Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation Legendary Hot Rod Builder Boyd Coddington Passes

Legendary Hot Rod Builder Boyd Coddington Passes
    Renowned hot rod builder and HOT ROD Magazine's 1988 "Man of the Year" Boyd Coddington died early Wednesday at the age of 63. The cause of death has not yet been released.
    Coddington grew up in rural Idaho but moved to Southern California in the late Sixties to begin his dream of building hot rods. He labored on one car at a time from home when he wasn't doing machine work during the graveyard shift at Disneyland. Today, his 50,000-square-foot facility in La Habra, California employs about 70 workers and boasts in-house paint and body shops. "Billet Boyd," a nickname he earned from his extensive work with aluminum, quickly built a reputation for creating ultra-clean, stylistic yet subtle cars with names such as Smoothster, Alumacoupe and Chezoom.
    Word got around about Coddington's talents. Chip Foose and Jesse James both worked in his hot rod shop for several years. His cars have won the Grand National Roadster Show's America's Most Beautiful Roadster trophy a record six times and he's built cars for such celebrities as Michael Anthony of Van Halen, Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Brad Penny and even built the hugely popular CadZZilla for ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons. Coddington also starred on TLC's "American Hot Rod" where he and his team turned junkyard heaps into smooth, integrated hot rods. Probably the most unusual honor for Coddington was when his '33 coupe was the only hot rod displayed in the "Sculpture on Wheels" exhibit at the Smithsonian Institution in 1993.
    Often clad in a Hawaiian shirt, Coddington was a serious man but, as his bio on his website states, "in the back of his unvoiced thoughts he's still got a teenager's passion for cars. He generally keeps the whirring content of his active mind to himself, but he has a softer side that he lets show in his works for charity."
    For more on Boyd Coddington's life and his cars, please visit his website at www.boydcoddington.com

Photo Gallery: Hot Rod Builder Boyd Coddington Dies at the Age of 63 - Hot Rod Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Damn, That show was awesome. Didnt know there was that much history behind him.

Hopefully his shop still runs smoothly, and rip to a dude who build sweet cars and made awesome wheels.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

holy crap i didnt know he died. from watching his shows id say he dad alot of stress to deal with and looked like a workaholic.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

watched his show 3 times, seemed like he was a prick.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

The Custom Car World has lost a great builder.

R.I.P.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    watched his show 3 times, seemed like he was a prick.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yes he was. I knew him. When I lived in Santa Clarita I ran with the same crowd he did.
    He was a smug condescending asshole. A total asswipe.And yes he made Hot Rod history with some of his cars. But he was a fucking asshole.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Didn't care to much for his show.... Between him and Duane being such assholes all the time, I couldn't see how the guys continued to work there.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yes he was. I knew him. When I lived in Santa Clarita I ran with the same crowd he did.
    He was a smug condescending asshole. A total asswipe.And yes he made Hot Rod history with some of his cars. But he was a fucking asshole.
    was he actually any good at car building himself? When i saw him with his tv show and in magazines, he kind of struck me as a dude that jus ran a business and capitolized off his own name.

I could never work in a shop that ran like that.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

As Sarge said I have had many dealings with him too and he was always a asshole. I still find it hard to believe they are making vague statements on what caused his death.......... I beat there is a major law suit coming.

"His company has released a statement stating that Coddington was "a long-time diabetic" who "died from complications that were brought on from a recent surgery." Honestly, we find this a bit vague, but now is the time to remember Boyd Coddington."

Regardless of his attitude and personality he did design some sick cars.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Thread Information