Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Just watched the new mustang on tv

well i must admitt that they have toned it down ALOT compared to the concept car i saw a couple of years ago. Its just the same as a 2008 but changes here and there that set it apart. I guess they figured the new models did them well so why change it soo much just make it look more fresh. I was thinking they were gonna give it way more power then the 315 hp and still a 5speed, overall i do like the car. Reason why i bring this up is since many of us have raced one and there pretty much everywhere. After watching the episode, man am i glad i own a LS1 and will be looking for 2010 mustangs on the road soon, hehe.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I read about it today, and I was surprised too that Ford will retain the 4.6 in the GT, but with the market being as it is, I suppose they don't have a choice. Either way, sharp looking car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i like the front end. i can still beat it so its okay

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

i just love the fact i can still compete with the brand new stangs with a ten year old car

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Ya they talk about how the mustang sets the bar for other american cars and how its been around for 45 years but what gets me is back in 93 the camaro Z28 had a 6speed and its 2010 now and nada for a 6speed in the mustang GT. I think the delay in the new camaro coming out has opened the eyes of ford, the way how the economy is ford is just trying to freshen up the look of the mustang change things a bit here and there so they can keep costs low, easier to sell. The new camaro thats coming out to me looks alot better ofcourse and has way more power considering the V6 has about 306hp(which will probably be a bit slower then the Mustang GT). The V8 is gonna cost more then the mustang GT and even though your definitly getting more car for the money people will not spend that extra cash buying a V8 camaro compared to a V8 GT. All this is a guess who knows whats going to happen but i can tell you if i can affford the new camaro i would buy one with no hesitation.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by karpetcm View Post
    Ya they talk about how the mustang sets the bar for other american cars and how its been around for 45 years but what gets me is back in 93 the camaro Z28 had a 6speed and its 2010 now and nada for a 6speed in the mustang GT. I think the delay in the new camaro coming out has opened the eyes of ford, the way how the economy is ford is just trying to freshen up the look of the mustang change things a bit here and there so they can keep costs low, easier to sell. The new camaro thats coming out to me looks alot better ofcourse and has way more power considering the V6 has about 306hp(which will probably be a bit slower then the Mustang GT). The V8 is gonna cost more then the mustang GT and even though your definitly getting more car for the money people will not spend that extra cash buying a V8 camaro compared to a V8 GT. All this is a guess who knows whats going to happen but i can tell you if i can affford the new camaro i would buy one with no hesitation.

can a i get an "Amen!?!?!?!"

black
    2000 camaro ss

any pics of the new stang ?

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by tbias View Post
    any pics of the new stang ?
    http://www.fordvehicles.com/the2010mustang/

that's all you need for now.... i think it got uglier. the interior is nicer though.

I don't get it. What is all the hype about? You need an hour long infomercial on speed for a car that isn't much different then the 08 model. I mean a few styling tweaks inside and out is all I see. The average joe probably can't tell the difference.

You guys are spot on about the drivetrain too. How many years is it going to take for the V8 stang to come with a 6spd or have more then 315hp which is probably overrated. The only way ford can compete with the drivetrain in a GM car is to supercharge it.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I don't get it. What is all the hype about? You need an hour long infomercial on speed for a car that isn't much different then the 08 model. I mean a few styling tweaks inside and out is all I see. The average joe probably can't tell the difference.

You guys are spot on about the drivetrain too. How many years is it going to take for the V8 stang to come with a 6spd or have more then 315hp which is probably overrated. The only way ford can compete with the drivetrain in a GM car is to supercharge it.
    they don't have to.

They slapped 'MUSTANG' on the car.....that sells it. Camaro and Challenger may go by the way side....Mustang will be around for a lot longer...

Quote Originally Posted by jknelms View Post
    they don't have to.

They slapped 'MUSTANG' on the car.....that sells it. Camaro and Challenger may go by the way side....Mustang will be around for a lot longer...
    Chevy has done that too with the 3rd gen camaros. There will always be diehard fans of both. That doesn't mean you should keep dropping the same old dated drivetrains in them. For me I don't really care I won't own one anyhow and it's cool to blow them away in my 9 yr old car. So let the sucker mustang fans keep dishing out $$$ for a car that can't out perform a 10 yr old camaro.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Point is, most Mustangs sold are NOT the V8 models.

Same for the Camaro/Firebirds.

The V6 models give people the "look" without the perceived fuel economy and real insurance drawbacks. And perception is FAR more important than reality to most people.

Secretaries will LOVE the new Mustang, even though it's slower than a 10 year old F-body.

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Point is, most Mustangs sold are NOT the V8 models.

Same for the Camaro/Firebirds.

The V6 models give people the "look" without the perceived fuel economy and real insurance drawbacks. And perception is FAR more important than reality to most people.

Secretaries will LOVE the new Mustang, even though it's slower than a 10 year old F-body.
    Yes more women buy mustangs but I'm confused as to what point you are trying to make. No one who has posted about the stang is debating how many units ford sells. This is a performance oriented board it's members don't give a rats ass who sells more cars. All we care about is who is first from light to light and the fact remains the same my 10yr old fbody still outruns a brand new mustang. If I was a ford guy I'd be pissed.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Yes more women buy mustangs but I'm confused as to what point you are trying to make. No one who has posted about the stang is debating how many units ford sells. This is a performance oriented board it's members don't give a rats ass who sells more cars. All we care about is who is first from light to light and the fact remains the same my 10yr old fbody still outruns a brand new mustang. If I was a ford guy I'd be pissed.
    i think the problem is....the less sales...the more likely we won't have a new car...that we can race light to light....

not that it bothered us before...heh, LS1's are still awesome and still competitive though...LS3/L99 is looking quite good as well....now, if i could drop that in with a 6 speed automatic, wiring harness, gauges, etc + all the supporting mods of gears, etc... maybe TT....still giving a nice stock look...heh... watch out

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

yeah the stangs will never keep up with the ls1's. lol i had a stang guy tell me that my car pretune could have destroyed a new stock stang after a tune. i could almost see his heart break just a little when he was impressed with the gains i got on his dyno
    2002 z28-slp cai, slp loudmouth, slp tuned headers, slp 85 mm MAF, slp high flow cats, 3" y-pipe and collectors
    331.6 rwhp/356.9 rwtq

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by slpdablueZ28 View Post
    yeah the stangs will never keep up with the ls1's. lol i had a stang guy tell me that my car pretune could have destroyed a new stock stang after a tune. i could almost see his heart break just a little when he was impressed with the gains i got on his dyno
    well, stangs may one day beat the ls1's but then again, maybe not... ford may have to cut back on the v8 production line to make way for the electric and what not engines. so, mustang may beat the ls1's...with their new hydroelectro mustang!!! haha.

blue
    2002 Camaro Z28

if stangs want to beat something they might want to add an extra liter

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

The whole show was kinda long winded ..But I wonder how a V6 camaro vs a Mustang GT vs a Challengr RT would go ...???

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by snaggeltooth View Post
    The whole show was kinda long winded ..But I wonder how a V6 camaro vs a Mustang GT vs a Challengr RT would go ...???
    what's the Challenger RT composed of?

i think that 'maro is squeezing out every bit of HP it can, so i doubt it will be too impressive.

How much will the new GT weigh? i'm curious if 315 is enough. if the car weighs like 3,400-3,500 lbs...that's not too much. but if it weighs around 3,900 like the new camaro....ouch for mustang. that thing will move like a rock!

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Challenger RT is the 370 HP 5.7. the Camaro V6 is suposed to be 300HP .. so it all sounds closer than a SS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information