Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red
    1998 Trans Am

Question Looking for an AWD that is fun to drive

Unfortunately, after 6 years of owning (AND LOVING) my 1998 ws6 vert, I am going to have to sell...

My wife and I live in Nebraska and have a baby on the way, so my TA is no longer a realistic option. I am in the market for an AWD and 4dr car with some balls. No more than about $23K...

Looking into a 2009 CTS 4 (304 HP) / 2006 Audi S4 (340 HP) much cheaper than S6 but nearly 100 HP less and smaller... / 2007 Audi S6 (435 hp) appears to be a beast but at top of price range.

Does anybody have any experience driving either or all of these? Anything other car that I should be looking into?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by NicksTA; 11-27-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

If you are looking at a used German car, BEWARE.

It's not that they are bad cars since they really aren't. It's just that at ~100k miles they develop an appetite for $$$$$ parts that are part of typical wear and tear. As an example, the water cooled alternator on my buddies' BMX X5 was $1400.

Those 2 Audis are nice cars but a potential BIG money pit. If you go there, be prepared.

I am a fan of turbo Subies with their near unlimited aftermarket.

It doesn't hurt that they are reliable and get decent MPG.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Im a huge fan of the audi quattro system...but as previously stated, do not buy one that is outside of warranty because it will put a huge dent in your wallet. With that said, they are an absolute blast to drive...I drove a friends S4 up GA400 in a down pour doing like 80mph and the car was stuck to the ground...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Audi quattro is a good system. Subarus symetrical AWD is also very good. Beware of the v8 s4s. They have timing chain issues.... which are on the firewall side of the engine. Shops charge 6-8k to replace them.

I have always like the subaru legacys (i used to own one) as I never like the ricerness of the STI and for 23k you can get a nice spec b model. It comes with a nicer interior, navigation, bilstein suspension parts and the STI rear torsen diff and 6 speed manual gear box. They only have 250hp stock but with some exhaust and tuning 260-270awhp which is about 330-350 or so crank is easy to reach. And at 3400lbs it is much lighter than the s4 as well. I used to pull on 4.6 liter mustangs from a roll no problem and if we raced off the line I would get a couple cars on them by 60mph.

The golf R has been out for a year or so but I doubt you can get one for 23k as they are 35+ new.

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

Regal GS AWD (new in 2014 though). My wifes CTS is AWD, overal been and awesome car, just several updates to software for stupid issues, all under warranty.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit02 View Post
    Regal GS AWD (new in 2014 though). My wifes CTS is AWD, overal been and awesome car, just several updates to software for stupid issues, all under warranty.
    Too bad GM uses a pussy E-AWD system. It works for most people though and I guess that is what matters but audi's and subaru's is still better. Also the 2014 regal GS has 11 hp less than the 2011 model..... why gm? Why did you go from 270hp to 259.... 270 was suh a nice number. They also got rid of the manual option for 2014 if that matters to the OP.

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

Manual is still available but only on the fwd.

How are the other systems better?

"New for 2014, the Regal's all-wheel drive option is a Haldex system, involving two clutches, one to transfer power fore and aft (up to 100 percent to either end, contingent on traction and other operating parameters), the other apportioning power side to side between the rear wheels.

The system also incorporates an electronic limited slip differential -- damping power to the wheel losing grip -- as well as a new rear suspension setup."

Sounds to me that it will perform very well from both a performance and bad weather standpoint.

Arctic White, red/gray

Because I like my AWD to be fun. That is why I liked my subies so much. 3 diffs and a longitudinally mounted engine is the way AWD should be. AWD all the time with either 40/60 split or 50/50 split or something in between. None of htis constant shuffle of power. I am not a fan of the newer systems that move power around, front back side to side. The driver should need to do the adjusting and when you are power sliding or AWD drifting a snow covered corner it is so much more fun.

As I said the new systems work for your average person who just wants to drive through the snow with the least amount of effort or thinking. And I know the benefits of having it be FWD bias for when you are just cruising to bump up the MPG but I still prefer a more mechanical full time AWD system.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I haven't heard any complaints about this^^^

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Another vote for Scooby Doos. Affordable parts awesome reliability

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Click for full size

You mean besides the fact that it's so ugly it inspires spontaneous puking from onlookers? And it sounds horrible. And the driveline is questionable on the reliability front. And the interior is garbage.

A 335i xdrive is going to blow away the CTS and the Audi, and in stock trim probably beat an STi as well.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Its funny you're the only person I've come across to question Subaru reliability...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    You mean besides the fact that it's so ugly it inspires spontaneous puking from onlookers? And it sounds horrible. And the driveline is questionable on the reliability front. And the interior is garbage.

A 335i xdrive is going to blow away the CTS and the Audi, and in stock trim probably beat an STi as well.
    he never said it had to look pretty....

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post

You mean besides the fact that it's so ugly it inspires spontaneous puking from onlookers? And it sounds horrible. And the interior is garbage.
    This!

OP so I am guessing the Audi R8 is out huh but its awd .
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 11-28-2013 at 07:09 AM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

I'd prefer something that SOME find ugly and runs every day than something that SOME find beautiful and gives me far too many opportunities to admire it sitting in the driveway.

I like the look of some Subies.

I used to have an Rx7 Turbo that was a gorgeous car. I used to frequently admire its muscular fender bulges and sweeping curves as it sat waiting on more parts.

If the LS1 swap kits were as common then as now I'd likely still have that damned/wonderful car.

Liquid Red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Infiniti G37X? 330hp and still reliable and fun. Chances are you can find one still under factory warranty for your price too. That 7 speed auto is really nice too.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Its funny you're the only person I've come across to question Subaru reliability...
    I have to work on one constantly. And it isn't exactly a secret that those cars have issues. The STis have weak drivetrains as well The only company to ever solve most of the boxer engine designs' flaws is Porsche.

lolz @ me being the only one

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    .I used to have an Rx7 Turbo that was a gorgeous car. I used to frequently admire its muscular fender bulges and sweeping curves as it sat waiting on a new engine.
    fixed

FD?
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Yes. FD=Flawed Design, though my turbos had the sequential vacuum hose nightmare removed.

I only changed the engine once in the time I had it.

But as I frequently tell people, that car was like a bad girlfriend. On the days it ran right it was an absolute thrill to drive with power, handling, and braking that were incredible.

On the other days it was a spiteful bitch that you wanted to push off a cliff.

Even though I've lived the nightmare, I still sometimes find myself perusing used ones with an LS1 swap devil sitting on my shoulder.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Click for full size

I know 2 guys who own one and both claim that the motors are the issue after 100,XXX miles but the drive train and suspension holds up really well. Thats only 2 people though so it could be better if you look at the over all group
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Looking for an AWD that is fun to drive

subaru interiors are tiny if you care about comfort, especially for the 3rd and 4th passengers. they may fit 5 but sure as hell not comfortably.

are you looking for a race car or something sensible? any car with a 300+ v6 nowadays is pretty nice. awd suvs are practical for hauling.

what about an awd charger or equivalent.? that 390 hp hemi cooks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information