Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Arrow Info requested concerning Mid-90s Asian SUVs

Good evening gentlemen,

I'm interested in whether or not any of you have had any experience with mid-90's Asian SUVs, specifically Honda Passports, Nissan Pathfinders, and Toyota 4Runners of the 1994-1998 model year range.

If you do have experience with any of the aforementioned vehicles, hearing your stories of troublesome areas would be greatly appreciated.

At best, the reviews I receive would come from those who have owned such vehicles. Second best, I would hope to hear from those who may have worked at a dealership of one of these companies, or otherwise in which you have experienced a fair share of these vehicles and what problems seem to commonly occur.

Now, I know this is an LS1 website and therefore you're all a bunch of Mopar guys, so for you, "My uncles' friends' brother had one and it sucked" would be an acceptable analysis, however I'm looking for something a bit more substantial. That's not to say I don't welcome anything that will make me crack a smile

Thank you in advance good sirs, for whatever information you may provide to me.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

4runners go on forever. My friend and his were both born '93. Bought new by his parents

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    4runners go on forever. My friend and his were both born '93. Bought new by his parents
    I've heard very good things about them.

My best friends' family has had one since the both of us were but wee little ones, and it's still going strong.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Steve Irwin had a 4runner and now he's dead...just something to think about.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

my brother in law has an 88(?) 4Runner that still runs, except for two of the tires have dry rotted off and it's leaning over in his yard. It's lifted on 35s, so it's funny looking. +200k miles and still runs like a champ.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Steve Irwin had a 4runner and now he's dead...just something to think about.

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

i know these aren't midsized suvs, but we just sold our '92 toyota land cruiser and the thing had 162k on the clock and never once gave us any problems. the only work we did on it in the 12 years we had it, was change the brake lines because they rusted away from sitting outside up north for all that time and the weather and salt and all that ate'em.

only reason why we sold it is because my dad wanted to downsize and get my mom a nice little car to knock around town with, and no longer needed 2 suvs. when we bought our house in tn and was back and fourth between tn and nyc for about 5 years, the thing just sat, and whenever my dad needed it, he'd plug the battery in and it'd start right up and do exactly what it was told, which was hauling a heavy load, and never stuttered. great suv, i miss it. it sold literally the day we put the "for sale" sign on it.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by chiller2484 View Post
    my brother in law has an 88(?) 4Runner that still runs, except for two of the tires have dry rotted off and it's leaning over in his yard. It's lifted on 35s, so it's funny looking. +200k miles and still runs like a champ.
    I see, so the motor is good but the tires dry rotted? Is that common in this model coolface.jpg?

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

My dad had a '95 Honda Passport he bought right off the lot. Not a single hiccup until the engine blew up in '04 around the 190k mark.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by lawless View Post
    i know these aren't midsized suvs, but we just sold our '92 toyota land cruiser and the thing had 162k on the clock and never once gave us any problems. the only work we did on it in the 12 years we had it, was change the brake lines because they rusted away from sitting outside up north for all that time and the weather and salt and all that ate'em.

only reason why we sold it is because my dad wanted to downsize and get my mom a nice little car to knock around town with, and no longer needed 2 suvs. when we bought our house in tn and was back and fourth between tn and nyc for about 5 years, the thing just sat, and whenever my dad needed it, he'd plug the battery in and it'd start right up and do exactly what it was told, which was hauling a heavy load, and never stuttered. great suv, i miss it. it sold literally the day we put the "for sale" sign on it.
    Thanks very much for the info, I'm sure there are many similar parts, etc even though they're different models.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    My dad had a '95 Honda Passport he bought right off the lot. Not a single hiccup until the engine blew up in '04 around the 190k mark.
    I don't plan on buying one with that many miles, but you mean that as in the head gasket blowing, right?

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I don't plan on buying one with that many miles, but you mean that as in the head gasket blowing, right?
    Yep.

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

anytime
    yeah, the mid 90's four runners have a great reputation too, my dad wanted one for a while so he did a nice bit of research on them, too.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    Yep.
    Oh, well after owning my thirdgen for so long that repair is like an oil change to me, so even better if that's the only thing that goes wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by lawless View Post
    anytime
    yeah, the mid 90's four runners have a great reputation too, my dad wanted one for a while so he did a nice bit of research on them, too.
    After further investigation it appears that you are neither a gentleman nor a sir. Thank you for exceeding expectations and answering this call.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

what happens if this one goes pop?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    what happens if this one goes pop?
    If which one does what now?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

any, they're old cars

Epoxy Block atm
    '68 Firebird LS1

After further investigation it appears that you are neither a gentleman nor a sir. Thank you for exceeding expectations and answering this call.
    it's all good

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

I see, so the motor is good but the tires dry rotted? Is that common in this model coolface.jpg?
    yeah the motors last forever it seems. just don't leave it sitting beside your house for a year or more, without driving it, and expect the tires to be in good shape!

black
    98 WS6

for some strange reason A LOT of hot chicks in Tahoe own 4runners

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Welllll,

My sisters boyfriends fathers uncles grandads 3rd wifes sisters friend said her grannies aunts mothers dads 3rd cousin had 1 and said it was crap...

Sorry that this review is so 3rd hand...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information