Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Question I think blacks should be more appreciative.....

Was discussing this with someone the other day who is a pro black activists and he was saying he did not appreciate anything any white person has done for him or his race, and i was like wow................ he got pissed when I disagreed with his viewpoint. That later got me to thinking about a lot of things and I am starting to have a change of heart on somethings after considering:
    First, America has been one of the best country's on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known. Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans… I always hear the grievances. But there should be a lot more gratitude. IMHO. Racism does still exist and I encounter it now and then but i still cannot ignore the facts.

What's your take on the this..........

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think African American is the correct term

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You sir are correct........

Impounded
    gmcheviac

There will always be racists. Period. I could get into a debate about BHO being one, but that's for another section. Richard Pryor said (making a joke yet serious) that slavery was the best thing that ever happened to blacks after going to Africa. Slavery was terrible, but he meant that they had the oppurtunity to go to America of course. Their greatgreatgreatgreat grand children are able to experience this country in the way they should have from the beginning.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

What are people of African decent called in other countries? Sure as hell isn't "African American".

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    What are people of African decent called in other countries? Sure as hell isn't "African American".
    He is obviously speaking about people he interacts with and he lives in Detroit.

I don't know of any other country where Africans migrated to that divulged into a population of nearly 39,000,000 other than America, where they are called African American. Do you?

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (5 members and 0 guests)
    Murder after Midnight, 67CamaroRSSS, grouch0jr, SeVeReDiStOrTiOn, toityme

damn........

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I find flaw in the guys point from the get go. Its a weird perspective to say "i dont appreciate what the white man has done for me". Well people need to do for themselves. I wonder if he subconciously means being black and being in america. Because obviously theres a difference between being black in america and black in africa where parts of africa have tribes of people that have cultures that havent changes in thousands of years. As far as being black in america, as a black man would you rather live anywhere else? Thats something to ponder. Being appreciative about the "white man" has done for you kinda conotates that he feels the white man has held him back. If he wasnt racist himself, he would realize that were equal. Make your own fate.

Another thing to look at though is that theres a lot of opportunity for african americans to make a very good living in white ran/owned companies. Sports, music, broadcasting all the offices, ceo's, owners are MOSTLY caucasian. These business employ lots of african americans. So theres lots of opportunity. How many black millionaires are there in africa? just food for thought

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post
    Was discussing this with someone the other day who is a pro black activists and he was saying he did not appreciate anything any white person has done for him or his race, and i was like wow................ he got pissed when I disagreed with his viewpoint. That later got me to thinking about a lot of things and I am starting to have a change of heart on somethings after considering:
    First, America has been one of the best country's on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known. Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans… I always hear the grievances. But there should be a lot more gratitude. IMHO. Racism does still exist and I encounter it now and then but i still cannot ignore the facts.

I agree with ya, and its sad that racism, caucasian vs. african american AND vice versa still exists today

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I swear I just read that in an email

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I agree with ya, and its sad that racism, caucasian vs. african american AND vice versa still exists today

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Murder after Midnight View Post

Thank God SOMEBODY understands! I've been saying this for decades (that African-Americans have it better in America than anywhere else) and have been put down by most (all races) for not knowing what I was saying cuz I'm lilly white, i.e., "You wouldn't understand as it's a 'Black' thing..." I always pointed this out when I heard "The white man is keeping us down" and other not so nice phrases.

Even when I would point out how bad the situation is in Africa (tribal warfare, ethnic genocide, misuse of resources, etc) I was shunted aside and ignored to the point where I stopped saying anything to anybody about it.

FYI: I grew up (way poor - we were white and on welfare) in Gardena, Ca, a suburb of Los Angeles and went to the largest HS in the LA City School system (GHS). There was (and is) a great variety of cultures (Gardena had the largest Japanese population in the states) in that area and at that school.

Ok, rant over.

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    I find flaw in the guys point from the get go. Its a weird perspective to say "i dont appreciate what the white man has done for me". Well people need to do for themselves. I wonder if he subconciously means being black and being in america. Because obviously theres a difference between being black in america and black in africa where parts of africa have tribes of people that have cultures that havent changes in thousands of years. As far as being black in america, as a black man would you rather live anywhere else? Thats something to ponder. Being appreciative about the "white man" has done for you kinda conotates that he feels the white man has held him back. If he wasnt racist himself, he would realize that were equal. Make your own fate.

Another thing to look at though is that theres a lot of opportunity for african americans to make a very good living in white ran/owned companies. Sports, music, broadcasting all the offices, ceo's, owners are MOSTLY caucasian. These business employ lots of african americans. So theres lots of opportunity. How many black millionaires are there in africa? just food for thought
    your black

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

plus ya'll are banging white women in record numbers lately LMAO J/k j/k j/k

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I dunno, IMHO I think it's better to think that WE as Americans have come a long way since the time of slavery. I'm not sure there should be gratitude given to anyone for just doing the right thing. We are ALL human beings here, and helping folks is a good thing as long as it is truely help and not a continued hand out. Too often "free rides" contribute to people staying right where they are. Many black folks have been helped by white folks, and many white folks have been helped by black folks. I look @ it as just folks helping folks. Giving credit where credit is due is just fine, but WE are ALL in this together in the long run. I do'nt care if my brother, buddy, neighbor, is a person of color. We all bleed red, and die from the same stuff that kills everyone of any desendance.. I've had many a beer and wine with my buddy next door. We've given eachother a hand many times. Do'nt really care that he's a black man, he's a good hard workin' family man, and I'm proud to call him my friend. He do'nt owe me nuthin'...
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-07-2009 at 07:47 PM.

Onyx Black
    2002 SLP Camaro SS

........ and he lives in Detroit.
    I don't know if I would call that living...............................

01 modded gtp

Tell him to go back to africa if he hates whites

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    plus ya'll are banging white women in record numbers lately LMAO J/k j/k j/k
    Come on stanger you know how i get down lol!

Black/Red/Black/Red
    98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Quote Originally Posted by fxgs View Post
    I don't know if I would call that living...............................

huh?

Black
    99 Z28

In before this gets locked.

I disagree, I think "black" really is the better term. They're not African American (in most cases). They were born in America. That would make the AMERICAN. Simply American. I'm white and I've never expected anyone to call me European American. I'm not. This is where I was born.

My wife was born in Korea. She is a naturalized American. When she was adopted - by her American family - they took the required steps to ensure that she would be treated as an American. She's American, not Korean American. As a description, many people would call her "asian" but that is just another description. Like black, blonde, tall, short, white, fat, skinny, brunette or anything else for that matter. It's a DESCRIPTIVE term. We're not to the point of having everyone be Marklar (look it up), so for now, we're just going to have to keep using some sort of description to know who is who. I'm short, I have dark brown hair, I'm also really thin, if you look closely, you'd seem that I'm actually "lame" (like one leg short - lame) and oh yeah... I'm also white. I work with a guy that sits right next to me. He's kinda short like me, but a little taller, he's got black hair and brown eyes and oh yeah... he's black. So if across the room, someone said go give this to that short guy over there, that wouldn't help. Go give it to the white guy, or the black guy depending on who it was to go to - that would be a pretty clear fucking statement, then what's the big fucking deal. It a color.

As for the OP and the appreciation that's something else entirely for me. When people bring up BS about reparations needing to be paid to them... I say "fuck that". Anyone that feels entitled to it can leave. Perhaps, as reparations, we could even fit the bill? They can go back to where they would be if their ancestors had not been brought over (by whatever means that might have been). Do I think what they did was right? Fuck no. It's in the past though. If we're ever gonna move forward as a society, we're gonna have to just all "get" that that is in the past. Nothing can be done to change it. No apologies will make it go away. It's done. Kaput. Over. Here and now is where we start. If you're not able to move forward, leave. We won't hold you back.

I don't think there's any sort of appreciation that anyone should be giving anyone else. It would be kinda nice if all Americans could just be American and we could all just get along. Maybe even go to a time when we'd actually live in a way that was to ask not what the country can do for you, but what can we do for our country. If we all could live that way, we wouldn't have to worry about how healthcare works. It would already have worked itself out.

[/rant]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information