Artic white
    2001 Trans am

im in college and in need of some advise

well this is my first year in college so far i have completed one semester. i dont have a job right now, iwanted to get the feel for college first then look for a job. im a full time student and im studying to become an x-ray technican. it well take me 2 years to complete all of my prerequisites and another 2 years for the kaiser program. my problem is i dont want to labor my whole life i wanna get into a good career but as a young buck i have gotten myself into some debt about 2500 in debt, i wanna stay in school but i really need that money to pay the debt off and to support myself, dont really have time for a job that well be able to support me so someone told me to get a student loan. my girlfriends mom thinks its a bad idea becuase of the intreset rate and my credit is whooped so i would be paying that loan off for the rest of my life. but my mom is welling to co-sign and hopefully have a better rate, im thinking of getting a 20,000 dollar loan. these well be the answer to all my problems and i can keep my head in the books without stress. SO my question is if anyone knows what is a good place to get student loan? astrive? umm cant really think of any other ones thats why im here asking. your help is very greatly appreciated. thanks

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    well this is my first year in college so far i have completed one semester. i dont have a job right now, iwanted to get the feel for college first then look for a job. im a full time student and im studying to become an x-ray technican. it well take me 2 years to complete all of my prerequisites and another 2 years for the kaiser program. my problem is i dont want to labor my whole life i wanna get into a good career but as a young buck i have gotten myself into some debt about 2500 in debt, i wanna stay in school but i really need that money to pay the debt off and to support myself, dont really have time for a job that well be able to support me so someone told me to get a student loan. my girlfriends mom thinks its a bad idea becuase of the intreset rate and my credit is whooped so i would be paying that loan off for the rest of my life. but my mom is welling to co-sign and hopefully have a better rate, im thinking of getting a 20,000 dollar loan. these well be the answer to all my problems and i can keep my head in the books without stress. SO my question is if anyone knows what is a good place to get student loan? astrive? umm cant really think of any other ones thats why im here asking. your help is very greatly appreciated. thanks
    $2500? Thats it? Man I wish I was young again. Wait till you get a house, wife, credit cards, 2 or 3 car payments, student loan payments, and 2.3 kids. then come talk to me about debt. LOL!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

Your in college yet you don't know how to spell Advice* ..lol

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    $2500? Thats it? Man I wish I was young again. Wait till you get a house, wife, credit cards, 2 or 3 car payments, student loan payments, and 2.3 kids. then come talk to me about debt. LOL!!!
    +1...

hey, this may not be the advice you're looking for, look into the Air Force, or the Navy. they have X-ray technicians. maybe you can do something like the reserves. and you can get the training, do the job, and maybe you'll like it, or realize it sucks ass. plus you can get some cash for college, etc.. while you're in the process.

Again, Airforce, or Navy. keep yourself out of Iraq.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Don't get one of those delayed payment loans. My girlfriend was thinking about getting one, but looking into first, (she used Astrive because of the commercials) if she would've taken a $10,000 loan, she would have ended up paying $21,000 back. The best option for that sort of thing is to get a loan you parents can take out/co-sign for. That's what she did, her mom co-signed it and it was a much better rate than anything else. At the University of Georgia it's called a parent-plus loan I believe... I don't know if it differs from college to college but if you're college has one it's a much better option.

However... since you have much less debt than other people have... it's not worth taking a loan for in my opinion. College towns, especially anywhere on the actual campus, usually have loads of jobs and are generally pretty forgiving about students schedules/hours/etc. I think getting a part time job is the better choice... $2500 can be paid off in a few months.

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fccs View Post
    Be gentile on him there's no spell check on the internet j/k brotha

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

best advice is simply to shop around. go to local banks and see what they can offer, check out the internet for different loan institutions and for their rates. there is nothing that says that the first place that you look at is the one that you have to take.

i would think that the best rates that you will get are either going to be from a credit union or a student loan institution...not a bank.

Black
    1999 Trans am

astrive is a very bad place, stick with what the school offers, other wise it will spell bad news, kid i go to school with has astrive and he's getting surpise buttsecs

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

+1 brother on that

Artic white
    2001 Trans am

yea it might not be much for you but its hard for me cause thats just the debt part, i have to pay rent, pay my car, insurnace, it might not much but its kinda hard when you have 14 units to complete. i mean i guess i have to man up and handle my shit. i also thought a student loan would be nice to help if i ever needed to fall back on something and i have a lot of lab classes so books and lab fees and materials are a bitch to pay for out here. thanks for the advice though keep it coming

Black/Red
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Knighthawk LS1 View Post
    astrive is a very bad place, stick with what the school offers, other wise it will spell bad news, kid i go to school with has astrive and he's getting surpise buttsecs
    +1, complete a FAFSA and make an appointment with your financial aid office. Student loans are super easy to get and are generally considered "good debt" as it is an investment in your future and the interest is tax deductible. Based on the FAFSA you will hopefully qualify for a subsidized loan so you need not worry about accruing interest until you graduate (or drop out).

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by whiteLS1TA View Post
    yea it might not be much for you but its hard for me cause thats just the debt part, i have to pay rent, pay my car, insurnace, it might not much but its kinda hard when you have 14 units to complete. i mean i guess i have to man up and handle my shit. i also thought a student loan would be nice to help if i ever needed to fall back on something and i have a lot of lab classes so books and lab fees and materials are a bitch to pay for out here. thanks for the advice though keep it coming
    I totally understand your position. It sucks. I've got 1300 on a card that's got no interest 'til October, so I'm lucky there. I know it's not much to other people, but that shit's hard to pay off when you have no job, and are studying your ass off. Cause even though you have NO money coming in, you still gotta make those payments.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

kid, i had three jobs while taking MORE then a full time scheduel *i was enrolled in 15 credits* so i dont really understand the whole college kid who wants to "focus on his studies" because i achieved a 3.85gpa with 3 jobs and supporting myself... BUT i also realized to try and make that kiinda money in the time u need for tuition is impossible... so if u have a co-signer then id get the loan, go through the fed government they have a plus loan program that will give u the lowest rate, if you go through a private lender ure deff. going to be paying a higher rate... just my two cents. and ps- dont let the debt get you down, stay in school until ure done and do whatever it takes *loans,grants,jobs* to stay in school until ure done.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Im in my first semester too, 14 credit hours cars paid for but i pay all school costs insurance taxes doin ok in school no financial aid and working 2 nights a week and doing odd jobs for my parents on the weekends. oh and if you can get outta the dorms do it, its costin me $4000 a semester im buying a fifth wheel and living in that.

I say dont get a loan get a part time job, minimim wage is better than nothin

insert witty title here Blk00ws6's Avatar

Black
    2000 WS6

Wish I had some advice. What caught my eye was your major. I'm in Radiation Technology as well at the University of Cincinnati. I'm commuting so that's saving me some, but I've got the GI Bill paying my way. No experience with loans or things of that nature. If you haven't done so, check with your financial aid office and apply for the FAFSA

Silver
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by fccs View Post
    You want to bust his ass over spelling?

Just so you know, It's "You're"...not "your".

Irony at it's best.
    2002 WS6 aka "Mr.Brownstone"

My car is my heroin

back 'n better than ever Kjz99z28's Avatar

White/Black
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    kid, i had three jobs while taking MORE then a full time scheduel *i was enrolled in 15 credits* so i dont really understand the whole college kid who wants to "focus on his studies" because i achieved a 3.85gpa with 3 jobs and supporting myself... BUT i also realized to try and make that kiinda money in the time u need for tuition is impossible... so if u have a co-signer then id get the loan, go through the fed government they have a plus loan program that will give u the lowest rate, if you go through a private lender ure deff. going to be paying a higher rate... just my two cents. and ps- dont let the debt get you down, stay in school until ure done and do whatever it takes *loans,grants,jobs* to stay in school until ure done.
    Well not all majors give you the time to have jobs and still maintain a great GPA. It's possible to work through college with these degrees, yes, but you don't always end up getting the best grades.

Right now I'm taking 14 hours as an architecture major. Not trying to say one major is better or harder or whatever, but I do know that this is more time consuming than some others. I spend so much time in studio that it's like having a job while taking school, only you don't get paid for it, and it's only for a 4 credit hour class. It sucks, but that along with all the other homework, and then trying to have a job would be impossible. Sucks, cause then you're broke the entire time too.

Yeah, some people have done it, but my god, I can't imagine what that would be like.

I'd just look around for the best rates available for a loan.

Black
    2005 GTO

I say go ahead and get the loan. I would still get a part time job to pay for your odd and ends like food, gas, having fun stuff ect but use the loan for tuition, room and board, books. I know around here alot of jobs in the medical field will pay back your college loans if you work for them for X number of years. That is definetly something to look at when you do finish and get into your carreer.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Kjz99z28 View Post
    Well not all majors give you the time to have jobs and still maintain a great GPA. It's possible to work through college with these degrees, yes, but you don't always end up getting the best grades.

Right now I'm taking 14 hours as an architecture major. Not trying to say one major is better or harder or whatever, but I do know that this is more time consuming than some others. I spend so much time in studio that it's like having a job while taking school, only you don't get paid for it, and it's only for a 4 credit hour class. It sucks, but that along with all the other homework, and then trying to have a job would be impossible. Sucks, cause then you're broke the entire time too.

Yeah, some people have done it, but my god, I can't imagine what that would be like.

I'd just look around for the best rates available for a loan.

yea im not about to argue if one major is better/more time consuming then another. As an education major minoring in english and spanish i was still able to work my ass off, but the cirriculum came so easy to me that it might just be me, BUT i also think that if you have no one helping you pay for school...and ure on your own for everything..books..tuition... shoes so your ass can walk to and from class, you have the drive (and u find the time) to be able to keep a high gpa and work multiple jobs.

good luck to yall who are trying to achieve higher education

Thread Information