Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lexus SC400.

Question Lexus SC400.

Anyone here own an SC400 or a Lexus with the 4.0 V8 engine? See here is the deal, one of my more distent family members has a 1993 SC400 that he plans on selling within the year. By time I get the car it will have around 160K which makes me question how much longer the engine will last. I know the SC300 uses the same inline six cylinder as the Supra and the 3.0 can last til around 300K, not sure about the V8 version. The car itself is in great shape and the interior is almost spot less. If I do buy the Lexus it would replace the the Camaro. I just really don't know much about these cars so any input would be nice.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Cerwin Vega Fan View Post
    Anyone here own an SC400 or a Lexus with the 4.0 V8 engine? See here is the deal, one of my more distent family members has a 1993 SC400 that he plans on selling within the year. By time I get the car it will have around 160K which makes me question how much longer the engine will last. I know the SC300 uses the same inline six cylinder as the Supra and the 3.0 can last til around 300K, not sure about the V8 version. The car itself is in great shape and the interior is almost spot less. If I do buy the Lexus it would replace the the Camaro. I just really don't know much about these cars so any input would be nice.

I would be ohnest with you, and I am only saying this cause I have been threw a mess with Ls400 in the past and it had high miles, and it was thus the same Motor. Don't do it save your money. Your going to be making huge replacements in it in the future.

Black & Brilliant Silver
    1999&1997 SL600 6.0 V12's

he is wrong. any car can be treated with total disrespect, and become a pos. its a toyota. it will last forever if its treated right. when they drop the bomb. it will be mercedes and toyota's running around. my father had many ls400's he was selling cars at the time. now its almost all realestate. he also has 4 500sl's. they came with the 100,000 mile warranty from way back in the day. like i said. mel gibson would have been driving a merc or a toyota if mad max was real. get it. it will hold till you dont know how to drive anymore.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by D!ck View Post
    he is wrong. any car can be treated with total disrespect, and become a pos. its a toyota. it will last forever if its treated right. when they drop the bomb. it will be mercedes and toyota's running around. my father had many ls400's he was selling cars at the time. now its almost all realestate. he also has 4 500sl's. they came with the 100,000 mile warranty from way back in the day. like i said. mel gibson would have been driving a merc or a toyota if mad max was real. get it. it will hold till you dont know how to drive anymore.
    So your father's LS 400 has gotten past 170,00 miles! He did not have to replace the a/c pump, 7 sensors. I never said Toyotas won't last buddy. I said that if I was him I would look at other routes. I have a brand new Tundra for work, and it's a great truck, and have also owned two Supra's.

Better yet just take it to your mechanic. I recently stated that he could have better options.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

1992-2000 Lexus SC 300/400: Reliability
    Trouble Spots
    Consumer Guide's® Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Audio system: Because the radio antenna is not properly grounded, weak AM stations have static whenever another electrical device, such as wipers or turn signals, are used. (1992-94)
    Automatic transmission: The car may not upshift, downshift, or may start in the wrong gear on electronically shifted transmissions due to a faulty ground circuit. (1992)

Check-engine light: The check-engine light may come on because of a problem with the fuel vapor emissions system. (1995-00)

Dashboard lights: A defective EVAP (evaporative emissions control) system charcoal canister causes the check-engine light to glow. Both new car and emissions controls warranties apply. (1997-98)

Dashboard lights: Due to a problem in the printed circuit, outside temperature reading may report -22F. Removing the fuse for 30 seconds should reset the system. (1995-96)

Doors: Defective hinges cause a popping noise when the front doors are opened. Revised hinges are available. (1992-94)

Keyless entry: The screw that holds the battery cover in place on the key transmitter falls out. (1992-95)

Oil consumption: Excessive oil consumption caused by sludge buildup on the cylinder heads. Company is extending warranty. (1993-00)

Suspension noise: Popping, clunking, or rattling noises from the rear are often due to a loose retaining nut on the support. (1992-94)

Consumer Guide® Estimated Repair Costs
    This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region. Expect charges at a new-car dealership to be slightly higher.

Item Name Repair Cost

A/C Compressor $1,160
    Alternator $730
    Automatic Transmission or Transaxle $1,410
    Brakes $210
    Constant Velocity Joints $1,240
    Exhaust System $970
    Radiator $680
    Shocks and/or Struts $1,310
    Timing Chain or Belt $290

NHTSA Recall History
    1996-97 SC 400: Improper assembly of terminal for starter-motor switch can cause a short circuit.

My mistake on the LS 400 motor that was not introduce to 96!

A/C Compressor $1,160
    Alternator $730
    Brakes $210
    Exhaust System $970
    Radiator $680

This was the shit that got me all pissed off that had to be replaced...

Black & Brilliant Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
    So your father's LS 400 has gotten past 170,00 miles! He did not have to replace the a/c pump, 7 sensors. I never said Toyotas won't last buddy. I said that if I was him I would look at other routes. I have a brand new Tundra for work, and it's a great truck, and have also owned two Supra's.

Better yet just take it to your mechanic. I recently stated that he could have better options.
    never had any with that high of miles. but they are made with quality parts, and built right. if i knew somebody that took care of there car, and i wanted the same kind of car. i would get it. its better than having to wonder what has happend to it, or who has been tinkering on it.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

never had any with that high of miles. but they are made with quality parts, and built right.
    They are a great car's never said they weren't . Personally, I think Lexus, and Toyota you can't copare them to any-body else. Not to offend any-one. I am still letting him know thou when somthing breaks on them it breaks. Own one for yourself buddy then let me know..
    A/C Compressor $1,160
    Alternator $730
    Brakes $210
    Exhaust System $970
    Radiator $680

Not included labor there chief.

Black & Brilliant Silver

you just listed everything that could possibley go wrong. any car cost alot to replace a trans. or get new ac compressor. so you bought a car with a bad compressor, bad alternator, bad trans, bad brakes, bad cv joints, bad exaust, bad radiator, bad shocks, and a broke timing chain?? did you ever test drive it?

Black & Brilliant Silver

They are a great car's never said they weren't . Personally, I think Lexus, and Toyota you can't copare them to any-body else. Not to offend any-one. I am still letting him know thou when somthing breaks on them it breaks. Own one for yourself buddy then let me know..
    A/C Compressor $1,160
    Alternator $730
    Brakes $210
    Exhaust System $970
    Radiator $680

Not included labor there chief.
    read what you quote there chief!!!!

Consumer Guide® Estimated Repair Costs
    This table lists costs of likely repairs for comparison with other vehicles. The dollar amount includes the cost of the part(s) and labor (based on $50 per hour) for the typical repair without extras or add-ons. Like the pricing information, replacement costs can vary widely depending on region.

Black
    99 camaro

I have seen a few LS400 with 300,000 miles on them, the same engine as the SC400. Did they spend money on keeping them running? yes and they took very good care of the cars. When you take it into get something done it will cost, mostly due to the the name Lexus. I would only put Lexus parts on the car, thous parts hold up and last longer then the aftermarket world. As far as sludge in the engine, change your oil every 5K or 5 mouths and you will be fine.
    Will you have problems with the drivers door hinge? Probly, look at how heavy that door is.
    The alternator should last a very long time as long as the power steering pump don't start to leak.
    Who cars about AM radio anyways.
    The timing belt will go for 120,000 miles so you will be ok there but replaced the water pump everytime you get the t-belt replaced and both idler pulleys for the timing belt also.
    The exhaust system is stainles steel. The car will fall apart before the exhaust system will.
    If you need to know anything else about a Lexus let me know.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

read what you quote there chief!!!!
    LOL !! Bro! Labor rate's these days are I think 80 an hour! This piece of info is old ! Anyway's lmao. It's all gravy DICK!

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by camky99 View Post
    I have seen a few LS400 with 300,000 miles on them, the same engine as the SC400. Did they spend money on keeping them running? yes and they took very good care of the cars. When you take it into get something done it will cost, mostly due to the the name Lexus. I would only put Lexus parts on the car, thous parts hold up and last longer then the aftermarket world. As far as sludge in the engine, change your oil every 5K or 5 mouths and you will be fine.
    Will you have problems with the drivers door hinge? Probly, look at how heavy that door is.
    The alternator should last a very long time as long as the power steering pump don't start to leak.
    Who cars about AM radio anyways.
    The timing belt will go for 120,000 miles so you will be ok there but replaced the water pump everytime you get the t-belt replaced and both idler pulleys for the timing belt also.
    The exhaust system is stainles steel. The car will fall apart before the exhaust system will.
    If you need to know anything else about a Lexus let me know.

The rate? The kid is talking about a 93 sc 400! Not a 96!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I was asked to aid in this debate. So here I go....

I have no idea.

Black & Brilliant Silver

Own one for yourself buddy then let me know..
    i have! bought 3. a white 92 ls400 cream interior. a white 95 with cream interior. and a 91 emreld green with cream interior, it was so dark everybody thought it was black.

couldnt remember colors name so i went to lexus.com and signed in.

Preferred Vehicle Information

VIN: JT**************** Vehicle Nickname:
    Make/Model: Lexus LS 400 Year: 1991
    Description: V-8 4 Door Sedan Exterior Color:
    Current Mileage: 0 Transmission: 4 Speed Auto
    Preferred Dealer: Lexus of Tulsa
    4215 South Memorial, Tulsa, OK 74145
    it used to have the color and everything. i havent signed-in in a year. wonder why it doesnt have it anymore. it was like pearl emrald something. oh and i never had a problem with anything.

Black
    99 camaro

I never said anything about what year I was talking about.

Black & Brilliant Silver

you should have asked rather than assume. you know what they say about assumptions!!!

Black & Brilliant Silver

http://auth.owners.lexus.com/lexusow...cleInformation

you can sign in here. if you are a lexus owner.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by camky99 View Post
    I never said anything about what year I was talking about.
    What's the rate these days? I was refering to his year 92!!

Black
    99 camaro

Oh forgot to say, I am a Lexus tech but drive a camaro

Black
    99 camaro

I think the rate at my dealership is 80 or 85 per flat rate hour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information