Page 1 of 12 12345 ... LastLast

Question Looking to purchase a sport bike.

AKA a crotch-rocket.

I have always wanted a crotch-rocket ever since I was a little kid and my dad rode a Honda Interceptor in the early 90's. Since I have moved on to a better paying job I now have enough spare funds to afford a bike while going to college. I know how to ride a bicycle but I have never rode a sport bike before or any powered bike for that matter. Of course I will take the proper precautions and actually make sure I'm fully confident in my riding abilities before taking it on the street. I'm not going to make some foolish mistake and jump on the road not knowing how to ride just so I can be on the 10 o'clock news. For my first bike I want to go cheap so if I drop it no big deal. As of right now I have set my budget around $4500 MAX and it just so happens their is a blue 2002 Yamaha YFZR1 with 12000 miles for $4500. But the fact that my first bike will be a 1000CC model makes me kinda nervous. It would be like getting an LS7 ZO6 for your first car at 17 years old. :drive: Before I look any deeper into buying a bike I have some basic questions I was hoping I could have answered. A lot of the bikes I have looked at in my price range tend to have around 10K ODO and I was wondering would this be considered high mileage for a bike? What kind of maintenance issues do you have to deal with beside basic upkeep (oil, plugs, etc). Is their any particular model of bike you would recommend?

Thanks

Trans Am owner
    former

the yzf-r1 models not as powerful as the regualar r1.

the naked bikes would be more newby freindly. stick with yamaha. they are the best.
    Last edited by LT1 > LS1; 03-31-2008 at 02:10 PM.

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Don't say some dumb shit like "Yamaha is the best".... And don't get a liter bike to start. Before you spend any money on a bike go take a MSF course and pick up Keith codes book called "twist the wrist" I belive the second book in the series is focused on street riding. trust me on this

Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Take an MSF course and buy like a used 600-750 standard, like a Nighthawk or something. They have decent power that you wont bore of quickly and they wont kill you as easy as a sportbike. When you really get experienced with that bike if you still want to, step up to the sportbike. Any late model 600cc sportbike has enough power to really ruin your day and when you dump it, and you will, the plastics are very expensive to replace.

Trans Am owner
    former

i like yamaha what can i say? all my friends have yamahas. they are damn good bikes.

any way. if you don't want yamaha, look into a 250 or a 500 ninja

black
    98 WS6

03 up SV650 naked
    $4500 should be enough to get 05 and up with black frame that looks better
    trust me - it will be a great bike for you

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

you're gonna DIE!!!!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Get a hayabusa turbo

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    Get a hayabusa turbo
    +1. best nooby bike.

For FasstChevys: Never take bike purchasing advice from me.

black
    98 WS6

BTW yamah do not make good starter bikes

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

My very first Motorcycle (only one I've had) was a Yamaha 2004 R6-- I absolutely loved it-- especially compared to my buddies 03 Honda CBR 600R.

R6 was an awesome bike.-- As long as you aren't a complete idiot on it, you will be fine..

I wouldn't do a 1000 (starting out) You can have plenty of fun with a 600.

NO offense but the naked bikes are FUGLY IMO.

If you care nothing about looks are are only trying to learn how to ride, then buy a used junker-- beat the shit out it, and get something nice later.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

buy a Honda Rebel

lol

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i started out an a 2002 Suzuki SV650. i paid $5,000 for it brand new but you could get one...or the SVS model (with fairings) for maybe $3k or less now. you could probably get the newer generation for a few bucks more (2003+ fuel injected much nicer).

i highly recommend the SV650S for a beginner bike. they may not have the power of an R6 but they are a ton of fun and they are plentiful and you can get one for a good price and insurance won't kill you like it will on a fully faired bike.

i currently have an 2003 SV1000S and i'm paying $500 per year for full coverage so you can get the SV650S for less money for insurance.

like others have said definitely take the MSF course...it's a ton of help. and go down to the library and pick up a book called "twist of the wrist." it was written by a champion racer aimed directly at beginner and novice bikers in order to make them better.

The new 2008 Ninja 250R seems like a great starter bike. The redesigned body looks great and from what I heard they are some of the funniest bikes to ride and learn on. One thing that does concern is the fact I'm a heavy set person (weigh around 240-250) and I'm wondering if that is to much for a 250cc. I mean how would this thing handle if say I needed to merge onto a freeway going 75 mph? Would my extra weight slow the bike down?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    The new 2008 Ninja 250R seems like a great starter bike. The redesigned body looks great and from what I heard they are some of the funniest bikes to ride and learn on. One thing that does concern is the fact I'm a heavy set person (weigh around 240-250) and I'm wondering if that is to much for a 250cc. I mean how would this thing handle if say I needed to merge onto a freeway going 75 mph? Would my extra weight slow the bike down?
    As far as a new bike the new 2008 Kawasaki Versys looks like a good bike ... get some fra,e sliders for if you lay it down and looks good for putting in some good miles ..

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    you'll be disappointed with a 250cc. like myself and pecha have said...look at an '03+ SV650S. excellent starter bike and you won't be bored with it after a year. tons of aftermarket for it.

look around here if you want more info or pics...i hang out over there as well...

www.sv-portal.com

Trans Am owner
    former

try a 250 2 stroke dirt bike. they hang the front wheel up half throttle in 3rd gear. you aint gonna bog that thing down. this kid i know has one. its a handful. if you get some street tires, it would be down right fast. bad part is. it sounds like a bunch of firecrackers goin off. it is LOUD!!!!!!!

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

For your mileage question, if you get a high high performance bike like a r1 they are strung really tight to get that kind of performance out of them. Like 15,000 rpm red line tight. So after like 20,000 miles I would definatley rebuilt the top end. New piston, rings, etc. Cause siezing a crotch rocket going 70 on the interstate would ruin your day. As for riding them, they are a piece of cake imo, just don't get stupid with the throttle(I got a ticket once for popping a wheelie if you can believe that shit). My only advice really is where a helmet, pants(never shorts) and when you start wear coat, sliding on cement may fuck up plastic, but it leaves the worst burns and scrapes ever on your body.

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    My very first Motorcycle (only one I've had) was a Yamaha 2004 R6-- I absolutely loved it-- especially compared to my buddies 03 Honda CBR 600R.

R6 was an awesome bike.-- As long as you aren't a complete idiot on it, you will be fine..

If you care nothing about looks are are only trying to learn how to ride, then buy a used junker-- beat the shit out it, and get something nice later.
    To start off with, my first sportbike was, and still is my 2007 Hona CBR1000RR. I don't feel there is a good starter bike, they are all dangerous from 600cc sportbikes, if not lower yet on up. It all depends on the rider. If your an idiot any bike is going to kill or seriously injure you. I have over 2100 miles on my bike now and have yet to lay it down, I've been on twisting roads, done wheelies, raced, you name it, but I do have a brain. I've never had a motorcycle safety course, but do suggest it.

As far as the comment above. Yamaha's are nice looking bikes but when I was looking at bikes I was deciding between the Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki, I looked at it like this, Honda was number one on my list because you don't see many of them around in my area, the Suzuki, everyone and their mother rides one, and then Yamaha, the reason it was last on my list is because they are an awesome track bike, but not as nice as a streetbike, and I say this because I've read alot of complaints from Yamaha fans stating that the bike was built to run in the upper RPM area. The only thing I ABSOLUTLY hate about them is the fly by wire throttle. I've ridden my buddies 05 R6 and hated it. The power band doesn't feel like it kicks in really till about 9K 10K RPM range, like I said above, pure track bike, where as my bike you feel it kick in right at 3k RPM then it's a holy shit ride from there all the way through the RPM range.

Now, I love to go fast, I love the power of the 1000cc compared to the 600cc's and had the debate to get a 600 or a 1000, and now that I've ridden a bit I'm glad I went with the 1000... but as stated, you can have plenty of fun on a 600, easier to cut with and mess around on then the 1000s.

As far as naked bikes, I agree they are FUGLY and you'll never catch me on one.

To answer your question about miles. I wouldn't say you can put a mark on what is considered high milage for a sportbike. You have to really look at how the bike was treated it's whole life. If it's been ridden hard it's whole life then you'll probably get about 15k to 20k before you run into problems with it and need to replace parts. If it was taken care of I don't see why you can't get 30k out of the bike before you run into any real problems.

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post

if you care about the looks and NOT trying to learn how to ride you are a fackin POSER
    sorry dude but I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than LOOK good on a fast bike

Page 1 of 12 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information