Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Kayak/Canoe thread

Anybody into this? I'm thinking of getting my first Kayak......any suggestions

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have went. It is fun. Paid $10 for a day trip with a Groupon to go down the Arkansas River.

It was actually a duckie we used. Similar experience though.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

i've got a 1 seater that I use probably 10-15 times a year...its a lot of fun. I dont do white water or anything like that...I usually stick to lakes, large creeks that connect to rivers, etc...nothing crazy.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I lived on a lake in college, loved hitting the water in a canoe when the sun was setting, may or may not have been drinking underage...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I have owned both. Sold the kayak. Just didn't get used enough. I like the extra room in my canoe and the ability to comfortably seat 3 and a cooler or two people and two coolers. I have gone on quite a few canoe trips. A cooler and two people taking rivers and chains of lakes. I always had a blast. I have also hunted out of my canoe and fished. A couple of times I was doing both at the same time.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

The last canoe I had, I hooked up a trolling motor to it. Made a homemade 2x4 mount so it would sit off to the side. If I laid back, the handle was just over my shoulder. Great for trolling. (A lot of the little trout lakes here in AZ have hp limits) Mine was heavy, and possibly homemade fiberglass(very heavy) and that is why I sold it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

did it a lot when I was a teen in Scouts. It can be fun or a serious work out depending on the current. Had some great camping trips in PA & NJ. Longest trip was on the north Delaware river, 30 miles in 2.5 days.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If you will be going by yourself get a kayak. Rent one and see how you like it.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I keep eyeballing the kayaks at cabelas that have rod holders molded into them. Seems you could paddle fast enough to troll pretty easily.

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Thanks for the comments guys

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

I have two touring kayaks - one 17' and one 16.5'. I bought them both on Craigslist, so I didn't pay a lot - $300 and $350. The good thing about buying used is they usually throw in the accessories for free and that can really add up. Things like helmet, vest, skirt, gloves, paddles, car top carrier, etc. I won't recommend the ones sold at the big box stores like BJs and Costco - I think it is the Pelican brand. They are made for beginners so they are more stable in the water but you will progress past their capabilities after a few times on the water and then you will want something more sleek and capable.

If you are looking for mainly lake and calm water use (potentially fishing), a longer touring kayak would the best. They are typically narrow and long which makes it effortless to paddle and you can go long distances easily. I regularly take mine out for 20 miles or more. The trade off is they can tip over more easily so it takes some practice to get the most from it.

If you want to do minor river running (class 2-4 rapids) get a shorter kayak - 10-14 feet would be fine. I took my longer kayaks out a couple of weeks ago at Great Falls, MD (Potomac River, Violets Lock - class 1-3) and it was very challenging to keep them upright and to maneuver around obstacles. It would have been perfect for a 10'-12' kayak.

White Water kayaks (6'-8') are only usable in white water - in calm water you will be paddling forever to get anywhere.

Thread Information