Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation The Incredible 628 HP LS9 - An Inside Look

The Incredible 628 HP LS9 - An Inside Look

We do a deep dive on the incredible 638hp engine in the new Corvette ZR1 with the men responsible for it.The SAE-certified numbers are in. Now it's official: The 6.2L LS9 engine developed for the new Corvette ZR1 makes 638 hp at 6,500 rpm and 605 lb-ft of torque at 3,800 rpm. That makes the LS9 the most powerful production engine ever offered by the Detroit Three. Given the times, this event strikes us as a hot rod miracle. We were expecting maybe another new hybrid or a hot E85 turbo four-banger. But a supercharged V-8 with nearly 650 hp? How does an engine like that even happen in this day and age?

Photo Gallery: An Inside Look at the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 628 HP LS9 Engine - Hot Rod Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...

what a monster

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

looks delicious

White and black
    2001 SS Artic white

Question: How Much?? And Will it fit in a F-Body??

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Orrin's Z View Post
    Question: How Much?? And Will it fit in a F-Body??
    when crate does come out look for close to 20k..deff high teens..the ls7 still pulls for 14k....will it fit..the block will..but the s/c wont without some work...and i wonder if it can use a conventional oil pump or if it needs a dry sump system..i'd love to see one swapped into a g8

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

now thats some muscle

98' trans am

i find it funny some of the gm's guys responses to the ls9..saying its the best and true muscle etc...but then before the ls9..they would rag on the cobra's engine.. saying the only way they could make any power was by s/c'ing it

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    when crate does come out look for close to 20k..deff high teens..the ls7 still pulls for 14k....will it fit..the block will..but the s/c wont without some work...and i wonder if it can use a conventional oil pump or if it needs a dry sump system..i'd love to see one swapped into a g8
    just think what you could have if you spent 20k building a motor.

Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

I just came.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Nhra Firebird View Post
    just think what you could have if you spent 20k building a motor.

lol a very good engine

black black black
    77 swb

i find it funny some of the gm's guys responses to the ls9..saying its the best and true muscle etc...but then before the ls9..they would rag on the cobra's engine.. saying the only way they could make any power was by s/c'ing it
    Uhhh, 390 horsepower and 638 are two vastly different power levels.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008/...ases.html#more

Here is a article that was just realeased about the LS9 crate engine.

This is what was said about fitment:

The LS9 crate engine will be the ideal all-in package for enthusiasts and racers who want the ultimate LS power plant for their project cars, from resto-modified vintage Corvettes, muscle cars and street rods to late model F-bodies and “shoebox” Chevys. The supercharger and charge cooler are integrated in the engine’s valley for a lower profile, allowing creative builders to fit the engine in a variety of applications with plenty of hood clearance.

It does not go on to say how much it will cost.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman5000 View Post
    Uhhh, 390 horsepower
    ford underrated the terms...430/430...most every now knows that. so 430 with 8psi out of a 4.6...compared to a 638 with 10.5 psi out of a 6.2..so yea

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman5000 View Post
    390 horsepower and 638 are two vastly different power levels.
    so is the displacement..but what does that have to do with the fact that gm zealots would say that s/c is the only way ford can play and make big numbers..also mind you the gt..(aka gt40) pulls 500+ to the wheels out of its 5.4 engine s/c'd...

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    http://www.thetorquereport.com/2008/...ases.html#more

Here is a article that was just realeased about the LS9 crate engine.

This is what was said about fitment:

The LS9 crate engine will be the ideal all-in package for enthusiasts and racers who want the ultimate LS power plant for their project cars, from resto-modified vintage Corvettes, muscle cars and street rods to late model F-bodies and “shoebox” Chevys. The supercharger and charge cooler are integrated in the engine’s valley for a lower profile, allowing creative builders to fit the engine in a variety of applications with plenty of hood clearance.

It does not go on to say how much it will cost.
    hmmm thanks for that info..it would be nice if it is true that the ls9 does fit

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

ford underrated the terms...430/430...most every now knows that. so 430 with 8psi out of a 4.6...compared to a 638 with 10.5 psi out of a 6.2..so yea

so is the displacement..but what does that have to do with the fact that gm zealots would say that s/c is the only way ford can play and make big numbers..also mind you the gt..(aka gt40) pulls 500+ to the wheels out of its 5.4 engine s/c'd...
    i love the blown fords and this BLOWN ls9. But the comments made about the cobra and ford gt can also be applied to the zr1. Did the zr1 NEED a blower to compete with the most current vipers? Who knows. Blown, n/a, turbo, who gives a fuck. What matters is to enjoy these great cars and if any of us are fortunate to even ride in one nevermind purchase one, then savor the ride. It all comes down to the feelin ya get when ya step on that pedal

black black black
    77 swb

Show me where a Ford has made big power numbers without forced induction.

I was never in the camp that thought it was cheating to use a blower because I believed that you could get the same power with better NVH levels and better driveability. For a given displacement anyway.

That is the important part...displacement. Chevy could have used the z06 engine and got more power out of it...it just wouldn't idle.

black black black
    77 swb

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    i love the blown fords and this BLOWN ls9. But the comments made about the cobra and ford gt can also be applied to the zr1. Did the zr1 NEED a blower to compete with the most current vipers? Who knows. Blown, n/a, turbo, who gives a fuck. What matters is to enjoy these great cars and if any of us are fortunate to even ride in one nevermind purchase one, then savor the ride. It all comes down to the feelin ya get when ya step on that pedal

I think that yes, yes they did need it if they weren't going to make a v10 LS style engine. That Viper is crazy huge in the displacement category.

GM has standards for idle and engine longevity and such and this means they have to work in certain parameters. A supercharger helps, although I read a magazine article that mentioned they had a turbo version but it caught fire or something and that was the end of that.

silver
    2002 ws6

difference is gm is now using f\i to dominate. ford uses f\i to do anything at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information