Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karate

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Karate

My 7 year old daughter loves to fight. I mean seriously, if you go up to her and make a fist she will punch you straight in the junk and kick your knees before you can even react.

I think she would really enjoy some kind of youth boxing thing, but can't find anything like that around me but i did find some kind of karate places around here. I never took karate and i was wondering if it's a contact activity. If they are teaching her to jump kick i think she would get bored real fast, but if they tell her to jump kick little timmy then she would enjoy it. She would really enjoy the contact portion of it.

Any info would be nice.

My wife does some karate/kickboxing stuff. She says the classes are usually pretty mild. Sometimes they spar but it still doesnt sound that exciting. It may vary from "dojo to dojo" though.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Where I go at the style is, "Tae won doe". Great exercise and teaches kids goodpline. As far as sparring head gear is required along with hand/feet pads. You can go light or if you got somebody that likes to slug it out then you can have at it.

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    My 7 year old daughter loves to fight. I mean seriously, if you go up to her and make a fist she will punch you straight in the junk and kick your knees before you can even react.

I think she would really enjoy some kind of youth boxing thing, but can't find anything like that around me but i did find some kind of karate places around here. I never took karate and i was wondering if it's a contact activity. If they are teaching her to jump kick i think she would get bored real fast, but if they tell her to jump kick little timmy then she would enjoy it. She would really enjoy the contact portion of it.

Any info would be nice.
    I think this would be a great outlet for her. If karate isn't your cup of tea and you want her to learn self-defense, consider an MMA or BJJ school if they will take a student her age.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!! michaelinchains's Avatar

black
    `99 GTP/`98 formy(sold)

i took okinawan shorinryu for several years when i was in grade school & loved it.taught self defense,discipline,& alittle japanese language.for the most part we had no contact sparring but breaking boards & shit was cool.

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

Nothing is more fun than Taekwondo.

I have been doing Martial Arts my entire life basically... Hapkido, Kenpo, and Taekwondo. It's truly a sport and build major discipline. Wouldn't put my kids thru anything but TKD.

Seriously, it's the best thing to do. If you want more details let me know. Find a WTF school near you, if you would like your daughter to compete... Find a ITF school if you want her to be just a more round martial artist. Either way... stay away from American TKD schools... lol.

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

I need to do something with her i know that. She got in trouble twice last year for beating up boys in class. They still picked her to be the flower girl for the homecoming queen and ride in the parade though....

2002 CETA 6M COUPE

I need to do something with her i know that. She got in trouble twice last year for beating up boys in class. They still picked her to be the flower girl for the homecoming queen and ride in the parade though....

Click for full size
    lol... if i have a daughter... i want her to be like that. i'm definitely gonna encourage some good old- boy beating... lol.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Some straight up boxing might be for her.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

well... at that age you need to find a place that is "fun" for her so taht you can say "if you do that i can't take you to karate any more"... but if you want her to learn how to annihilate people... kenpo...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    well... at that age you need to find a place that is "fun" for her so taht you can say "if you do that i can't take you to karate any more"... but if you want her to learn how to annihilate people... kenpo...
    regardless... sparing is a must... what good is learning something and never using it... then the day comes when you need it and you can't remember it... sparing will also teach her that getting hit back isn't fun...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Click for full size
    damn that kid has the death stare going on. She looks like she wants to really mess somebody up in that pic lol

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

As previously stated, Taekwondo, it's a good starting martial arts, more defensive based and is great at teaching discipline. At this age I would suggest something like that so she has an outlet for her interests but can learn the restraint not to use it when innapropriate.

Once she is older and more mature and can control herself enough to stay out of trouble then maybe place her in to something more aggresive/ competitive to keep her training going and keep it chalenging. One of the ones Spaz mentioned would be great, personally I took up kickboxing after taekwondo but I guess MMA is the big thing now.

black
    2002 camaro ss

got a good laugh from 310stanger reply. You hit the nail there boy. Enroll her in ballet or something, sounds like she already knows how to fight. My asian wife learned how to fight from the communists in China. When she's done kicking my butt and the crying's done I wonder what I'm doing in this relationship. It might be a rocky relationship road for your daughter if you send her down that path.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jmummery View Post
    got a good laugh from 310stanger reply. You hit the nail there boy. Enroll her in ballet or something, sounds like she already knows how to fight. My asian wife learned how to fight from the communists in China. When she's done kicking my butt and the crying's done I wonder what I'm doing in this relationship. It might be a rocky relationship road for your daughter if you send her down that path.
    i strongly dissagree...

Nothing special
    Nothing special

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Wade M View Post
    impressive... but she keeps opening her mouth when she punches... one hit to the jaw and she'll be in the ER getting bolts and screws like frankenstein...

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Eh, she's 5. She'd probably kick all our asses right now.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I train in BJJ and MMA. Thats some pretty fun stuff. The place I go to offers childrens classes as well.

black
    2002 camaro ss

unbelievable!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information