Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

interesting thinking test of everyday life

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Me too

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

14 thank God I got the venetian blinds question wrong.

Awaiting Activation

25 out of 25. They're arent that hard if you think for a second.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Their question about water going down the drain is wrong.

They say it goes clockwise in the Northern hemisphere, which is incorrect if you are assuming the coriolis forces are affecting it. It should spin in the same direction as a hurricane in the same hemisphere, which is counterclockwise in the Northern..

Actually, water in a basin is too small a body for the coriolis effect to matter. It could spin either way.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Their question about water going down the drain is wrong.

They say it goes clockwise in the Northern hemisphere, which is incorrect if you are assuming the coriolis forces are affecting it. It should spin in the same direction as a hurricane in the same hemisphere, which is counterclockwise in the Northern..

Actually, water in a basin is too small a body for the coriolis effect to matter. It could spin either way.
    just went and filled the sink and pulled the plug... the fucker goes clockwise..... lol

24-25 btw

1966 Corvette Coupe

Every day things?

When was the last time you saw a TV with a dial on it... UHF?!?! yeah i screwed with that last thursday...

-me

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I don't remember which ones I missed. The fan one is bullshit cuz I was thinking how it rotates, not how i look at it.

How many of you cheated btw?

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    just went and filled the sink and pulled the plug... the fucker goes clockwise..... lol

24-25 btw
    Once again, look at a hurricane. This is the effect they were trying to imply.

Hurricanes in the Northern hemisphere ALWAYS spin counter-clockwise due to coriolis forces.

Is it possible to detect the Earth’s rotation in a draining sink?

Yes, but it is very difficult. Because the Coriolis force is so small, one must go to extraordinary lengths to detect it. But, it has been done. You cannot use an ordinary sink for it lacks the requisite circular symmetry: its oval shape and off-center drain render any results suspect. Those who have succeeded used a smooth pan of about one meter in diameter with a very small hole in the center. A stopper (which could be removed from below so as to not introduce any spurious motion) blocked the hole while the pan was being filled with water. The water was then allowed to sit undisturbed for perhaps a week to let all of the motion die out which was introduced during filling. Then, the stopper was removed (from below). Because the hole was very small, the pan drained slowly indeed. This was necessary, because it takes hours before the tiny Coriolis force could develop sufficient deviation in the draining water for it to produce a circular flow. With these procedures, it was found that the rotation was always cyclonic.

Negro
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Once again, look at a hurricane. This is the effect they were trying to imply.

Hurricanes in the Northern hemisphere ALWAYS spin counter-clockwise due to coriolis forces.

Is it possible to detect the Earth’s rotation in a draining sink?

Yes, but it is very difficult. Because the Coriolis force is so small, one must go to extraordinary lengths to detect it. But, it has been done. You cannot use an ordinary sink for it lacks the requisite circular symmetry: its oval shape and off-center drain render any results suspect. Those who have succeeded used a smooth pan of about one meter in diameter with a very small hole in the center. A stopper (which could be removed from below so as to not introduce any spurious motion) blocked the hole while the pan was being filled with water. The water was then allowed to sit undisturbed for perhaps a week to let all of the motion die out which was introduced during filling. Then, the stopper was removed (from below). Because the hole was very small, the pan drained slowly indeed. This was necessary, because it takes hours before the tiny Coriolis force could develop sufficient deviation in the draining water for it to produce a circular flow. With these procedures, it was found that the rotation was always cyclonic.
    hurricane blah blah blah, they wanna know about the sink not the hurricanes lol

Thread Information