Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

Looking to start up a business, looking for input

I'm looking at starting a business and am working on the business plan and studying up on everything that has to do with running a business of the sort. I don't plan on actually having an operational business for about a year. My question is, has anyone here started their own business and if so how. My main concern is money and the lenders, I'll need a bit of money to get started, but right now I'm projecting a good income from the business, which will be better shown within the business plan. Curious to see if anyone knows any tricks of the trade into getting lenders to say yes, or if anyone knows of any grants or anything for small business owners. Also I'm in the military, so I'm wondering if there are any grants for that... maybe? Any input into any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

strip club, Girls work for tips, You can charge 500% more on beer, and the fringe benfits might be interesting!!!

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

See if there are any small business development centers (sbdc) near you. The sbdc's around here have a relationship with the SBA that gives graduates of their programs (requirements are not that difficult) favorable consideration of loan applications.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Oh and I almost forgot the shameless plug, make sure you hire a good accountant.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    strip club, Girls work for tips, You can charge 500% more on beer, and the fringe benfits might be interesting!!!
    owning a strip club is a cash cow! provided you can deal with zoning issues, gettin pinched for prostitution, angry boyfriends coming to the club creating drama, and the russian dancer "agencys".

Quote Originally Posted by zggill04 View Post
    I'm looking at starting a business and am working on the business plan and studying up on everything that has to do with running a business of the sort. I don't plan on actually having an operational business for about a year. My question is, has anyone here started their own business and if so how. My main concern is money and the lenders, I'll need a bit of money to get started, but right now I'm projecting a good income from the business, which will be better shown within the business plan. Curious to see if anyone knows any tricks of the trade into getting lenders to say yes, or if anyone knows of any grants or anything for small business owners. Also I'm in the military, so I'm wondering if there are any grants for that... maybe? Any input into any of this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
    Are you planning on starting this business after you separate? If so, read this...

http://www1.va.gov/oamm/oa/dbwva/index.cfm

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

can't help you on the buisness end, but I'd be thrilled to help your promotional endevours!

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Start here: http://www.score.org/
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Black n Black

Thanks for the help guys. I'm actually looking at starting a night club... no not a strip club, but in my home town. There really isn't a nice one there and everyone heads to Cleveland which is somewhat of a drive. There is a college there, it's right off the freeway, so I mean everything points to a prime spot. Right now I'm utilizing the good ol' myspace to get feed back from people in the area. I just started that up so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have people providing me with a bunch of feedback on what they may want in it/ good bad idea, you know, just what they think. The hardest part I see is dealing with lenders because of my age. I just don't want them to shut me out because I'm younger. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm not going to think things through, plus I feel that I'm more mature then most my age <- God I sound like a 17 year old, and shit I'm about to be 22 haha. I don't know, I'm in the information gathering stage so I'm like a vacuum. I appreciate the input and I'll be reading the two sites that have been posted in response. Any other tips feel free to let me know! Thanks again.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    +1, I used to teach a tax workshop every other month at score seminars. It is a good way to network with very established business people.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

what kind of business are you going to start...

Black n Black

I want to start up a night club

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm actually looking at starting a night club... no not a strip club, but in my home town. There really isn't a nice one there and everyone heads to Cleveland which is somewhat of a drive. There is a college there, it's right off the freeway, so I mean everything points to a prime spot. Right now I'm utilizing the good ol' myspace to get feed back from people in the area. I just started that up so hopefully in a few weeks I'll have people providing me with a bunch of feedback on what they may want in it/ good bad idea, you know, just what they think. The hardest part I see is dealing with lenders because of my age. I just don't want them to shut me out because I'm younger. Just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm not going to think things through, plus I feel that I'm more mature then most my age <- God I sound like a 17 year old, and shit I'm about to be 22 haha. I don't know, I'm in the information gathering stage so I'm like a vacuum. I appreciate the input and I'll be reading the two sites that have been posted in response. Any other tips feel free to let me know! Thanks again.
    holy cow...i thought you said a strip club, b/c we're actually workin on one now...that would have been really convenient timing!

Black n Black

Naw, there are some strip clubs around here and they don't do to well, it's worth the drive to Cleveland to hit up those strip clubs I hear, just not worth it for the night clubs. So I figured, get the guys and girls both, and have a night club, girls go to dance, guys go to try and "mack" on the girls. Drinks go around, guy gets laid, girl claims rape, and the viscious cycle starts again the next night!! But hey if you find out any good information, let me know if you would. And hey, when that strip club of yours goes up, lemme know, I'll drive down to take a gander at the southern ohio

Black n Black

Oh, and third shift, if/when the time gets closer, I will need someone to run all the promotions, lemme know what you can do and I'll deffenently keep you in mind when the time rolls around. Like I said, I feel like a college student craming for finals!! Gotta get it all down on paper, organize, then present it.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

make sure that if you do a nightclub that your area can support it. make sure to promote it as well. have enough room for a decent stage and a place for a crowd for live concerts.

we've had several nightclubs in my town go down the drain because they didn't do the above..and they didn't pay their taxes or their beer guy or their workers...a number of things.

oh...and don't name it "The Flaming Inferno" as our newest nightclub in town is named.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I would go and get a part time job at any other night club first. Perhaps work a couple of weeks, givbe notice, then try another one.... Take notes...

It is a rough business, despite positive demographics for your area. Marketing, Advertising, decor, music, food, licenses, legalities, availability of qualified help, accounting/bookkeeping...

Be prepared to work a 7x24 work week for a few years.

I have been in that business before, and been a musician, and it is a hard way to make money but it can certainly be done if you have enough backing, have done your homework (business plan, oinvestors, research), and are willing to work your butt off.

Make sure you have an exit strategy as well as from what I recall average life of most (certainly not all) nightclubs is about 10 years before a major change is required.

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

i don't know much about starting one but I worked in one. Make sure you get good honest people, and consistancy. The bar/restaruant I worked in was forever changing things - people would show up expecting a band on Friday nights -and they wouldn't have one - killed thier business. Just stay consistent.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I want to start up a night club
    there is a lot of shit that goes in to running one... insurance is a bitch... the alcholo license is another matter... you also will need an entertainment permit... bouncers... door men... video surveillance equipment... you will probably want a kitchen to make burgers and shit like that... cleaning equipment... you will also need a lawyer for when some jack ass has to much to drink and crashes his/her car or starts a fight... and the list goes on for a long time...

my advice to you is to talk to owners of clubs in the area... tell them you are new to this and want to start your own night club... it would be a great oppotunity to learn and possible get a co-owner...

i wouldn't go in to something like that alone...

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I didn't read all the responses so if I am repeating something then so be it.
    I have multiple successful companies that range from Insurance to Technology. I started all of em from scratch and my Great Grandkids will benefit in a major way....in other words...they make money.......so here is my advise for anyone starting up a business and I don't care what type of business it is nor what industry it is in.
    1) Think your gonna be cash positive in 12 months? Plan on 36 Months.
    2. Have enough cash to fund the business and pay all your bills plus vacations and unplanned stuff for 60 months before quitting your day job.
    3) Never ever borrow money or sell equity to start a business. Once your cash flow positive you can borrow and sell equity to fund growth or expansion for pennies......start up...they'll break it off in your ass and own you and your business....your just working for them and have accomplished nothing.
    4) Never hire family or friends.
    5) Have insurance and lots of it.
    Last edited by Sarge; 08-26-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information