1966 Corvette Coupe

Im thinking about bastardizing an XLR...

Ok so i was looking around at potential buys... I can get a pretty nice XLR for about what a C6 goes for... V's are about $15k more...

Here is where it will forget who it's father is... Super charged LS series motor with a 6 speed (Manual), and im sure ill have to use a stand alone fuel management system... I would loose most of the cool crap that Caddy put on it like the self adjusting cruise and such... but as long as the heads up worked and such...

I've talked about this before and I'm thinking about it again... Doable? Worth it? Should i expect it to hold about the value of a modded vette? would it be cooler than a modded C6 in say 10 years?

The next car I buy i want to hang onto... So in the end it should be fully done with suspension and body work and so forth... but step one would be lose the Northstar and stuff in a manual....

I've been looking at Vipers, but they are about $10k more and the Caddy is just a cooler car to me (not as fast duh) and alot more refined (well till i rip out the seats and what not for some racing buckets...)

-me

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

why not just get a vette

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You still haven't found a car? I remember a thread from like the middle of last year about you selling the vette and thinking about getting a cady,viper or something else.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Nope...

I cant decide what i want... and the cash I figure I'm about to spend i should really know what i want... Prices are so unstable right now I'm also constanly watching car prices like stocks... trying to get in as cheaply as possible...

I still want either a black bird or a 10th firehawk vert... But i might as well be looking for a COPO Camaro in that case...

310... I had a vette I sold it because it wasnt exclusive enough...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Get a Viper before they become Chinese. It doesn't matter how many you see, you always notice them and say "look, a Viper". At least I do, i see like half a dozen of them a year.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

XLR is a badass looking car IMO! You;re gonna have to fab up a lot of shit for that swap, but if you have the $$$ then why not?

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

LS7 in an XLR would be neat.

Red
    2001 Trash Can

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    LS7 in an XLR would be neat.
    Lotza monay!!!

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

What he's talking about already is lots of cash.

1966 Corvette Coupe

Well the car would be high $20k's... I figure i can sell the tranny and the motor for enought to prolly cover maybe half the cost of the conversion...

Nothing SHOULD have to be cut for anything more than the clutch install... the motor mounts SHOULD work... The console will have to be massaged for the gear shift... And of course doing what has to be done to get the car to fire off...

If it wasnt for the DOHC VVT in it in the first place I wouldnt really be scared of it... but that pretty much tells me the computer is useless with a cam in block motor... Plus im sure no one has got tuning software for the Northstar (or i might just consider keeping it...)....

-me

p.s. there is always the DE option (http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-XLR-and-XLRV.php), but then i would have to got with a V series... and im not really sure about how i would feel with a slap stick auto... Maybe if it had a manual valve body i would be ok with it, but im just not sure... and im also pretty sure that is gonna be an electronic shift so i dont even know where to start on firming up the shifts and holding it in gear...
    Last edited by predator; 01-10-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

I like XLR's. Wanted one myself until I saw the price tag. For the type of money you're looking at though, it would be hard to pass up a Viper. And personally I think if I was looking for a unique sports car I'd take a Viper, but a unique DD type car I'd go with an XLR.

I like the thought though, and it would be neat and unique. Value of modded cars is always a shot in the dark though.

All in all though, if you sat both in front of me, same final price, same performance numbers...I'd probably take the XLR. Looks better than newer Vipers IMO, and rides better (although that may/may not change after mods).

Thread Information