Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak, Alaska

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

Kodiak, Alaska

pretty much gnarly.

jad, I think I saw you asking me if I would ever get on one of those fishing boats, and I dont think I would. half of them dont fucking look seaworthy, and the sea can get ferocious. I think I would roughneck for oil in prudhoe bay at -60 before I would get on one of those boats far from land. I kinda like this place, its really small community, really laid back folks. Everyone already knows me as "the new phone guy" folks I havent even met yet come up and say hi and know my name.

its pretty damn cool.

some pics.

the entire town

Carolyn wrote her opinion of it, I like her style. She is going to run for office for something when we get nice and established.

No matter what you call it - "the rock", as the locals call it, "the Emerald Isle", as those who print brochures call it, or simply "Kodiak" as all of us that are new to the Island call it - you can not mistake the feeling that you are indeed separated from - well, pretty much the rest of the world. When preparing for our arrival we read that the island has a staggering 87 miles of roads. Upon driving "the" road, it occurs to me that a good portion of them must be tied up in the handful of streets that run criss-crossing through the small island town. In the spirit of adventure and searching for options for real estate we drove the road. We encountered bald eagles, mountains capped with a small bit of snow and clouds, calm shores, pines with the branches wrapped in green moss and suprisingly little housing. We visited a closed horse ranch near the 30 mile mark, where the road ends being paved. What there is in abundance, not suprisingly, is a large amount of junctions where the road ends being paved.

Apparently, this is a mecca for wildlife, but since arriving here, I have seen less wildlife (with the exception of eagles and sea gulls) than Anchorage. It seems like even the wildlife has left this area. In some ways it reminds me of the horror movies which have become popular as of late, in which the population has been eradicated and you're left with the erie sense of calm and tranquility. Surely peaceful... but it can be erie, especially when you realize you will need to adjust to it being the "norm". In retrospect, this is one of the largest changes one can make, from just months ago being in Austin, sitting on the roof, listening to the Rolling Stones playing in Zilker park to arriving here to the Island where its possible to run into the same person at one of the local sea plane businesses that you just passed on the road with a flat tire the day before. I guess that didnt win us any points. Mental note, everyone here is someone you will know. Don't pass people broken down on the road, they are going to be the person you want to buy a house from, buy "fresh" fish from, gives you your physical or will be the best man at your wedding. It's a town of de ja vu. And right now, it's hard to imagine that feeling ever completely abating. Oh, I almost forgot. Did I mention there are a lot of boats here?

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

beautiful...

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    pretty much gnarly.

jad, I think I saw you asking me if I would ever get on one of those fishing boats, and I dont think I would. half of them dont fucking look seaworthy, and the sea can get ferocious. I think I would roughneck for oil in prudhoe bay at -60 before I would get on one of those boats far from land. I kinda like this place, its really small community, really laid back folks. Everyone already knows me as "the new phone guy" folks I havent even met yet come up and say hi and know my name.

its pretty damn cool.

some pics.

the entire town
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Carolyn wrote her opinion of it, I like her style. She is going to run for office for something when we get nice and established.
    She need to write a book and send me a signed copy, very well written and intelligent.....what she doing with you buddy.....lol.....just kiddin.mate

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Of all the places I lived (I grew up a service brat) Alaska is the one place I've always wanted to return to. I'll take being in the mountains over being on a beach any day.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    pretty much gnarly.

its pretty damn cool.

some pics.

the entire town
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

Modulistic,

Beautiful area. I can see why with 87 whole miles of road a truck makes much more sense than a 'vette.

Yeah, that Deadliest Catch series makes me wonder who would take those risks, regardless of the money. Not me. I like solid ground underneath me too much. Sounds like a nice place where you are though. I'm glad you're doing well....seriously.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

nice mods!!! how do oyu like it so far?

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Modulistic,

Beautiful area. I can see why with 87 whole miles of road a truck makes much more sense than a 'vette.

Yeah, that Deadliest Catch series makes me wonder who would take those risks, regardless of the money. Not me. I like solid ground underneath me too much. Sounds like a nice place where you are though. I'm glad you're doing well....seriously.
    id try it in a second! and prolly will someday, just as long as im not on tv lol

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pocheasy View Post
    id try it in a second! and prolly will someday, just as long as im not on tv lol
    If you do end on TV, I'll watch from the [relative] safety of my family/living room or bedroom!!!

I don't mind the work, but the Bering Sea looks like it is all set to kick my ass!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

If you do end on TV, I'll watch from the [relative] safety of my family/living room or bedroom!!!

I don't mind the work, but the Bering Sea looks like it is all set to kick my ass!!!
    yeah... taht 99% injury rate kinda turns me off a bit... and then the whole cold thing...

White
    1998 Trans Am

i saw on the weather this morning 22 hours of sunlight in alaska today, sounds like a good opportunity for a 24 hour drunk fest!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

You will have to get some pics of the "Northern Lights'....

Also you never said if your G/F moved up there with you?

green
    95 firebird

You moved to Alaska? That may just be the coolest thing I've heard in years. I'd love to live in a town like that for a few years.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    You will have to get some pics of the "Northern Lights'....
    Those typically come out in november.

(i was stationed there for 3 years)

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post

(i was stationed there for 3 years)
    Any chance you might have some photos of 'em? If so, please post. I can't get enough of that stuff.

Mexican killed my car

Any chance you might have some photos of 'em? If so, please post. I can't get enough of that stuff.
    I never got any photos. It's not something you forget when you see it.

Besides the fact that you feel like your tripping on acid when you see them they only typically come out at winter around 3 in the morning when there are no clouds in the sky and it's so cold it hurts to breathe. What amazed me was how fast they move. I thought the colors mostly stayed put and floated around....wrong. The colors flash across the sky real fast. Big streaks of green and whatever colors flashing around everywhere like you're getting nuked.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    I never got any photos. It's not something you forget when you see it.

Besides the fact that you feel like your tripping on acid when you see them they only typically come out at winter around 3 in the morning when there are no clouds in the sky and it's so cold it hurts to breathe. What amazed me was how fast they move. I thought the colors mostly stayed put and floated around....wrong. The colors flash across the sky real fast. Big streaks of green and whatever colors flashing around everywhere like you're getting nuked.

I bet they are magnificient to see in real time. They are pretty amazing on TV!!!

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Congrats.
    When you have 24 hours of sun light in the summer, you don't see many things in the sky at night, except the sun. Also Kodiak has the largest brown bears in the world. The only bears larger, are the polor bears. After living up here for 29 years, with my family being here since 1954. I don't know if I could ever live anywhere else. Even to were my parents moved to in Washington. Alaska is a place that anyone who has a chance to visit, needs to.
    I would always recomend a north slope job over a fishing boat any day. Two weeks on and two off. With close to six figures a year.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 06-20-2007 at 06:37 PM.

green
    95 firebird

What is a north slope job?

Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    What is a north slope job?
    Oil. I knew alot of people that got out of the military and did it. I never heard from them again after they left so i don't know how they liked it, but it doesn't seem like something i would want to do.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Other then the extreme cold it's a pretty good job. My uncle has been working for BP for 10 years now. He goes up for 2 weeks and then has two weeks off. Which is nice because when he's off, it gives him alot of time to spend with his family. Sometimes he spends it up at our family cabin snowmobiling, or 4 wheeling, or building cars. It's nice to make almost 6 figures a year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information