe once in a while) and drink only water and juices. But I want to workout and eat healthy so I am guaranteed results. I just wanted some quick opinions (didnt really wanna joine a BB forum to ask one question)

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

For me diet is everything. So be smart about it. Walking up hill help me lose more mass. If I run I put on muscle so if you're trying to lean out use light weight and high rep. I'm not an expert but you don't have to be when you're just get started. Constancy is key for the first 5-6 months. If you can't stick to a routine for that long then don't even bother.

You have youth on your side so you'll see results faster then me. When I was 20 I couldnt put weight on to save my life, now I put on 5 lbs if I walk throught the kitchen.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

the more muscle you have the more fat you will burn through the day. I'd do a mixture of the two. I've been doing a combination and have seen really great results, went from a 40 waist to a 36, 2XL shirts to XL. But you gotta eat right. I quit soda entirely and do the crystal light method above with only water.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

if your wanting to cut some weight quick start each day with at least 2 bottles of water and drink tons of it, i probably piss 8 times a day and as for your stomach do sprints. not half ass sprints you should be about to puke when you finish then do as many burpies as you can rest, repeat

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

dont drink coffee and and start mega dosing fish oil.

simply put, coffee turns on to store fat, fish oil turns off the body to store fat and turns on fat blockers.

Also cut out sugars, alcohol and high fructose corn syrup

increased cardio is a must, while at the same time excercises aimed at your core. These excercises typically target multiple areas, not just one., like a situp

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    dont drink coffee and and start mega dosing fish oil.

simply put, coffee turns on to store fat, fish oil turns off the body to store fat and turns on fat blockers.

Also cut out sugars, alcohol and high fructose corn syrup

increased cardio is a must, while at the same time excercises aimed at your core. These excercises typically target multiple areas, not just one., like a situp
    I've asked somewhere here before but dude didn't know so i'll ask you. Is it some funky chemical in the coffee bean that makes you store fat or is it the caffeine? I'm askin because I don't drink much coffee but through a pre-workout supplement I get a lot of caffeine.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    Well thats a key area Im gonna target. No junk food (maybe once in a while) and drink only water and juices. But I want to workout and eat healthy so I am guaranteed results. I just wanted some quick opinions (didnt really wanna joine a BB forum to ask one question)
    IMO is you're just looking to lose weight and not necessarily get into shape diet is the key...any added activity will speed up the weight loss as a bonus. Water is good but watch those juices they have more sugar than most sodas. If you feel a need for a soda only drink diet. Some taste like shit but a lot are really good like dr.pepper, vanilla or cherry coke zero, squirt, a&w root beer, sprite zero. Eat 5-6 small healthy portions a day to speed up your metabolism.

Also everyone's body is different but i've never been able to spot reduce before or know anyone that has. So basically you'll lose weight everywhere and if you don't develop some muscle you'll just get scrawny and weak IMO.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Ok this is reallllllly simple
    only water, no fast/processed foods, lots of cardio (sprinting, not jogging), plyometrics, high rep/low weight ab workouts. NO SUPPLEMENTS NECESSARY!!!!!!

PM Orion

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Coffee doesnt make people fat, its all the crap they put IN the coffee that makes them fat. Ie creamers, milk, sugar etc. Caffeine AIDS in fat burning.

OP you are gonna have to find out what your basal metabolic rate is. This number is the number of calories you need to sustain where you are currently at. Then deduct 500 calories from that number per day. Add cardio to that and you will start burning fat. You cannot spot reduce fat by exercises, so all the ab and core bullshit you see people doing will not do a fucking thing for making your abs visible if your bodyfat is too high. Start eating cleaning and start doing cardio every single day for 45 mins.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

once you get used to it (grow a pair), coffee with nothing else is fantastic. Wikipedia did not mention coffee making you store fat, so it can't possibly be true

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I've asked somewhere here before but dude didn't know so i'll ask you. Is it some funky chemical in the coffee bean that makes you store fat or is it the caffeine? I'm askin because I don't drink much coffee but through a pre-workout supplement I get a lot of caffeine.
    Yes coffee does promote gaining and storing fat.

-coffee turns on the lipogenic genes (the fat storing genes)

Tea is better then coffee for burning fat while giving you the extra caffiene buzz if needed before working out. Tea does not turn on lipogenic genes, tea does promote thermogenesis (raising body heat and burning fat). Also helps protect lean muscle tissue and balance blood sugar levels.

This goes back to my first posts in here about fish oil.

Excellent reasons that mega doesing on fish oil is great!

Cell membrane health: EPA and DHA insure that cell membranes remain healthy. This means that the membranes are flexible and contain larger numbers of insulin receptors that are more receptive and responsive to circulating insulin. This results in decreased fat storage in the adipocytes (fat cells).

2. Fish oils turn on the lipolytic genes (fat burning genes).

3. Fish oils turn off the lipogenic genes (fat storage genes).

4. Fish oils diminish C-reactive proteins, a newly identified risk factor associated with various inflammatory diseases, including atherosclerosis, angina, coronary heart disease, heart attack, stroke, congestive heart failure, and diabetes. The DHA fraction of the fish oil seems to be one most responsible for that protective effect. DHA also has the best ability to reduce blood pressure.

5. Increase utilization of fat stores from the adipocytes.

6. Preferential utilization for energy production once stored in the adipocytes.

7. Reduced inflammation from physical training.

8. Pain management from the reduced inflammation.

9. EPA regulates blood supply to the brain which is essential in maintaining focus in weight training sessions. DHA is important in brain membranes, memory, and cognitive function.

10. Fish oils increase serotonin levels (the happy neurotransmitter). Therefore, fish oils will decrease incidence of depression, anxiety, panic attack, and reduce carbohydrate cravings.

11. Fish oils will improve your cardiovascular risk profile by lowering VLDL, triglycerides, homocysteine, fibrinogen, and increasing HDL levels. Combining fish oils with plant sterols will improve lipid levels even more than either alone.

12. Fish oils can also decrease blood pressure by several mechanisms. These include increases in the vasodilatory compound, nitric oxide, reducing vascular inflammation, blocking the constrictive elements in the vascular wall such as the calcium channels reducing blood viscosity, and inhibiting a blood vessel constrictor (thromboxane). Lipoprotein (a) is another CVD predictor that can be lowered by fish oils (a 19% reduction was seen with natural, stable fish oils and just 4% with a highly purified fish oil).

13. Fish oils are a great stress fighter. Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids inhibits the adrenal activation of steroids, aldosterone, epinephrine, and norepinephrine (catecholamines) elicited by a mental stress, apparently through effects exerted at the level of the central nervous system. Therefore, for the same amount of stress, one will produce fewer stress hormones if consuming fish oils on a regular basis.

-Charles Poliquin
    - excellent fitness coach

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

l canitine tartrate is good for fat burning along with CLA.

I like the fish oils for the heart health aspects alone. I could care less about the tons of other benefits, not dying of a heart attack is high priority to me

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    l canitine tartrate is good for fat burning along with CLA.

I like the fish oils for the heart health aspects alone. I could care less about the tons of other benefits, not dying of a heart attack is high priority to me
    agreed...

fish oil is amazing.

sadly the suggested serving for people is about 2 grams a day. 14 grams a week.

when actually we should have 60+ grams a week. Which is not easy unless you always eat fish.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I do not drink tea or coffee

A few thoughts:
    High-intensity interval training is the best form of cardio. Circuit training also is good. Sleep benefits metabolism. Diet soda won't help with weight loss. A pound per week is a reasonable goal.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I am eating pizza and cake reading this. I can feel the weight melting off. I am a dedicated cardio intensive eater. The secret to weight loss is take a big shit.
    Look at Oprah. She only takes one massive dump every three or four years.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Try switching to a light beer. Those IPA's will just pour the pounds on you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information