View Poll Results: Are import cars made of better quality?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes imports are better quality cars

17 27.87%
  • No they are of the same quality

18 29.51%
  • No Gm/ford/chrysler makes a better product

19 31.15%
  • I'm not sure

7 11.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Question Are import cars better quality?

Was discussing this with some of the import car guys at my job, they were trash talking, ford ,chrysler and GM, saying they made a inferior product, I've only owned gm and ford stuff, so I really can't comment on this. What do you guys think?

im in the same boat you are in. thus far i havent had any major problems with any of my chevy vehicles. Although my wife has a 04 malibu that im not too impressed with the interior quality

Black
    , 2007 CBR600RR

by import you mean cars that are shipped over from other contries? so any car that is not built in america.. because tons of foreign cares are built here...

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Every car I have ever owned was from the General. I'm happy as always.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by state69champ View Post
    by import you mean cars that are shipped over from other contries? so any car that is not built in america.. because tons of foreign cares are built here...
    Toyota, mits, honda, VW etc

LPM
    2000 Camaro SS

In the '70's and '80's, domestic manufacturer's products were indeed dismal. It was during those days that sales of imports increased drastically.

Since then, the domestics have increased quality to the point that it is on a par with most imports. The perception still exists in the public mind that imports are inherently better quality. This reputation was well earned in the past, and it takes a long time for those perceptions to change.

So the answer to those guys is that they used to be right, but are not keeping up with the times.
    Cheers,
    Steve SSOA F00-1363 CCSD #204
    2000 Camaro SS Lt. Pewter, neutral leather, M6, Hurst, PEG2, ASR, defogger
    SLP Chrome ZR1's, D-D exhaust, Bilstein, Castrol, cover, mats, fobs

http://camaroclubofsandiego.org

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Yes.

Leaving out the obvious luxury makes like Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc, many mainstream makes such as Toyota, Honda, etc keep improving their cars. Even the stereotyped 'cheaper' car makes like Kia and Hyundai are making great cars.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

If I ever drove a Chevy that didn't have all sorts of wind noise I'd think I was stopped at a light.

The big three make shit cars & have convinced the American public we should pay high vehicle costs to fund the UAW's goddamned retirment funds.

Quit MOPAR late 60's......Ford in 71.....With the BS they're pulling, GM can suck my dick too!

I'll never buy another.

That is all!

LPM
    2000 Camaro SS

Question

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    If I ever drove a Chevy that didn't have all sorts of wind noise I'd think I was stopped at a light.

The big three make shit cars & have convinced the American public we should pay high vehicle costs to fund the UAW's goddamned retirment funds.

Quit MOPAR late 60's......Ford in 71.....With the BS they're pulling, GM can suck my dick too!

I'll never buy another.

That is all!
    So WTF are you doing here?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSS1363 View Post
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Seriously...any more of a negative attitude you'd think an American car maker stole your first born child...

Bottom line is the playing field has leveled. The Asians no longer hold an edge in quality. Cars like the new Malibu, Corvette, Silverado, Taurus, Edge, Explorer, F-150, ect are all top notch quality, and often better than their Asian competition. Its also nice that when they do get old and need parts replaced, they aren't designed by assholes (asian cars have some of the worst designs to work on, ever) and parts won't cost a ridiculous amount. its nice to change out a wheel bearing thats only held in by 4 bolts (GM, Ford, Chrysler) instead of some piece of shit thats pressed into the spindle and requires a shop press to remove (Asian).

For example, look at the new Silverado vs. the new Tundra. Silverado looks 10 times nicer inside and out, the interior is much nicer quality and better designed, the engine is exponentionally better (toyota's new 5.7 has been eating camshafts), and the Silverado is easier to service and repair. Look at both engine bays, and you can tell which one was designed by the japs, because its an overly complicated mess of crap.
    Last edited by Wesman; 04-12-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Seriously...any more of a negative attitude you'd think an American car maker stole your first born child...

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I own an F-body.....WTF do you think I'm doing here???

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

Bottom line is the playing field has leveled. The Asians no longer hold an edge in quality. Cars like the new Malibu, Corvette, Silverado, Taurus, Edge, Explorer, F-150, ect are all top notch quality, and often better than their Asian competition. Its also nice that when they do get old and need parts replaced, they aren't designed by assholes (asian cars have some of the worst designs to work on, ever) and parts won't cost a ridiculous amount. its nice to change out a wheel bearing thats only held in by 4 bolts (GM, Ford, Chrysler) instead of some piece of shit thats pressed into the spindle and requires a shop press to remove (Asian).

For example, look at the new Silverado vs. the new Tundra. Silverado looks 10 times nicer inside and out, the interior is much nicer quality and better designed, the engine is exponentionally better (toyota's new 5.7 has been eating camshafts), and the Silverado is easier to service and repair. Look at both engine bays, and you can tell which one was designed by the japs, because its an overly complicated mess of crap.
    Malibu & Taurus a quality car??? Oh please! Quite a reach there.

Yes, how wonderful GM has been to all of us.
    Rotors that warp, faulty wiring that causes bad window motors, new engines that sound like diesels & burn oil, weak rear ends, weak axles, low quality clutches, bad slaves, crappy alternators, dealerships that won't help etc.etc.
    Oh.....& now we have to give money to support them while figure how to rape us some more.
    Do some of these problems sound familiar?
    Should I be happy to throw down another 30-40K for more of the same?? If I am, I deserve just what I get.

Sorry if I offend you.
    I've owned three Camaros, two Chevy trucks a 55 Belair & I loved my 2000 SS since I bought it new, so I am somewhat loyal to GM, but I think the time has come for us to expect better quality.
    I'd also much rather pay for just the car, not the UAW's retirement which is about half the price of the vehicle. 15K is alot more fair than 30K don't you think?
    GM, Ford, Chrysler have failed us miserably in quality for years & we just keep buying into it.

There are other manufacturers other than the Asian market, but since you brought them up, they were way ahead of American manufacturers for years, as were the Europeans & we just refused to get on board.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

cobalt ss/tc is an awesome and very well built car as is the vette, maybe the recent couple years in the malibu have seen great improvements.

Silver
    2002 SS

I own a (wife's) 2007 4Runner and I think it was built in the United States.

I own a 2002 SS Camaro and I think it was built in Canada. Which is more of a foreign car?

The 4Runner is OK and so is the Camaro. They are both V8 powered with the Camaro having more power and better gas mileage while the 4Runner is quieter and can climb hills and drive in the snow better.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

In these discussions, it's not where the car is made, it's where the car's company was founded (More or less).

You could assemble a Camaro in Germany or Kenya. Won't make a difference, same shit in the end.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My thinking is this... Take into consideration that just about every car company produces tens of thousands of cars per year. There are bound to be some bummers. My wifes aunt and uncle have a Honda Mini van that needed its trany replaced after a few months. They bought it new and dont drive hard change oil like it's a religion too. My Camaros power steering pump went out at 28k. They got their van fixed and 4 years later still driving it no probs from new trany. Warrenty replaced my Camaros steering pump and I've been driving it now for 3 years with no probs since. The fact is sometimes we get cars, trucks, etc. that have issues reguardless of who manufactures them! They have ALL produced a lemon at some point! Weather it was a handfull of vehicles or a whole line...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    In these discussions, it's not where the car is made, it's where the car's company was founded (More or less).

You could assemble a Camaro in Germany or Kenya. Won't make a difference, same shit in the end.
    want come see lions

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Rotors that warp, faulty wiring that causes bad window motors, new engines that sound like diesels & burn oil, weak rear ends, weak axles, low quality clutches, bad slaves, crappy alternators, dealerships that won't help etc.etc.
    We all know window motors and brake rotors are known issues. (I actually still have my stock rotors and they're fine tho) Everything else you list is BS tho. Burning oil is not common, piston slap to some degree tho. Axles, rears, and clutches are fine for most owners but if you wanna beat the crap out of it, upgrade it. Still on stock alternator as well and never heard of that one. I had one bad dealership experience and took it to a different one. Made friends sort of with the tech and he ended up installing my 4:10 gears for me. He also got me a brand new door panel (I had scratched the bejeezus out of mine once) for free when he replaced my window motor under warranty. In all, I've had great luck with my Trans Am and it's been a great car.

pewter
    2001 Trans AM WS6

have ownd only generals so cant compare. but i really do want an m3 which i may get this time next year since i will be out of college by then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information