Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

looking at military options

i'm leaning towards joining a reserve program for whatever i do so i can still get some job training in there while i hold down a job and have a better chance of staying closer to home. i've talked to the navy and army and i'm gonna talk to the air force and maybe the coast guard as well. if anyone has experience with any of these and which one may fit me the best please share. i wanna be a pilot, or electrician, or something in rescue. i lean towards reserve because i could probably make more money at home while they train me and make me a better person. i need the motivation and discipline in my life instead of wondering what i want to do with my life. plus i lean towards reserve because i dont want to go to a foreign country and get my ass blown up. no offense to anyone when i say that, i have the highest respect for everyone who is involved in that and a few friends that have been there, it's just not what i wanna do. sorry for the long post, just want some input from you guys and what yall may recommend.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

army national guard is always a good option. tons of MOS' to choose from all in the fields that you are interested in.

White
    02 WS6

First off....the reserves often go before the Active duty. LOL...weekend warriors my ass!! THem boys spend more time in the desert than me...and I've been in over 10 years....I'll be doing my first desert deployment sometime probably in the next 6-8 months. You get outta the military whatever you put into it.

dale

If you don't want to go over, the air national guard is your best choice. My dad just retired from it after 32 years. The most he ever went over for was 6x days. He only went to Iraq twice since the war started. The reason for this is because they mainly protect the borders of the country and within the country. They are the ones that would have taken out the commercial aircraft on 9/11.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS Coupe M6

i was active for 5 years...now im in the nasty guard.... deploying all depends on the mos your choose

Toyota - Tacoma
    2008 - Silver Streak

coast guard

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    i'm leaning towards joining a reserve program for whatever i do so i can still get some job training in there while i hold down a job and have a better chance of staying closer to home. i've talked to the navy and army and i'm gonna talk to the air force and maybe the coast guard as well. if anyone has experience with any of these and which one may fit me the best please share. i wanna be a pilot, or electrician, or something in rescue. i lean towards reserve because i could probably make more money at home while they train me and make me a better person. i need the motivation and discipline in my life instead of wondering what i want to do with my life. plus i lean towards reserve because i dont want to go to a foreign country and get my ass blown up. no offense to anyone when i say that, i have the highest respect for everyone who is involved in that and a few friends that have been there, it's just not what i wanna do. sorry for the long post, just want some input from you guys and what yall may recommend.
    Damn dude...completely eliminate the Marines why don't ya All I have to say is no other military uniform pulls pussy like our Blues. I know you're going to say you don't need a uniform to get ass...but it makes it soooo much easier.

arctic white
    97 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    <---------------

or be a marine, after your done, join the S.W.A.T ive already talked to them after i get out to join it

arctic white
    97 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    coast guard
    no way, i got a cousin in the coast guard and i thought he was a badass till i saw what marines do

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

Quote Originally Posted by partemisio View Post
    If you don't want to go over, the air national guard is your best choice. My dad just retired from it after 32 years. The most he ever went over for was 6x days. He only went to Iraq twice since the war started. The reason for this is because they mainly protect the borders of the country and within the country. They are the ones that would have taken out the commercial aircraft on 9/11.
    yea im leaning more towards the air force at this point. but yall keep the info coming. it's a HUGE decision and i want all the information i can get before i make one.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

A pilot or an electrician? That's a bit of a range of different career choices, dont ya think?

Anyway, to be a pilot, you'll need a college degree, impecable references, perfect vision (or corrected with documentation), all sorts of stuff. That being said, if you need the military to 'give you discipline', that pretty much ixnays the pilot option.

All things considered, I'd chose Coast Guard. Lots of career opportunities after your 20, especially in the maritime industry, especially if you go the Port State Control route.

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

yea i got all kinds of things i wanna do. it's not that i get into trouble or anything like that. the worst trouble i've been in was just some traffic tickets. the "discipline" is more or less for me to have the motivation and direction to focus on one thing i wanna do and do it. i've been jumping from job to job trying to find what i want to do but cant seem to find a good one yet. i'm gonna go talk to the air force later today and the nearest coast guard is in houston so i dont know when i'll get around to talking to them. just studying their website alot lately.

"A small town called none of your god damn

Silver
    2006 Cadillac CTS-V

F that noise! Go infantry

arctic white
    97 firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 SS Beast View Post
    F that noise! Go infantry

Black Cherry
    1939 Chevrolet

USMC-Naval Aviation- The best combination there is! Don't even try if you're not 100% serious!

White
    2003 Ram 2500

Im in the National Guard I wish I just would have went active at first. Dont think just cause your some weekend warrior you are not going to go over there. Im not even out of AIT yet and they already have orders for me to report with my unit to Fort Bragg 10 days after I leave this hell hole. If you do go guard DO NOT go as a 63B trust me. I would go for something in the 15 series that is what I want to remos to.

Artic White
    2000 Camaro SS

I did active Army straight out of High School. Light infantry with 10th Mountain Division in the early 90s. Since then I did 6 years with the National Guard, mech infantry, and now I'm a Seabee with the Navy Reserve.

From a reserve standpoint things changed dramatically after 9/11 and drastically after Iraq started. The one weekend a month, two weeks a year gig is gone... A corpsman in our unit said it's like we're no longer reservists but rotating active duty. I think he was spot on. The optempo is much higher now as are the training requirements. I'm not trying to piss on your parade but through my 11 years in the reserves times have changed. Even as a reservist, EXPECT TO GET DEPLOYED. If that is something you cannot deal with then don't do it, simple enough...

On potential jobs there are tons depending on what you're interested in. Every swinging dick wants to be a pilot so if you're not a perfect physical specimen with a bachelors degree already you're most likely SOL on that route. It's been a few years since I was Army but the warrant officer flight program was a good option, though tougher than hell to get a slot and you had to be E4 or E5 promotable if I remember correctly. Which means you'll need 2-3 outstanding years under your belt to get a recommendation.

If I had it to do over again I'd go to college first. I went on to earn up to a masters but since my degrees don't match up with what the Navy Reserve needs specifially I'm ineligible for a commission with them. I'm a HS teacher btw, not a big need for history and education degrees... Now, there's always the option to go back to the infantry and OCS...nah!

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
    coast guard
    The Coast Guard is NOT the military.

08 HD FXSTB
    2010 F350

Didn't read the rest of the thread but if you think the reserves don't get deployed you are an idiot. If you want to fly it isn't going to happen enlisted. Talk to the Reserve recruiter about submitting a WOFT packet, you can become a Warrant Officer and fly that way

Thread Information