Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

is it just me......

or does anyone else keep their gun close by while at home?.....im talkin close like right next to me while im watchin tv, goin to the bathroom, or when i go outside i take it with me....and also it lays right next to me on the floor while sleeping....theres been a lot of home invasions lately, so its got me paranoid....but am i being too paranoid?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Why not just carry it around in a holster or something? I don;t think you are being paranoid cause you have a family to protect

pewter
    99 trans am

lol no holster for a remington 870.....i do plan on getting a pistol soon, but id still rather lay out some 00buckshot instead of poppin off 40cal rounds everywhere....besides, theres nothing more intimidating than hearing a shotgun cycle in the darkness...

White
    2002 VY SS

Are things getting that bad over there??

pewter
    99 trans am

its been pretty bad in houston...the crime is starting to infest the surrounding areas more and more.......back in november, a 17 year old kid was shot in the head and died 2 streets up from my house right in the middle of the road.....sure they caught the guy, which strangly enough, was a white guy from a ritzy part of town, but still its happening....too many thugs around here, and my kids are starting to pick up the ghetto accent...good thing were moving outta here in a few months...

blue
    1999 TransAm

i've got one on me, and a spare mag too! i always carry around the house, the yard, etc.

sure i live in a good neighborhood, but no thing is a sure thing, ...especially nowadays you have section 8 thug life more scattered around suburban areas (at least it seems that way). bad things can happen anywhere - it only take a few seconds for a thug to kick in your front door (unless you've got it reinforced all the way around)..

...apply for a CCW and get training - additional training (beyond CCW training) is key. and always carry a spare mag (or speedloader if revolver). the magazine is the most common source of malfunctions in an autoloading pistol, better have a backup to quickly swap if need be. that and the additional round count..

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    lol no holster for a remington 870.....i do plan on getting a pistol soon, but id still rather lay out some 00buckshot instead of poppin off 40cal rounds everywhere....besides, theres nothing more intimidating than hearing a shotgun cycle in the darkness...
    shotgun (w/ buckshot) would be very good for HD, but you have more control of where the lead goes w/ the pistol.. and buckshot will go through the walls in your home extremely easily, as will most pistol rounds... one thing you have to consider is the safety of who else might be concealed behind those walls (your family?) - best to have a plan of action for you and the family if trouble comes knocking:

- establish a "safe room" - retreat to this area if possible and arm up.
    - call police, make sure have access to phone, preferably cell phone w/ battery charged
    - flashlight good to have if at night
    - make sure you have extra mags loaded and ready
    - room clearing technique is good to know (training), but is dangerous - safe room idea is best, unless your family is scattered throughout the house and can't get to it - then room clearing might be needed..
    - training.

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    and always carry a spare mag (or speedloader if revolver). the magazine is the most common source of malfunctions in an autoloading pistol, better have a backup to quickly swap if need be. that and the additional round count..
    That's why I generally like the revolvers, and always keep them loaded 24/7. I don't have to worry about jamming magazines from leaving them loaded for too long and killing the spring tension. I generally only load a magazine if I know I'm going to be using it,,,or possibly using it within a 24 hour period.

And yes I always keep a gun around, however not right next to me as described. But I always have one within reach hidden around the house if need be. Or if we leave the house I take one with me.
    Crime around here isn't bad enough for me to warrant using the holster at this point

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I have a Sig right next to me in Condition 2. Which I will use to fight to get to my Shotgun (Condition 3).
    Both have Tac Lights so I can identify the target before firing.
    Its not where you live, its who comes into the neighborhood.

And the Pit Bull for distraction.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's why I generally like the revolvers, and always keep them loaded 24/7. I don't have to worry about jamming magazines from leaving them loaded for too long and killing the spring tension. I generally only load a magazine if I know I'm going to be using it,,,or possibly using it within a 24 hour period.

And yes I always keep a gun around, however not right next to me as described. But I always have one within reach hidden around the house if need be. Or if we leave the house I take one with me.
    Crime around here isn't bad enough for me to warrant using the holster at this point
    industry experts have said that (modern) mag springs will not take a set, and you are fine loading them and leaving them for years on end.. but i get what you are saying... i'm not a revolver guy (well not yet!), but to each his own, pick what works best for you, and be proficient w/ safe operation.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Our home defense...four dogs,.380 auto ruger pistol,and a sks w/ 30 round mag. 12 gauge coming soon.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Red
    '02 35th SS LE SLP#1084

There's a handgun closeby no matter where I am in the house. I always carry my S&W M&P 40c with me when I got out of the house. Hope to never use it, wouldn't blink to use it if I had to. Same for my wife, she carrys a S&W hammerless j-frame chief's special with +p's it in.

Jon

pewter
    99 trans am

shotgun (w/ buckshot) would be very good for HD, but you have more control of where the lead goes w/ the pistol.. and buckshot will go through the walls in your home extremely easily, as will most pistol rounds... one thing you have to consider is the safety of who else might be concealed behind those walls (your family?) - best to have a plan of action for you and the family if trouble comes knocking:

- establish a "safe room" - retreat to this area if possible and arm up.
    - call police, make sure have access to phone, preferably cell phone w/ battery charged
    - flashlight good to have if at night
    - make sure you have extra mags loaded and ready
    - room clearing technique is good to know (training), but is dangerous - safe room idea is best, unless your family is scattered throughout the house and can't get to it - then room clearing might be needed..
    - training.
    i actually went over this with my kids yesterday....all of our rooms are close together....if something is to go down....they are to run to my room and hide in the bathroom and the ol lady will be the one on the phone for 911....the way our house is set up, its real easy to detect a break in and to get everyone into the safezone in time for me to take care of biz.....plus our boxer will serve as alert/distraction....

Midnight Blue
    2001 WS6 TRANS AM

I dont carry mine with me due to the fact it's a pain in the ass... I do have several guns strategically placed throughout the house...

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

got my .06 under the side of my bed, AR-15 under my foot of the bed 12 guage against my head board and a .22 pistol on my night stand. I feel safe

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I don't feel quite so paranoid that I carry inside my home.....but you can be sure you will not like breaking in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I have a Sig right next to me in Condition 2. Which I will use to fight to get to my Shotgun (Condition 3).
    Both have Tac Lights so I can identify the target before firing.
    Its not where you live, its who comes into the neighborhood.

And the Pit Bull for distraction.
    That can't be true...everyone knows there's no guns allowed in USSR Cali Ed.

Tisk, Tisk

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

You live in Houston so no, I can't say I blame you.

industry experts have said that (modern) mag springs will not take a set, and you are fine loading them and leaving them for years on end.. but i get what you are saying... i'm not a revolver guy (well not yet!), but to each his own, pick what works best for you, and be proficient w/ safe operation.
    That may very well be true. I don't keep myself up to speed on modern gun technoligy anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny47 View Post
    I dont carry mine with me due to the fact it's a pain in the ass... I do have several guns strategically placed throughout the house...
    That's why we use a little 38 snub nose when we carry. They are small and compact, yet have enough stopping power. My wife can even stick it in her purse (and she carrys a small purse).
    I can stick it on my belt and wear a T-shirt over it and you'd never know it's there. It's small enough to sit down in a restaurant or a car and it never hits the seat or becomes an annoyance.

Carrying something bigger however,,,,yes I could see that being a pain. I see people around here all the time carrying what look like 44 mags with an 8" barrel on their sides Looks cool, but it's overkill for personal protection, and it has to be a pain in the ass to carry around, like you mention.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information