Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Offer

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Job Offer

Looks like I have a decision to make.

I have been working for the earth’s largest accounting firm for 2.5 years now and I am up for promotion this year. Based on the local economy (middle market) I don’t think that it is going to happen.

I just went to lunch with a couple of partners from a local firm and they are going to make me an offer to join their firm as senior/manager. Their firm is growing considerably (they are on track to do 4.5 million in revenue this year) and is an opportunity for me to take on a lot of new work. The tax partner is looking for an exit strategy for when he retires in 5 to 7 years and he thinks I may be it.

Do I stay with the very large, stable, well established firm or do I go to a growing firm that is in a better position to grow in the New Orleans economy?
    Last edited by gwballin; 06-24-2008 at 11:49 AM.

Black
    1999 Trans am

That is a tough call, REAL Tough call.......only you can make that choice...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

go with the new firm..you have more of a chance to move up the ladder and eventually make a good sum of money..and have alot of control and power..compared to the company you work for..since it is the worlds largest firm..it would be considerably harder to move up the ladder ..that is my opinion

Which has more cash? Will you have to move?

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk LS1 View Post
    That is a tough call, REAL Tough call.......only you can make that choice...
    I know.

I will have more information by next Monday. By then I should have the official offer from the new firm and I will have had my meeting with my work counselor discussing promotions and raises.

I’ll keep everyone posted.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    go with the new firm..you have more of a chance to move up the ladder and eventually make a good sum of money..and have alot of control and power..compared to the company you work for..since it is the worlds largest firm..it would be considerably harder to move up the ladder ..that is my opinion
    It would be very easy to move up with my current firm if I was willing to move.

A firm this size just can't compete will in New Orleans because of the fees we charge, which is why firms like the one offering me a job are doing so well.

In terms of earning potential, the average partner salary at my current firm is 500k which is incentive to move I’m just trying to put that off.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

It depends a lot on the culture of the new place. While not accounting, I took a job with a family-owned/operated startup nearly three years ago with the idea being that, as the owner/s retire, I'd move into management and take over alongside the son with the likely option to buy into the company at a deep discount.

Having observed things for those three years, I wouldn't take ownership if you gave it to me. Lots of reasons. In time, I could likely make a lot of money but I'd have to put with a lot of stuff I don't like or agree with to do so. And I'd always be below the son, no matter how much more I contribute than he might.

There are perks to both sides of the story.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    It depends a lot on the culture of the new place.
    Agreed, culture is a huge factor.

2 of the 3 partners (at the new firm) used partners at the firm I currently work. While I did not know them at the time, they are friends with the director of the department I am currently in.

I'd imagine that culture is not going to be an issue in this case.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Easier to get noticed at a smaller company, although it is a bigger risk. So they question is are you at a point in your life where you can afford a calculated risk to possibly make huge gains?

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    Easier to get noticed at a smaller company, although it is a bigger risk. So they question is are you at a point in your life where you can afford a calculated risk to possibly make huge gains?
    I'm 26, no wife, no kids, no mortgage, etc. so I'd say yes.

To make it an even harder decision, I just got out of the director's office and I am being promoted.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Sometimes change is good, sometimes bad, usually always exciting, guaranteed to learn something, And you probably deep down already know what the correct answer is for you and your future.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Makes me wish I'd majored in Accounting or IT instead of Econ... I wouldn't mind working long hours at this point in my life.

You got to take chances in life. My grandpal always told me you got to take risks in life if you want to make it big. He also tells me you won't make money working for someone else. My grandpal started years ago doing concrete sidewalks for people by himself and now has over 3000 people working for him.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Just got off of the phone with the recruiter and it looks like they expect me to throw out the first compensation offer. He did say that a 10% bump would not be out of the question and that I would get paid overtime (which I do not currently).

My current salary is ~55k. With the promotion, I’m expecting a 9-11% raise to put me at ~60k. Another 10% on top of that plus overtime would be nice.

The last thing the recruiter said is that they want to offer enough money to make me excited about the offer.

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    He also tells me you won't make money working for someone else.
    That is why I am working toward making partner.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

So hold out for 20% to make you really excited

Not that unheard of, trust me. I'm currently at ~ $60K a year, the company that wants to recruit me is talking $60 an hour.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

You get a lot more money these days switching companies then staying at the same one, trust me I've been at my company 7 years and promoted 5 times but that's limited me with increases.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by gwballin View Post
    Looks like I have a decision to make.

I have been working for the earth’s largest accounting firm for 2.5 years now and I am up for promotion this year. Based on the local economy (middle market) I don’t think that it is going to happen.

I just went to lunch with a couple of partners from a local firm and they are going to make me an offer to join their firm as senior/manager. Their firm is growing considerably (they are on track to do 4.5 million in revenue this year) and is an opportunity for me to take on a lot of new work. The tax partner is looking for an exit strategy for when he retires in 5 to 7 years and he thinks I may be it.

Do I stay with the very large, stable, well established firm or do I go to a growing firm that is in a better position to grow in the New Orleans economy?
    are you happy with what youve got? or are you willing to risk it for something "more"?

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    You get a lot more money these days switching companies then staying at the same one, trust me I've been at my company 7 years and promoted 5 times but that's limited me with increases.
    I know, especially at the firm I’m with. They think it is an honor just to work for them and the salaries reflect that.

There is some truth to it however, last year BusinessWeek name it the best company in the country to “Launch a Career”

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    are you happy with what youve got? or are you willing to risk it for something "more"?
    I'm always looking for more, that is how you get a head in life.

The thing is that it is not that big of a risk, I've spoken to the director of my department since he is friends with the guys offering me the job and since I'm would be leaving on good terms (provided I decide to do so) I could always come back if it didn’t work out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information