Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I've made my mind up

Hey guys,

After chatting with my dad some i've made up my mind what i'm gonna do with my car situation....

I'm the same guy who's parents where having some issues recently but they have counseling now and it seems to be working pretty dag on good... and i'm pretty happy about that.

Well i've decided just to keep the suburban Z71 we've got....

I think my mom has been thinking about upgrading to an S600.... so i decided to just help my parents save some money and just keep the truck. I'm fortunate to have that handed down to me.. i'm stoked

Well that truck will not be stock and with the 3500 i have saved up will go towards...

Mudding tires
    Smoked heads and tails
    Some kind of catback
    Touch screen radio unit/ GPS
    Brush guard

What do you guys think?

BTW

I am giving up a New edge GT, or a foxbody
    Last edited by Transamws6; 08-05-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Um careful on the tire size, you go to big your going to kill your gear ratio and fuel economy. Unless you plan on changing your gears as well. look into ARB brush guards, made in austrailia and the best you can buy. they are not like the cheapy ones that rust and fall apart. when you decide on tires, lift and gears buy your tires and rims in a combo there are alot of companies that do that. if you plan on really taking it off road add a winch to the list and learn how to use it. also don't buy any rim OVER 16" they suck affroad because the rim takes up most of the tire size and don't allow the tire to flex as needed in off road situations.

If your are offroading it have a custom flowmaster exaust made where it will not catch on anything. don't even think about a cold air intake,especially if running in mud and water, those will suck crap right in your engine.

You may also want to add a high powered cb in case you do get stuck, can't get out and the cell phone don't get reception.
    Last edited by cuervo25_1; 08-05-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Don't add weight and drag with the guard up front, unless you mean just a single loop one. Forget the full coverage bumpers imo. Those and tires will hurt your mpgs. You might try Cooper Discoverers for big tires. My grandpa has some 315/70-17 (35") Coopers and they are great. Near silent for an all terrain and get as good of traction as his previous all terrain k/o BFG's for less $$$. Smoked headlights will probably get you in trouble, but if you don't do the tails too dark they'll be fine. If I were you, I would put the majority of my money in the audio/video system. You can always transfer that stuff to another car or sell it and it makes the everyday driving experience better, unlike tires or exhaust. I told you to keep the 'Burb all along. You can fit lots of girls in that truck Or just one and have a little rolling apartment If you want to go fast you could still get an old car cheap, maybe sell the burb...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Are you really saving them money though? They could always sell the burb and get you the GT...either way they're not getting any richer or poorer if the burb is paid off.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Are you really saving them money though? They could always sell the burb and get you the GT...either way they're not getting any richer or poorer if the burb is paid off.
    Yea but if he sells the burb and Buys a GT he may not have the 3500 bucks to play with. He is better off holding on to the suburban that is already liceanced,insured,and registered. then having to go through all that again. not to mention his insurance will be much higher with the GT due to his age and the fact he is a male than what it will be with the suburban. so yes in a way he is saving them money.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    Um careful on the tire size, you go to big your going to kill your gear ratio and fuel economy. Unless you plan on changing your gears as well. look into ARB brush guards, made in austrailia and the best you can buy. they are not like the cheapy ones that rust and fall apart. when you decide on tires, lift and gears buy your tires and rims in a combo there are alot of companies that do that. if you plan on really taking it off road add a winch to the list and learn how to use it. also don't buy any rim OVER 16" they suck affroad because the rim takes up most of the tire size and don't allow the tire to flex as needed in off road situations.

If your are offroading it have a custom flowmaster exaust made where it will not catch on anything. don't even think about a cold air intake,especially if running in mud and water, those will suck crap right in your engine.

You may also want to add a high powered cb in case you do get stuck, can't get out and the cell phone don't get reception.
    Yea thanks for the tips man.

I do plan on going off roading once shes modded the way i want her.. And yea i wasn't thinking about any of the mods you mentioned.... Haven't decided what tire size i'm going with yet. I'm thinking maybe 305's and i forgot i'd like to do some kind of lift kit.... And i'm gonna keep the stock rims on there and just git more aggresive tires...

And i will definentley look into the arb brush guards.

I have a question about the gears though.

What does the tire size have to do with the gear ratio? And how does it affect your fuel economy?

BTW i don't think that CB radio will be necessary haha... i won't be going that deep off road lol....

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Don't add weight and drag with the guard up front, unless you mean just a single loop one. Forget the full coverage bumpers imo. Those and tires will hurt your mpgs. You might try Cooper Discoverers for big tires. My grandpa has some 315/70-17 (35") Coopers and they are great. Near silent for an all terrain and get as good of traction as his previous all terrain k/o BFG's for less $$$. Smoked headlights will probably get you in trouble, but if you don't do the tails too dark they'll be fine. If I were you, I would put the majority of my money in the audio/video system. You can always transfer that stuff to another car or sell it and it makes the everyday driving experience better, unlike tires or exhaust. I told you to keep the 'Burb all along. You can fit lots of girls in that truck Or just one and have a little rolling apartment If you want to go fast you could still get an old car cheap, maybe sell the burb...
    Yea man thanks for the tips... I know you've been telling me to keep the burb haha i just am addicted to speed and i still don't know if i'm making the right decision but it should be a cool project...

And yea i'm not too concerned with the aerodynamics on the truck lol i know putting the brush guard on there will mess with the gas mileage a little bit but it shouldn't hurt it that much...

About the tires i'm either gonna get nitto's or BFG's and they will be mudding tires why? I post on this forum called Z71TahoeSuburban.com and they've got a bunch of guys over there who mud there Z71's and they say those are the best choices out there but they are a lot of mulah.... so i'll probably look into those Coopers lol...

About the audio and visual system there is no way that i'm gonna put a lot of money into that it's not that important to me... i just want a decent set of subs and a touch screen lol thats it.... No tv screens in the headrests none of that. The truck will be taken off road not to car shows lol...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Off roading breaks things

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    I think your right........ But i just thought it'd be a cool project to mod the burb thats all and i (thought) it'd save them money... but what do i know lol...

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    True.... racing does to though

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Transamws6 View Post
    True.... racing does to though
    I suppose it depends on how far you go with mods, & you're not looking for a track car are you?.
    Mudding though, is entirely different & I think you'll agree that you won't take it easy off road.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Not if built the right way. It is when you put oversized wheels on ,don't change your gear ratio and beef up other various parts is when crap breaks. I have built and offroaded many years and only broke stuff when firs starting because I was bull headed and didn't listen to what my dad and neighbor told me.

yes if your tire height is tall enough it will throw off the gear ratio which will kill your power and fuel economy. The taller the tire the higher it makes your gear ratio. for example if you burb has 3:73 .1 gear ratio if you put tires on that are taller you may have 3:55 or higher. that in turn makes your engine work harder to get you moving.

Nittos suck go with the BFG's, if it becomes more off road than on, get some
    radial superswampers. BTW do you have 16 or 17 in rims?

Here is a site with tire and rim package deals

http://www.tirepackage.com/

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

I suppose it depends on how far you go with mods, & you're not looking for a track car are you?.
    Mudding though, is entirely different & I think you'll agree that you won't take it easy off road.
    ha... yea if i did wind up getting a car it'd be probably just a high 11 low 12 sec. street car so no i'm not EXACTLY looking for a track car but yea it does have a lot to do with mods when performance cars start breaking...

But no way am i taking it easy off road lol.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    Not if built the right way. It is when you put oversized wheels on ,don't change your gear ratio and beef up other various parts is when crap breaks. I have built and offroaded many years and only broke stuff when firs starting because I was bull headed and didn't listen to what my dad and neighbor told me.

yes if your tire height is tall enough it will throw off the gear ratio which will kill your power and fuel economy. The taller the tire the higher it makes your gear ratio. for example if you burb has 3:73 .1 gear ratio if you put tires on that are taller you may have 3:55 or higher. that in turn makes your engine work harder to get you moving.

Nittos suck go with the BFG's, if it becomes more off road than on, get some
    radial superswampers. BTW do you have 16 or 17 in rims?

Here is a site with tire and rim package deals

http://www.tirepackage.com/
    I believe they are 17' rims.

And thanks for the link and info man.

I'm guessing the right gears to go with are a higher gear ratio... what would you suggest?

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

I'm guessing the right gears to go with are a higher gear ratio... what would you suggest?
    actually the way it works is you want lower gears.

the taller the tire makes your gear ratio higher. for example my old truck had a 3:73.1 gear ratio but when i put my taller tires on it i installed 4:56. 1 gears
    that in turn brought it back to 3:73.1 gear ratio. I have a chart somewhere that tells what gears you want for the size tire your using. see if you can get a 16 in rim on the hub without it rubbing,If I am correct your spare may be a 16 just slide under and look. if it is buy 16 in rims instead of using the 17" rims. as stated you will get better off road traction, plus it will save your factory rims from damage. alloy rims or steel? well that depends on how wide you want to go on tires. the narrower I would do steel ,steel rims take much more of a beating than alloy will. wider you go go alloy, they are lighter and when you go to wide it will cause less stress on bearings,gears and such than what the steel ones will. I am sure the guys at that site would be able to reccomend what would be best for your application.

Yea I know it is alot to grasp at first but as you go along and decide to do a mod just send me a PM and I will do my best to walk you through it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

17 foot rims? This belongs in the Candy Cars thread.....

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

[QUOTE=67CamaroRSSS;2015120]17 foot rims? This belongs in the Candy Cars thread.....[/QUOT

LOL hell no.... 17 inch rims hahahaha.....

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

You will have clearance issues with anything larger than 306/70/17's. Also, if you get mud tires buy the BFG M/T's or Toyo M/T's. Stay away from the Mud Grapplers. They will wear out in a year and you'll be out some cash. About the gears, find out what you have now, my guess is a 3.23 or smaller so you can't run 35 or 37 inch tires until you re gear. Like I said before, mudding, while fun, is expensive. You will know what I'm talking about when you hit that puddle that didn't look that deep. Brush guard won't save you either.

2011 Prius

I like the Tahoe, personally I wish I had bought one and drove daily. I really have a soft spot for a lifted Z71 (Mild Lift). Then looked for an IROC-Z for the weekend, while looking/saving for an 98-02 WS6.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    You will have clearance issues with anything larger than 306/70/17's. Also, if you get mud tires buy the BFG M/T's or Toyo M/T's. Stay away from the Mud Grapplers. They will wear out in a year and you'll be out some cash. About the gears, find out what you have now, my guess is a 3.23 or smaller so you can't run 35 or 37 inch tires until you re gear. Like I said before, mudding, while fun, is expensive. You will know what I'm talking about when you hit that puddle that didn't look that deep. Brush guard won't save you either.
    Thanks for the info man... And yea i'm gonna proabably see which one is cheaper between the toyos or the BFG's which ever one is cheaper i'll probably go with. It's really hard to find info on this truck.... so i have no clue what gear i have but i'll find out....

Thanks for your tips once again man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information