Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Thumbs down Just spent $143.00 on a bad steak dinner.

Well, we went to Pats Steakhouse on Brownsboro Rd. in Louisville Ky. Alot of people suggested that place on other forums. My wife got the 12oz fillet (ordered medium $34) I got the 32oz porterhouse (ordered medium rare $48) and our 3yr old got chicken fingers ($12) I also got a Woodford Reserve Manhattan ($7.50) and 2 teas and a Sprite were $5. We started with a salad that looked like something you'd buy a Kroger. Just chopped lettuce, not much else. It's saving grace was the made from scratch roquefort which was INSANE good! There were also some hot rolls which were average at best. My son got his chicken fingers and fries before we got our steaks and WOW were they great! Not your average chicken fingers you'd find at Applebys. Next came our steaks. I got baby lima beans and my wife got green beans. The green beans were seasoned perfectly with lots of large bacon pieces. My lima beans were the best I've ever had. Ever. As for our steaks......well.....my wife could easily cut hers with just a fork. It was wrapped in bacon and cooked perfectly. Mine was the size of a small roast. There was a giant fillet and a massive strip. Mine was also cooked perfectly. HOWEVER, there was NO seasoning. Zero. Nothing. Zilch. And they were drowning in butter. Waaaay too much butter. It was all you could taste. Those cuts of meat could have been astounding but they were average at best. They tasted pan-fried in a skillet. For me, all good steaks need are a little salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic powder but these were soooooo bland. We were really disappointed. Service was fantastic. Our drinks were always full, empty plates were removed at once and the waitstaff was very friendly. The steaks just let us down. Pats was a place I've always wanted to try and I'm glad I did. I just won't be going back. Dinner for my wife, son, and I after tip was $143.00 which I don't mind paying at all.......for a meal I enjoyed.

Impounded
    not sure i get what you're bitching about? that it didnt have enough salt and pepper on it? maybe that's why restaurants have salt and pepper on each table. I wish I had that kinda money to blow on 1 meal

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

Floating in butter which destroyed the taste of the steak. The steak had almost NO flavor at all.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

I'd be suspicious of any place that used butter in any way to cook a steak.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    I'd be suspicious of any place that used butter in any way to cook a steak.
    +1

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

I took this chick on a date after work on thrusday, $160 after tax. The food was above average as was the service, it was one step under fine dining and I'd go back.

Wait, now that I think about it, it would be cheaper just to get a hooker.

Impounded
    I went to Mcdonald's today. got a double hamburger and small fries. $2. and it had a lot of flavor. no tip necessary.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

your not supposed to salt a steak before cooking it...
    ever heard of osmosis? all the water diffuses out of the meat to counteract all the salt...no good steakhouse salts meats before cooking

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SLIM_DURST View Post
    I went to Mcdonald's today. got a double hamburger and small fries. $2. and it had a lot of flavor. no tip necessary.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SLIM_DURST View Post
    Yea and you'll get the Mcshits for free

I just had a double quarter pounder with fries and 6 mcnugets and a large icy Coca Cola. Not bad. But I would have rather had a steak!

You should have just told them that everything was great, but you didn't like the steak because it had too much butter. They would have probably given you another. Places like this don't pay much for meat as you might think... it's the overall atmosphere/experience and fine cooking you are paying for.

I would give them another shot, it sounds like everything else was pretty good.

Black
    '98 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by apache View Post
    but you didn't like the steak because it had too much butter. They would have probably given you another. Places like this don't pay much for meat as you might think...
    I worked at a fine dining restaurant for a couple years that used butter with their steaks. Bottomline is, the server should have informed you about the butter, that way you could've declined or just asked for a little bit.

As for me, I'll take a scoop of butter everyday of the week. Especially if I'm paying $35 for a steak.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Using butter on steak is pretty standard for lean steak in a steakhouse... It sucks that they were bland. Most good steakhouse age their beef the concentrate the flavor.

Even at home... If I buy some good steak, or a good roast, I will age it for 10 days or so before I cook, cut off the "funk", and use a light run of 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 butter, kosher salt and cracked peppercorns. sometimes with a light garlic rub (fresh only, no powder) on the outside prior to the wet, and then bring them up to temop for 1/2 hour-45 minutes, prior to cooking.

Good meat need very little to no seasoning as the purpose is to simply enhance the natural flavor instead of making up for blandness.

You should write them a letter explaining your experience.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

What's kosher salt? I only know of 1 type of salt, and its called salt.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Yeah alot of restaurants and magazines swear by putting a pat of butter on a steak after it is done cooking. Looks like yours had WAY too much

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

Well, I am sure you can do a few things to make your next trip better.

One, ask the to use less butter.
    two, ask for some garlic and salt and pepper at the table
    three, have a second manhatten??

other then that, it sounded OK, but I cna understand the disappointment after $143.00

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Even at home... If I buy some good steak, or a good roast, I will age it for 10 days or so before I cook, cut off the "funk", and use a light run of 1/2 olive oil, 1/2 butter, kosher salt and cracked peppercorns. sometimes with a light garlic rub (fresh only, no powder) on the outside prior to the wet, and then bring them up to temop for 1/2 hour-45 minutes, prior to cooking.

at the supermarket they always have "manager specials" where you can get a real nice cut of steak for a fraction of the regular price because it's been sitting there for past the expiration date. and i always wondered about trying it since they age beef a long time anyway. so you say you need to "cut off the funk"? what do you do exactly, just cut off the outer layer of the meat? or can you just wash it off in cold water?

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

What I do is place the meat in a plastic tupperware container on a rack in the back of the fridge. I have air holes cut in the tupperware sides and lid (small holes) to allow airflow. The steak or roast will lose 15-20 percent of its weight while drying/aging. I use an extremely sharp blade to cut off any areas that discolor (funk). I learned this trick a couple of years back on Alton brown's show, Good Eats. It has worked flawlessly every time for me. You may be able to find the information on the Food Network website.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I actually read of very ritzy steak places aging steaks out at room temperature, and then cutting off the funk. Made me want to puke. As for bland steak, I always dip mine in ketchup, so who cares.

When I eat fancy(yes I am only 18), but when I go to pricy places where one persons meal is 35dollars or more, I still only tip 15%. How bout you?

Impounded
    Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I actually read of very ritzy steak places aging steaks out at room temperature, and then cutting off the funk. Made me want to puke. As for bland steak, I always dip mine in ketchup, ?

ketchup??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information