Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

license suspension from another state

ok I don't know if anyone has any experience with this kinda thing or not but I am in texas right now stationed at fort hood but have a florida drivers license. I was pulled over a few weeks back and arrested for racing a dodge charger and I know one of the penalties for this is a one year suspension of your drivers license but from what I have been told as long as my license is outta state then its more than likely that it will not get back to florida to be suspended. is there any truth in this?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Florida & Texas share DL info.
    If you get a suspended DL they will report the suspension to Florida.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

hmm alrighty.. just someone I know was supposed to have his license suspended from a ticket in virginia and florida never did it.. do they just work differently from state to state

"now,you pissed us off!!" Trouble maker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    ok I don't know if anyone has any experience with this kinda thing or not but I am in texas right now stationed at fort hood but have a florida drivers license. I was pulled over a few weeks back and arrested for racing a dodge charger and I know one of the penalties for this is a one year suspension of your drivers license but from what I have been told as long as my license is outta state then its more than likely that it will not get back to florida to be suspended. is there any truth in this?
    Better save the boob job money..for the attorney fees...

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble maker View Post
    Better save the boob job money..for the attorney fees...
    Zing*

Black
    99 Z28

IME, it's been that if I've gotten a ticket in another state from where my DL is, that as long as I just paid the ticket, it didn't get to my record.

This happened twice. It was in Wyoming both times that I got tickets, but my driver's license is in Colorado. State to state in other states could be different.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

It's a jurisdictional thing. How can you be punished for a infraction commited outside the jurisdiction of your home state? Also I would think there would be double jepordy considerations....in other words...how can you be punished in Texas and in Florida for an infraction in Texas? Do you have a national drivers liscesne or a state drivers liscense.....
    Of course....speak with a lawyer....and flip off Chargers on 290 from now on

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    It's a jurisdictional thing. How can you be punished for a infraction commited outside the jurisdiction of your home state? Also I would think there would be double jepordy considerations....in other words...how can you be punished in Texas and in Florida for an infraction in Texas? Do you have a national drivers liscesne or a state drivers liscense.....
    Of course....speak with a lawyer....and flip off Chargers on 290 from now on
    its driving a vehicle, not murder in the first degree. if double jeopardy worked this way, everyone would be killing in other states and getting away with it.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

eh I'm not gunna get a lawyer.. I think the penalty is a little harsh for the crime. Hell the race was from a 30 roll and I shut down at 60 just cause my point was proven. however I did commit the crime and I'm not going to fight it. I just have a feeling that my license will end up not being suspended unless I'm late on my fine and the mandatory community service.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by MISFIT View Post
    its driving a vehicle, not murder in the first degree. if double jeopardy worked this way, everyone would be killing in other states and getting away with it.
    No...you missed the point...I said if your punished in one state you cannot be punished in another for the exact same crime. So to use your anology...if I killed somebody in New York I'd be sent to prison for a long time ( I assume)...when I got out I couldn't be prosecuted in Texas.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    eh I'm not gunna get a lawyer.. I think the penalty is a little harsh for the crime. Hell the race was from a 30 roll and I shut down at 60 just cause my point was proven. however I did commit the crime and I'm not going to fight it. I just have a feeling that my license will end up not being suspended unless I'm late on my fine and the mandatory community service.
    That type of mindset I'll never understand...by getting a lawyer doesn't mean your not manning up to what you did or didn't do...you are insuring you receive every consideration under the law. Sorta like my Dad used to tell me....with taxes there are really two levels of taxpayers....the uninformed tax payer and the informed taxpayers...neiter is breaking the law...it's just one group pays less taxes within and by using the law.

No...you missed the point...I said if your punished in one state you cannot be punished in another for the exact same crime. So to use your anology...if I killed somebody in New York I'd be sent to prison for a long time ( I assume)...when I got out I couldn't be prosecuted in Texas.

I got the point just fine. you travel to another state, you follow that states laws of the road. just cause you live in FL or Alabama, doesnt mean when you go to Texas you can drive with wreckless abandon....

whatever punishment you get, for breaking their laws, is the punishment you deserve, and your home state will always honor that. the points will carry over, and the suspension will aswell. when that doesnt happen is when it was never sent to the DMV or transferred and lost in the system, in that case, you lucked out.

for example, VA Points dont transfer to MD, but suspensions do....if you dont pay your fine fdor speeding in VA, your license gets suspended/revoked in MD....and then MD adds the points you were originally NOT going to get.
    Last edited by Sarge; 08-27-2006 at 12:59 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am M6

unless they don't share info, like NY and NJ (one of the few that NJ doesn't share with)

talk to a lawyer

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

That type of mindset I'll never understand...by getting a lawyer doesn't mean your not manning up to what you did or didn't do...you are insuring you receive every consideration under the law. Sorta like my Dad used to tell me....with taxes there are really two levels of taxpayers....the uninformed tax payer and the informed taxpayers...neiter is breaking the law...it's just one group pays less taxes within and by using the law.
    I hear ya old man. Pretty much if ya go in blind theres a better chance of getting fucked by the system however I have read through the laws and the mandatory punishments and know exactly what to expect when I do have to see the judge and even an attorney I talked to said with something as simple as this I'm better off calling the prosecutor and just telling him I'll plead guilty for minimum punishment. A judge will almost always listen to the recommendation from the prosecutor on something like this and the prosecutor will be more willing to help you if they don't have to go through the work of setting up a case against you and making multiple courtroom visits..

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

why give up before anything even happens? why not 'plead not' guilty and if this is your first offense or have never been given 'diversion' ask to see if you are eligible for it. then if you are granted diversion, pay your fine, do your community service, and do your probation time and stay out of trouble. pleading guilty leads to a conviction, so does pleading 'no contest'. why have that on your record when you have the opportunity to have nothing on it relating to this charge period?!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I got the point just fine. you travel to another state, you follow that states laws of the road. just cause you live in FL or Alabama, doesnt mean when you go to Texas you can drive with wreckless abandon....

whatever punishment you get, for breaking their laws, is the punishment you deserve, and your home state will always honor that. the points will carry over, and the suspension will aswell. when that doesnt happen is when it was never sent to the DMV or transferred and lost in the system, in that case, you lucked out.

for example, VA Points dont transfer to MD, but suspensions do....if you dont pay your fine fdor speeding in VA, your license gets suspended/revoked in MD....and then MD adds the points you were originally NOT going to get.
    MISFIT....you said I dont agree with you Sarge...if that was true folks would be killing somebody in one state and running back to another state scott free.....that is what you said.....Now you post this above? WTF?
    Step away from the pipe.

MISFIT....you said I dont agree with you Sarge...if that was true folks would be killing somebody in one state and running back to another state scott free.....that is what you said.....Now you post this above? WTF?
    Step away from the pipe.
    exactley what in my post did you edit at 4:59?

anyway....my point is, in VA, you get a ticket for street racing, your punishment is actually being arrested, and getting a charge. your license is then suspended in MD. However, you dont get any points.

You dont pay the fine, along with your suspension, you'll not only get the suspension, but the points aswell, plus your license stays suspended.

the poiunt being, it will carry over, someway or another.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

exactley what in my post did you edit at 4:59?

anyway....my point is, in VA, you get a ticket for street racing, your punishment is actually being arrested, and getting a charge. your license is then suspended in MD. However, you dont get any points.

You dont pay the fine, along with your suspension, you'll not only get the suspension, but the points aswell, plus your license stays suspended.

the poiunt being, it will carry over, someway or another.....
    Hahaha...I went to hit reply and hit edit by accident...I didnt edit nothing man....just old and missed my aim there LOL....OK me and you are good.

1970 Fbody

My understanding is Florida will do nothing. You will have a suspension on the texas computer and found guilty. Your insurance company can see it and hold it against you for rates but florida will not suspend you.

Are you at risk of losing your base driving privileges too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information