Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Im a mechanic, just spent 600 dollars on SEVEN wrench's

Alright, I suppose this is a rant. But I dont care. I am a mechanic, or a technician they call it because I use lap tops. ooooooo

I work for Caterpillar on the big ass machinery. So I need big ass tools, along with the small tools. I have spent probaly 4 grand in tools plus the money I spent on my tool box. I have been working there for a year and a half. Today I spent 1000$ fucking dollars on SEVEN wrenchs and a set of wobble sockets. The seven wrench were 600 bucks. Seven god damn wrenchs. And thats at a HUGE discount threw CAT. If I bought those off Matco or Snap-on it would be 750 or more. I still have at LEAST 8 grand worth of tools to buy before I can say Im able to work on anything.... efficiently. As of now, I have the tools I need to get by.

I make an even 500 aweek. So I just spent two damn weeks of pay in one day. Shit just aint right I tell you. Anyone else out there that is a mechanic that effing hates buying tools? Im sure I am the only one working on shit where you need wrench's that go beyond 2 inch size and sockets in 1/4, 3/8. 1/2, 3/4, and finally, one inch sizes. Plus the damn impacts to power those. A Igersol Rand 3/4 impact is 600 dollars. Then you can add another 1000 just in 3/4 impact sockets. Shit just never ends. Never. I want some angle wrench's for all the damn hydraulic shit I work on... 700 bucks. for a damn set of angled wrench's. I could go on and on, sorry about the rant. I feel better now that im home away from my tool box with abeer.
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 06-27-2007 at 07:43 PM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

sprry man that sucks... shouldnt the company you work for pay for your tools?

at least tools last forever though and you can sell them if you need for close to what you paid for them

'93 S10 LS1

my conversation with the snap-on guy last week:

me: how much for an impact screw driver (the kind you smack with a hammer)?
    strap-on man: $280
    me: what do you get with it?
    strap-on man: the screwdriver and one bit
    me: does it cook me dinner and do my laundry also?

i hate buying tools

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

WHAT???? I bought one of Matco for like 40 or 50 bucks... with a set of bits. Are we talking about the same thing???? no fucking way its 280!!!

All it is is a gear in there that when you whack the fucker it turns the screw with some torque. 280????? no way man, Ethier your guy is on crack, or we are talking about different things.

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

sucks....go get a drink now

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

You know Im already on it.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

At least all of it is deductible at the end of the year.....

When I had my own shop I even got to write off my race car.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Alright, I suppose this is a rant. But I dont care. I am a mechanic, or a technician they call it because I use lap tops. ooooooo

I work for Caterpillar on the big ass machinery. So I need big ass tools, along with the small tools. I have spent probaly 4 grand in tools plus the money I spent on my tool box. I have been working there for a year and a half. Today I spent 1000$ fucking dollars on SEVEN wrenchs and a set of wobble sockets. The seven wrench were 600 bucks. Seven god damn wrenchs. And thats at a HUGE discount threw CAT. If I bought those off Matco or Snap-on it would be 750 or more. I still have at LEAST 8 grand worth of tools to buy before I can say Im able to work on anything.... efficiently. As of now, I have the tools I need to get by.

I make an even 500 aweek. So I just spent two damn weeks of pay in one day. Shit just aint right I tell you. Anyone else out there that is a mechanic that effing hates buying tools? Im sure I am the only one working on shit where you need wrench's that go beyond 2 inch size and sockets in 1/4, 3/8. 1/2, 3/4, and finally, one inch sizes. Plus the damn impacts to power those. A Igersol Rand 3/4 impact is 600 dollars. Then you can add another 1000 just in 3/4 impact sockets. Shit just never ends. Never. I want some angle wrench's for all the damn hydraulic shit I work on... 700 bucks. for a damn set of angled wrench's. I could go on and on, sorry about the rant. I feel better now that im home away from my tool box with abeer.
    Yes I hate buying them and I hate losing them even more. But if u take care of them they should last you forever. Everybody when they are starting out buys a lot of tools, eventually you dont have to buy that much anymore. That hand impact screwdriver is like 80 bucks most and mine came with all the bits. I like mac tools, they are damn close to snap on and in some cases they are cheaper. the key is to buy tools from the big name vendors when they are on sale. Or try sears. i have a 3,400 dollar box (mac tech 1000) with stainless steel top, and about 8 grand worth of tools. i stll need more, i almost need a bigger box as i dont like putting a top box up and losing my work area.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    sprry man that sucks... shouldnt the company you work for pay for your tools?

at least tools last forever though and you can sell them if you need for close to what you paid for them
    haha should they? maybe. do they? no. the reason they dont is that the tools amount to thousands of dollars and lots of mechanics are a high turn around.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

what ever happened to Sears and Craftsman?? atleast if you break it, you can get a free replacement. i mean, are these wrenches so special, they can't be bought anywhere but through the company??

white/black
    2000 z28

hell a month ago I bought an ethos scanner for work an air ratches and another set of deep impact sockets 8-24 set all snappy, 2300 dollars late all in one day..... I probably (without the scanner) have 20k in in tools, box etc..probably more, and I still buy new stuff there is always something else that makes it easier/more efficient and therefore make more money since we can get it done quicker...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    what ever happened to Sears and Craftsman?? atleast if you break it, you can get a free replacement. i mean, are these wrenches so special, they can't be bought anywhere but through the company??
    for people that make their living, mac matco and snap on, you'll notice a difference. they tools have better feel, they dont round off things they are designed better etc. You get what you pay for. Plus you have the convenience of them coming to u when you break a tool. Also they make a lot of special tools that sears doesnt carry. Plus at least with me, you dont have to pay in full. U get an account and jus pay off around 20 bucks a week.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    for people that make their living, mac matco and snap on, you'll notice a difference. they tools have better feel, they dont round off things they are designed better etc. You get what you pay for. Plus you have the convenience of them coming to u when you break a tool. Also they make a lot of special tools that sears doesnt carry. Plus at least with me, you dont have to pay in full. U get an account and jus pay off around 20 bucks a week.
    when i was motor t, the snapon guy would come to the shop. but i never saw what the big deal was. my guys would spend tons on their shit.. i think i'll stick with craftsman..

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    haha should they? maybe. do they? no. the reason they dont is that the tools amount to thousands of dollars and lots of mechanics are a high turn around.
    yeah i know, but shouldnt his company supply him witha set of tools he can use when he is doing work for them??? it's not like they can't get them back if he quits or is released... that's like an accountant being asked to provide his own computer when he goes into work every day....

white/black
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    yeah i know, but shouldnt his company supply him witha set of tools he can use when he is doing work for them??? it's not like they can't get them back if he quits or is released... that's like an accountant being asked to provide his own computer when he goes into work every day....
    it just dosent work that way, all well almost all mechs buy their own shit, you go into the industry knowing that...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

The difference in these wrenchs are that...... They are FUCKING huge. You are not going to find a 1 13/16, wrench at any craftsman. Not to mention 2 inch and above. The wrench's they sell, are short. You are buying this inch and a half wrench to turn that sized nut/bolt. Not enough leverage. Craftsman does not sell huge umpact sockets. The ones they, are only 3/4 inch drive. And are a chrome socket, NOT a impact socket. Huge difference. The chrome will snap when you hammer on it for 2 or 3 mintues straight with a 3/4 inch impact. Not to mention the one inch impacts. Those fuckers are damn jack hammers in an impact gun. Even my half inch, ( 3125 IR titanium, bad mohter fucker for $330) will crack and some itmes granade those fuckers. That is not pretty. I havnt had a socket totally bust, just cracked. But I did have a wobble extensions grenade. I definately got hit with metal.

Otherwise, craftsman is great. The tool crib at work will replace all my shit I break while working on Cat eqiupment. Craftsman does not have alot of shit I need for Cat machinery. 16 millimeter for example. That is by farthe most common head at Cat. 5/8 will work usually, but not always.

Caterpillar gives you 2000 dollars to buy tools with. A tool Loan, at 0% interest. Pretty sweet.

True, I am young,. I totally expected to be buying thousands of dollars of tools for awhile. It just sucks while your doing it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Also, these 7 wrench's have so much more material to them. More metal or metal alloys's actually, hopefully a light metal. They are think as hell, and long. I will have to take a few pictures for you to understand and compare to your average garge tools/wrench's.

black
    00 camaross&02 trans am

put it this way it gets worse as time goes on and new machinery comes out my old man started at cat in peoria, IL before that factory went bankrupt then onto santa fe rr, then a few other companies and in over forty years of diesel and heavy machinery mechanics he has spent over 150k in tools and has 2 huge tool boxes full. The worst part is that since he retired he is trying to sell some stuff off and getting about 30 to 40 cents on the dollar on what those tools are worth.

I'm surprised you had to buy so many. I knew a guy that worked for CAT in Austin and the shop provided all tools larger than 1/2" drive and all specialty items like hydraulic wrenches. Even so, he probably had $10k in tools just to get that far which, I am told, is about right for a diesel mech. starting out.

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

im to lazy to work with tools....i like my office better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information