Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

looking to switch

As of right now i have a 95 2wd v6 for what i drive in the winter to get me around. as for the summer i drive a 02 vette. i'm thinking of selling both and getting a 04-06 6.0 lifted tires rims the whole 9yards. i am sick of driving this piece of shit in the winter just wondering what you guys think of this. no more vette but have a good truck for the winter.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

do what makes you happy, but you will miss the vette power....

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

i know i will miss the vette power! thats one downside to it.

pewter
    99 trans am

what is this 2wd v6 you speak of?

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

1995 gmc reg cab, long box, power nothing, no cruise control. does have ac though i drive my car most of the time in the summer

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

why not sell the 95 and try to pickup an older truck with 4wd. I mean its gonna get trashed with salt on the roads anyway why sell both cars to get a nice truck?

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

The 6.0 trucks are pretty expensive. Seems like if you're not willing to spend over 15-17k, you're going to most likely end up with a high mileage truck. And there is absolutely no way whatsoever I'd ever buy any sort of Fullsize Chevy powered truck with high mileage, I hate to generalize like that but I just don't trust these things at all.

And with that said, a V10 F-250 or 2500 Hemi Ram of the same year (04-06) would be a good compromise.

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

Quote Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
    why not sell the 95 and try to pickup an older truck with 4wd. I mean its gonna get trashed with salt on the roads anyway why sell both cars to get a nice truck?
    salt isn't to bad up here in Manitoba dads truck is a 97 with almost 400k and not rusted. can' do that cause i owe money on the vette and the 95 is worth about nothing maybe if im lucky id get 2000 for it.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    And there is absolutely no way whatsoever I'd ever buy any sort of Fullsize Chevy powered truck with high mileage, I hate to generalize like that but I just don't trust these things at all.
    what is your reasoning behind this statement? i wouldnt at all be afraid of a high milage chevy if the price is right....i trust em over any ford or dodge...and thats not being biased, thats just bein real.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Why not get rid of the bike and truck instead? That probably won't get you into a 6.0 without payments but you could pay cash for a late 90's GMC/Chevy and still have money to lift it. IMO high mileage GM's are plenty reliable and I wouldn't buy a V10 for any amount. They are a compromise as stated above, they compromise fuel economy........

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I'd take a high mileage Chevy over a new Ford or Dodge

LSX motors can go 3XX,XXX miles beat on if maintained properly.......why couldn't a truck

Just sayin....
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Impounded
    gmcheviac

my grandpa had a 33xxxx mile lq4, sold it in fine order. Shit ton of idling and hauling. A 6.0 will consume fuel at a voracious pace in a big 4x4

98 Formula
    06 duramax

go diesel if you're going for a big truck....you won't regret it. I love mine. I thought I'd miss the GTO a lot more than I do but I love my truck. Won't ever own another gas burning truck again.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

^ This statement can rain true depending on how much cash you have. Buddy has a Diesel and it makes tons of power/torque (Modded) They get expensive but are worth it. Depends on what you want/need.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    what is your reasoning behind this statement? i wouldnt at all be afraid of a high milage chevy if the price is right....i trust em over any ford or dodge...and thats not being biased, thats just bein real.
    Well, mines spun a rod bearing at 122xxx miles which wasn't long ago, the truck was daily driven for the most part in stop and go traffic since February of 2004 when it was new but has always had it's regular maintenance done. Sure, it was driven in stop and go traffic everyday and I understand that's hard on a vehicle, but that still can't justify the fact that the 5.3 self-destructed itself at 122k miles, especially since they actually stayed on top of it maintenance wise. Had a lot of weird electrical problems as well that just shouldn't have occurred on a vehicle that's only 7 (6 at the time) years old.

So yeah, that's basically my reason. I won't even get into the '96 Tahoe my parents traded in to get my current truck, I think you get my point. I'm done with LS based trucks for life most likely after all of the shit I've gone through with my current one. I'll try my luck with a Ford or Dodge if I ever have the need to get another gas powered truck that I drive everyday.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    Well, mines spun a rod bearing at 122xxx miles which wasn't long ago, the truck was daily driven for the most part in stop and go traffic since February of 2004 when it was new but has always had it's regular maintenance done. Sure, it was driven in stop and go traffic everyday and I understand that's hard on a vehicle, but that still can't justify the fact that the 5.3 self-destructed itself at 122k miles, especially since they actually stayed on top of it maintenance wise. Had a lot of weird electrical problems as well that just shouldn't have occurred on a vehicle that's only 7 (6 at the time) years old.

So yeah, that's basically my reason. I won't even get into the '96 Tahoe my parents traded in to get my current truck, I think you get my point. I'm done with LS based trucks for life most likely after all of the shit I've gone through with my current one. I'll try my luck with a Ford or Dodge if I ever have the need to get another gas powered truck that I drive everyday.
    You have just had bad luck.......kinda like a 98 LS1 losing oil pressure because the pump goes out and self destructs. For every 1 that does that, 10 won't. My buddy had a 5.3 that would out run stock LS1's and run with lightly modded ones. Did this all with 22" wheels on it Got over 2XX,XXX before he traded it off on a Diesel. To each their own

Impounded
    gmcheviac

head gasket or a new head would have prevented that

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    You have just had bad luck.......kinda like a 98 LS1 losing oil pressure because the pump goes out and self destructs. For every 1 that does that, 10 won't. My buddy had a 5.3 that would out run stock LS1's and run with lightly modded ones. Did this all with 22" wheels on it Got over 2XX,XXX before he traded it off on a Diesel. To each their own
    Yeah man, maybe you're right. Might have just been a big case of bad luck. Because it truly seems like my folks and I are the only people in this country that have seriously had unexpected major problems with these trucks. But it's cool, because I'll never invest in another one of these in my lifetime. Like I said, I'll try my luck with a Ford or Dodge if I ever need another gasser.

BTW, yeah don't get me wrong, the Chevy's and GMC's are VERY nice when operating properly.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    head gasket or a new head would have prevented that
    It was too late by the time it started showing symptoms, coolant had already leaked down into the block and everything, there was no saving that motor.

pewter
    99 trans am

replacement truck engines can be had for less than 1k....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information