Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Local Speed Shop Rant

So yesterday I planned to install the Racetronix Fuel Pump/Hotwire Kit and my Moser 9". Well, I had taken the 10 Bolt, Panhard Rod, and exhaust out on Monday. And on Wednesday I took both rears to my local speed shop to have them switch out the LTx backing plates that were on the 9" for my LSx brakes that were still on my stocker. When I took it to the shop on Wednseday, I told them that I needed it by Friday, so I could install it on my day off. They said it would be ready.

Fastforward to yesterday...my buddy and I get the tank out of the car, the new pump in, the hotwire installed and the tank back in the car. After turning over a few times, the Trans Am starts up and runs perfectly

So now for the rear. I call the shop and they inform me that the rear is ready for pickup. My friend and I take my Suburban up to the shop, load it in the back and take it home. After a lunch break, we take the rear out of the Suburban and put it under the Trans Am. Right before we're about to jack it up into the car, I notice something odd...the e-brake hook is facing the wrong way. THEY INSTALLED THE BRAKES BACKWARDS!!! They put the driver's side on the passenger side and visa versa So, I call the shop up and tell them what happened. The secretary (who is very knowledgeable and nice as hell), tells me to bring it back to the shop. So my friend and I put the rear back in the truck and take it back to the shop.

When we get there the guy who did the work insisted we were wrong and that he never messes anything up. He then tried to say that GM never built a car that had the calipers installed on the front of the rear and that this rear was for a ford truck After that, I told the owner of the shop what the tech said, he wasn't happy

Anyway, since the shop closes at 1700 and it was getting on 1600, I knew that the rear would not be done till after the weekend. Now I have to wait till next Friday (my next day off) to get my car on the road. On the brightside, now I can paint my rear calipers while they're off the car

/endrant

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

PS: 9" Rears are fucking heavy...my back is killing me from lifting that thing more than I should have yesterday...

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Autofab made that kind of boo boo?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Autofab made that kind of boo boo?
    How'd you know?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Hmm I would just make them refund some of the cash and do it myself in less than an hour

Red
    2001 Trash Can

damn that sucks. You have the motor work done already?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Hmm I would just make them refund some of the cash and do it myself in less than an hour
    I don't have the equipment to press bearings, or else I would have.

Quote Originally Posted by 01ws6er View Post
    damn that sucks. You have the motor work done already?
    No, that work is being done during my Spring Break in April...I had to put it off when my fuel pump died.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post

No, that work is being done during my Spring Break in April...I had to put it off when my fuel pump died.
    ahh, gotcha! I'm gonna be cutting a trap door to do mine soon. Where'd you get your racetronix kit and for how much $$$

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

All the local parts stores here can press a bearing. Autozone,O'Reilly,Advance,Napa etc.. I know it is to late but you might check your local parts store out. And FYI they did not charge to press my bearings. Took them all of a few minutes.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Didnt know you had to press bearings. Only backing plates and brackets

My bad

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

How'd you know?
    You mentioned a female secretary that had a clue what was going on. Good people working there. I can't bash anyone for that. I did the samething on my first 9" install. Just got a ahead of myself and was used to doing Dana and 12 bolts which are equal length

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

ahh, gotcha! I'm gonna be cutting a trap door to do mine soon. Where'd you get your racetronix kit and for how much $$$
    Straight from Racetronix...ended up being $230 after shipping. I didn't think it a good idea to buy it from anyone else incase they forgot to include something.

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    All the local parts stores here can press a bearing. Autozone,O'Reilly,Advance,Napa etc.. I know it is to late but you might check your local parts store out. And FYI they did not charge to press my bearings. Took them all of a few minutes.
    I didn't know that. Then again, I really wouldn't trust anyone around here to properly press bearings for me, they're mostly a bunch of retards.

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    You mentioned a female secretary that had a clue what was going on. Good people working there. I can't bash anyone for that. I did the samething on my first 9" install. Just got a ahead of myself and was used to doing Dana and 12 bolts which are equal length
    Ah gotcha...Linda is the best

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I didn't know that. Then again, I really wouldn't trust anyone around here to properly press bearings for me, they're mostly a bunch of retards.

LoL pressing a bearing isn't rocket science. Most of the parts store workers here are pretty good. Heck alot of them work on their own cars. And many of them are racers 1/4 mile,oval,dirt track etc. Heck If I had the press I would do the bearing myself. Was just offering a way to get it done before next Friday. Good luck hope it all comes out okay.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

And the speed shop you initially went to is not a bunch of retards???????

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

PS: 9" Rears are fucking heavy...my back is killing me from lifting that thing more than I should have yesterday...

Oh I know! I did my 12 bolt all by myself!!! I had the assistance of a nice transmission jack and set of tools though.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    LoL pressing a bearing isn't rocket science. Most of the parts store workers here are pretty good. Heck alot of them work on their own cars. And many of them are racers 1/4 mile,oval,dirt track etc. Heck If I had the press I would do the bearing myself. Was just offering a way to get it done before next Friday. Good luck hope it all comes out okay.
    Depends on the area you live in. Back where I used to live (and where I'm moving back to) most of the parts stores had pretty knowledgeble people. Out here in the Philly area, they are almost all retards.

Depends on the area you live in. Back where I used to live (and where I'm moving back to) most of the parts stores had pretty knowledgeble people. Out here in the Philly area, they are almost all retards.
    I have been to Laurel, Maryland a lot and its not any better.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    I have been to Laurel, Maryland a lot and its not any better.
    This man speaks truths.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

just out of curiosity did the guy working on the rear know the FORD rear was infact going in a GM Fbody?

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    just out of curiosity did the guy working on the rear know the FORD rear was infact going in a GM Fbody?
    Only good thing Ford ever designed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information