Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i saw an LT1 Camaro with a Sunroof

Last night. Were sunroofs available on 4th gens?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

+1 to aftermarket, i imagine it looked gay as hell too

green
    95 firebird

What a bad choice. Isn't a large part of 4th gen body integrity due to the center part of the roof (where the T-bar is on t-tops)? I hope he reinforced that bad boy.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I've seen a couple that people h ave done around here. looks like shit. cut out that beam and you're an idiot anyways. I dunno how they make the headliner look good, never seen inside of one. I imagine it would look funny with the hump we have in the headliner

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

has any one seen a targa top ?

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    Yes, there was a silver v-6 Camaro at G10 with a Targa top...

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Targa top is a TON of money for custom pieces, just so that you get an extra 8 inches of open space and a HUGE panel to deal with when you take it off.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Seriously? I've really been considering that for my 3rd gen bird.. its a hard top... and was wondering if the top could be cut off and modified to be removable... obviously I know there is a lot of reinforcening needed.. but I hate the T-bar... but hate not having a removable top more. What kind of $$ do you think we're talking here? Can't be much different than the vette... granted when you bolt it in the trunk.. there is practically no trunk left, but is it that much different?
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Your top is 47 inches wide, it won't fit in the hatch, either in the hole or on the deck. You can get it in the back seat, but it won't sit down all the way because it won't fit between the side panels where they come out to form armrests for the back passengers. That means the only option is to take it off at home and leave it.

That's all fine and dandy talking about a 4th gen, you said 3rd gen, so everything I just typed was worthless. You should measure though.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    What a bad choice. Isn't a large part of 4th gen body integrity due to the center part of the roof (where the T-bar is on t-tops)? I hope he reinforced that bad boy.
    hell no if you take the headliner out of a hard top all it is is one big piece of sheet metal no structure or supports.. the support is the frame that runs over the windows and attaches to the front window and the sail panel..

IF a guy bought a hard top and wanted a sunroof id be doing the same damn thing .. they look good if done right .. any good modification shop can put one in

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    Your top is 47 inches wide, it won't fit in the hatch, either in the hole or on the deck. You can get it in the back seat, but it won't sit down all the way because it won't fit between the side panels where they come out to form armrests for the back passengers. That means the only option is to take it off at home and leave it.

That's all fine and dandy talking about a 4th gen, you said 3rd gen, so everything I just typed was worthless. You should measure though.
    what is the hight tho?

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    I forget what the name of the tv show was but it was back in the 80s.. it was 82-88 model z28...orange with some yellow if i remember correctly .. full targa top like the vettes have .. but I cant remember the name of the show to pull up some pics.. it was a fairly popular show.. had two brothers who were detectives or pi's..

haha it bugged me so much that I did some searching and it was an 82 camaro .. Simon & Simon was the tv show and here is a pic of what it looked like

I searched long and hard and couldnt find a pic of the car but this is a pic of it on the model box
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

A friend of mine had a 84 Z28 with dual flip ups. I thought it was kinda corney looking.

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr View Post
    Click for full size

I searched long and hard and couldnt find a pic of the car but this is a pic of it on the model box
    Well.. there is a little pic of the car on the box.. so people can get the idea... but that was a tv car.. so who knows what they had to do to get it to work... such as the Ferrrari 308 that Magnum PI drove where he could slide the targa top back into no-where and have it disappear. For quite sometime I thought it slid into the rear of the car until I saw one in person and found it to be movie magic.. <sigh> But definately gonna have to measure the top and the trunk.... just don't think the top was much different size wise than the 80s/90s vettes.

And by the way, S&S was an awesome show,

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    A friend of mine had a 84 Z28 with dual flip ups. I thought it was kinda corney looking.
    What do you mean by dual flip-ups?

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

If you have a hard top and cut it to make a sunroof theres no issues and you dont have the middle support to cut that you would have if you have t-tops.. but if you had t-tops most wouldnt want a targa top so thats pointless to talk about...

hard tops have more than an 8 inch area if you wanted to make a true targa top out of the middle strip to be removed so I dont know what youre measuring

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Seriously? I've really been considering that for my 3rd gen bird.. its a hard top... and was wondering if the top could be cut off and modified to be removable... obviously I know there is a lot of reinforcening needed.. but I hate the T-bar... but hate not having a removable top more. What kind of $$ do you think we're talking here? Can't be much different than the vette... granted when you bolt it in the trunk.. there is practically no trunk left, but is it that much different?
    if you want to take a hard top to a targa .. then you should just be able to cut it at the same points where t-top versions are cut.. find a wrecked t-top version and get the ends off of them.. that have the handle and slide locking mechanisms and add it to the roof that you cut off with some welding.. and modifying.. change up the pieces to the front window where the locks slide in and the back sail panel where the other slide goes into and get some weather stripping .. look at the tops of a newer model supra .. take from that .. it can be done and I think it wouldnt take alot of money .. just some enginuity and some patience with a little trial and error

and here is an f-body with the sunroof that looks fine to me

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

hell no if you take the headliner out of a hard top all it is is one big piece of sheet metal no structure or supports.. the support is the frame that runs over the windows and attaches to the front window and the sail panel..

IF a guy bought a hard top and wanted a sunroof id be doing the same damn thing .. they look good if done right .. any good modification shop can put one in
    You're wrong, I've done t-top conversions man, it's simple because the center support is there and already set up for the t-tops, the channel for the weatherstripping and everything. Even the holes for the center bar that goes between the tops are there. It is the exact same body hardtop or t-top, only with solid side beams. Cut those out and the holes for the t-top latches are already there too.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    What do you mean by dual flip-ups?
    A small sunroof over the driver side and another one over the passenger side. They have a small space where the T-top support runs.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    You're wrong, I've done t-top conversions man, it's simple because the center support is there and already set up for the t-tops, the channel for the weatherstripping and everything. Even the holes for the center bar that goes between the tops are there. It is the exact same body hardtop or t-top, only with solid side beams. Cut those out and the holes for the t-top latches are already there too.
    Bullshit the entire roof is different in a hard top in comparison to t-top versions. Why do you think you have the hump going down the center in t-top versions but magically there is none in the hard top only a huge flat headliner with the center light, even with the older 82-92 body style same thing goes. they just had the accessory map lights and pockets and all that ran down the center .. in the hard top version it only had the one lonely light sitting in the middle of the two front seats right behind the head.

They do not build every hard top car as if youre going to convert it to t-tops .. thats ridiculous to even say.

I dont know what t-top conversions youve done but Ive seen the bare roofs of both models hard top and t-top .. and watched a sunroof get put into a hard top 89 IROC the roof structure is totally different between the two

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Bullshit the entire roof is different in a hard top in comparison to t-top versions. Why do you think you have the hump going down the center in t-top versions but magically there is none in the hard top only a huge flat headliner with the center light, even with the older 82-92 body style same thing goes. they just had the accessory map lights and pockets and all that ran down the center .. in the hard top version it only had the one lonely light sitting in the middle of the two front seats right behind the head.

They do not build every hard top car as if youre going to convert it to t-tops .. thats ridiculous to even say.

I dont know what t-top conversions youve done but Ive seen the bare roofs of both models hard top and t-top .. and watched a sunroof get put into a hard top 89 IROC the roof structure is totally different between the two
    maybe third gens are different but 4th gens all have the center support and a hump in the headliner, period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information