iTunes and Credit Card Fraud

(Edit: that should be "Card" in the title!)
    I noticed a series of iTunes purchases on my online statement. I don't have an iTunes account, my card wasn't stolen, and the only person living here is me. According to iTunes, it's probably fraud, test purchases in a way. (Apple apparently has been letting that happen for years. Screw Apple and its shitty music.) I told the bank to cancel the card.

I got the card just a few months ago. My guess is that a retail employee got my information. A small online retailer? Fast food place? I'm not suspicious of a doctor's office, Amazon.com, and small local stores I visit regularly. Any idea how to narrow it down? For example, how quickly after skimming are cards usually misused? Provided the customer isn't stupid, can skimming be done in plain view?

Black
    '99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by clovenhooves View Post
    can skimming be done in plain view?
    http://www.barcodesinc.com/cats/credit-card-readers/

Yes, and very fast.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Provided the customer isn't stupid, can skimming be done in plain view?
    Yes. I saw a surprising video a while back on how quickly a card can be swiped through a skimmer right in front of the customer.

On of the examples showed the waitress getting the card from the customer at the table, "dropping it", and then after picking it up, swiping it though a skimmer attached to her ankle on her way back up.

I'll try an find it, I think it was on YouTube or something.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Yes. I saw a surprising video a while back on how quickly a card can be swiped through a skimmer right in front of the customer.

On of the examples showed the waitress getting the card from the customer at the table, "dropping it", and then after picking it up, swiping it though a skimmer attached to her ankle on her way back up.

I'll try an find it, I think it was on YouTube or something.
    Few years ago in one of my IT classes our instructor showed us how easy it was to hack into any major retailer CC database using just a wireless laptop and sitting in the parking lot.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I had an extra charge on my card after eating at a restaurant. Called the manager right away. I got a free meal out of that one.

Make sure you check your statements regularly.

Only a few times did I ever give the card to someone to swipe for me, mostly at a store I trust. It could have happened at a burger place where the guy swiped the card behind the counter.... It could also have been a card skimming device installed at an ATM or gas station. I don't like cops, but this is one time where I ought to talk to the authorities.
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 04-18-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Artic White
    1999 SS A4

I just caught some unauthorized charges on my debit card. I had itunes and some other online blackberry email service and USPS.com. My mom just had the same thing done, with charges from Blizzard.com (WOW) and itunes. I'm pretty sure it was from Monoprice.com, they recently had a message about customer info being taken. Monoprice sent me a free subscription to a credit monitoring service since I had bought from them in when they were hacked.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Few years ago in one of my IT classes our instructor showed us how easy it was to hack into any major retailer CC database using just a wireless laptop and sitting in the parking lot.
    Doesn't surprise me, most places don't even consider that sort of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Art99SS View Post
    I just caught some unauthorized charges on my debit card. I had itunes and some other online blackberry email service and USPS.com. My mom just had the same thing done, with charges from Blizzard.com (WOW) and itunes. I'm pretty sure it was from Monoprice.com, they recently had a message about customer info being taken. Monoprice sent me a free subscription to a credit monitoring service since I had bought from them in when they were hacked.
    Funny you should mention that, a friend of mine had her credit card stolen and on her statement it showed a WoW subscription payment; she said something along the lines of "Some nerd paid for his world of warcraft on my credit card... if you're going to steal my card, at least buy something cool, jeez"

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

ya monoprice had some issues, but they should be resolved now

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I had my info stolen at a bar once. They started the next day. Give the cc company all the info you can so they can try and catch the scum.

The bank doesn't seem very interested. I am going to visit the police station. Is it significant that the iTunes purchases are listed as debit? Security code (# on back) transactions count as debit? Since that code is not on the magnetic strip, that means either somebody wrote it down or it was generated by a program?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

The bank doesn't care? That is where you got the debit card right? My bank calls me every now and then to make sure a large purchase was made by me etc. or if it's made across the country they'll call me and make sure i am on vacation etc....that's weird

Black
    2005 GTO

The bank doesn't seem very interested. I am going to visit the police station. Is it significant that the iTunes purchases are listed as debit? Security code (# on back) transactions count as debit? Since that code is not on the magnetic strip, that means either somebody wrote it down or it was generated by a program?
    Your bank should handle this and a good bank should refund you the money. I had this happen a few months back. Had four charges for $67 all within minutes of each other from the same place. The company from the little spanish I know was a telephone service in madrid spain. Called the bank they cancelled the card and took it from there they also got my money back to me in about 7 days. Don't know if they ever caught anyone but they seemed at least concerned and took some action.

It seems like the bank intends to return my money (or else I'd be ranting here). However, I didn't detect much interest in how my card info was obtained.

As for my questions, I just read, "The only thing not included is the three-digit security code on the back of your card, but the representative told me that they can generate those codes on a computer."
    Last edited by clovenhooves; 04-20-2010 at 08:07 AM.

Story over, for now.

I had to find out from the police that the bank uses an affidavit. As though the bank was hoping I'd not find out and therefore not formally ask for my money back. I submitted the document, and the money was quickly returned to me.

Also, identity fraud is rampant. A few people came in with the same problem on my first visit and on my return visit the woman in front of me took up a lot of time with a real horror story about it. As she was leaving, she told me to deal with Equifax so that that won't happen to me. (No, she wasn't hot.) There's a special fraud division that might contact me, though everything I overheard her saying has me doubting the police seriously investigate many cases. I also overheard idiot foreigners who drove unlicensed trying to get vehicles released from impound.

Thread Information