Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I need some peptalk

Ok....heres my story, ive been strictly import since i was 11...im 18 now and this is the 1st time ive ever even came close to buyin a domestic....i need to know, will I like it? anyone else been through the same situation im goin through? The z28 im lookin at has 97.5k miles and in imports thats not alot.....but ive always has the thought that domestics cant come close to touching japanese cars reliability....am i wrong here?

Impulse Blue Matallic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by StatixNWH
    Ok....heres my story, ive been strictly import since i was 11...im 18 now and this is the 1st time ive ever even came close to buyin a domestic....i need to know, will I like it? anyone else been through the same situation im goin through? The z28 im lookin at has 97.5k miles and in imports thats not alot.....but ive always has the thought that domestics cant come close to touching japanese cars reliability....am i wrong here?
    The reliability issue is generally a rumor. The drivetrain of most domestics like the LS series of cars are mega-reliable. My friend just sold his 1999 Z28 with 277K miles. The car was flawless. BUild quality is not always on par with some of the imports, but where the domestics fall short, they jump ahead in the performance category. Just think that you will generally spend thousands of dollars modding an import just to get to the same performance level as a stock F body. ANd the mewer cars return fuel economy that is approaching 4cyl import levels. My last trip in my GTO from L.A. to Vegas returned over 28mpg at 80mph.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

You've been "import" 5 years before you could drive?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Take the car for a drive, wind out 2nd and 3rd gear-i think that'll convince you.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

i agree..test drive it and see for yourself.

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    Nothing can beat an f-body.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox28
    You've been "import" 5 years before you could drive?
    that was my first thought too...

theres no way we can tell you if you're going to "like it." Thats a decision you have to make. I've had both in my life and the imports do seem to be much better made with closer tolerances and better quality both in materials and workmanship.

But if you're a torque freak like me, theres not much out there than can touch a good old American-made V8. In the end, it's YOUR decision.

no....ive just been studying and learning about Imports since i was 11.....then when 16 came along, you know what i got.....3 imports ina row
    93 300zx NA--Stock(sold)
    92 MR2T--17in Wheels-bodykit-TRD Short Shift-Apexi Intake & Exhaust-TwosRus MBC-Apillar Guages(wrecked)
    90 300zx TT--17in Konig's-HKS Intake-Unorthodox UD Pully-AMZ DP's-Brembo Front Rotors-Rebuilt Engine(sold)

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

The z28 im lookin at has 97.5k miles and in imports thats not alot.....but ive always has the thought that domestics cant come close to touching japanese cars reliability
    Dodge dropped mitisibishi because they were pieces of shit.

Honda's and toyotas are said to have better reliability, but i don't know how true it is. 99% of what you hear is bullshit. Consumer Reports is a big source of that bullshit. They made the mistake quite a few years ago saying the Geo Prism was a piece of shit while the Toyota Corrola is a perfect work of art. They also gave the Chevy tracker "ok-nothing special" ratings while the sucked the dick of the suzuki version of it calling it a "best buy!"

I haven't read consumer reports for about 5 years now so i don't know if they are still like that, but i know they were the most biased car report you get read about 6-10 years ago.

Another source of the bullshit is recall shit. Toyota just recalled a million cars for steering wheels falling off (something like that) and i never heard that on the news. When GM recalls a million cars their are DateLine specials in primetime about it and it's on the front page of newspapers for weeks.

When it comes down to it, no car built in the last 15 years that is taken care of is going to just blow it's engine or trans. There may be something small like a window motor going out but you can probably swap anything on an american car out two or three times for the price it takes to do it once on a jap car.
    Last edited by CaptainCaveMan; 06-08-2006 at 02:58 PM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

how many moms do you know take their honda civic for a hard autoX before pickin' up the kids...that's where the notion of "imports are built better" came from..you just don't do that with a family car, you abuse a performance car b/c it's built to take it.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb
    The reliability issue is generally a rumor. The drivetrain of most domestics like the LS series of cars are mega-reliable. My friend just sold his 1999 Z28 with 277K miles. The car was flawless. BUild quality is not always on par with some of the imports, but where the domestics fall short, they jump ahead in the performance category. Just think that you will generally spend thousands of dollars modding an import just to get to the same performance level as a stock F body. ANd the mewer cars return fuel economy that is approaching 4cyl import levels. My last trip in my GTO from L.A. to Vegas returned over 28mpg at 80mph.

I agree with jacob on everything except I think the domestic body styles last longer than imports.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

one thing people never talk about is how much easier japanese cars rust out. japanese cars might have pretty stout engine and drivelines and good build quality but does anyone know how cheap japanese steel is? its all recycled steel from american cars out of junkyards, they buy it from us and melt it down. ever notice jap cars that are like 10 yrs old but have rust in the fender etc? thats something that doesnt get talked about. on a performance aspect an fbody is gonna more then satisfy this kid. hes used to jap cars. the torque will blow u away. when u get loose in 1st 2nd and 3rd ull be addicted. that is if you dont slam into anything.

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

Larger displacement, more torque. Nothing like it. Torque gets you there, horsepower keeps you there. You'll love it.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

There is nothing wrong with imported vehicles but if you actually want to make some power there is little substitute for displacement. I have been a a lot of imported cars over the past couple of years as my wife is a Toyota salesperson and I have a lot of respect for the quality of many of the vehicles. However the performance is basically non existant and I can't help but simply chuckle at the fart cans and claims of hp...

Spend a day at the drag strip and just watch what usually happens.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

DisCrete
    Listen bro. Imports have solid engines I'll give them that.

However, it's people who are not open minded... unlike you... who realize that... some non imports.. have just as much of a life time as imports... if one knows how to take care of them.

I suspect if that Z28 is well cared for, is only about 1/3 of the way through it's life.

My Impala SS has 170,000 miles on it right now.. and it runs better than some newer cars as it is. But, I put the work into fixing it that whoever sold it did not do. Now I get 24mpg, 350 LT1, on a 4200lbs car... Fastest I've gone was 145mph, and I let off the gas... while my car is not fast compared to most on here... or even a stock Z, or T/A... I can definately keep them from pulling on me at high speed.

Most of the chevy caprice line are known for lasting 300,000 miles. And could take a beating like no other... Hence why the police used them... alot of people would not think a 9c1 caprice can run up to 170mph.. but it can. They were to expensive supposedly... now talk to any cop.. and ask them which they prefer... the crown vic, the new impala (not the SS) or the caprice... I think u will find most if not all will agree the caprice and 96 impala's were far superior compared to the vics or newer impalas. Notice the "fast" cop cars are mustangs and Z-28's, or even corvettes... simple the vics and newer impalas are dogs... and can not keep up in a high speed chase.

I would assume under good care. a Z28, T/A would last just as long.

350's are work horse engines they are designed for abuse.

but with a little more pep than some or most imports. and far better mod boost $ for $ when compared to an import.

You throw twin turbo's on an import it smokes... you throw twin turbos on a 350, you just lit a firecracker in it's ass. And, I won't even talk about a 400CI.
    Last edited by DisCrete; 06-09-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Impounded

silver
    02 modified z28

Quote Originally Posted by DisCrete View Post
    Listen bro. Imports have solid engines I'll give them that.

However, it's people who are not open minded... unlike you... who realize that... some non imports.. have just as much of a life time as imports... if one knows how to take care of them.

I suspect if that Z28 is well cared for, is only about 1/3 of the way through it's life.

My Impala SS has 170,000 miles on it right now.. and it runs better than some newer cars as it is. But, I put the work into fixing it that whoever sold it did not do. Now I get 24mpg, 350 LT1, on a 4200lbs car... Fastest I've gone was 145mph, and I let off the gas... while my car is not fast compared to most on here... or even a stock Z, or T/A... I can definately keep them from pulling on me at high speed.

Most of the chevy caprice line are known for lasting 300,000 miles. And could take a beating like no other... Hence why the police used them... alot of people would not think a 9c1 caprice can run up to 170mph.. but it can. They were to expensive supposedly... now talk to any cop.. and ask them which they prefer... the crown vic, the new impala (not the SS) or the caprice... I think u will find most if not all will agree the caprice and 96 impala's were far superior compared to the vics or newer impalas. Notice the "fast" cop cars are mustangs and Z-28's, or even corvettes... simple the vics and newer impalas are dogs... and can not keep up in a high speed chase.

I would assume under good care. a Z28, T/A would last just as long.

350's are work horse engines they are designed for abuse.

but with a little more pep than some or most imports. and far better mod boost $ for $ when compared to an import.

You throw twin turbo's on an import it smokes... you throw twin turbos on a 350, you just lit a firecracker in it's ass. And, I won't even talk about a 400CI.

Agreed!!!

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

I have had numerous cars over the years, including imports, which I have now also. My TA is faster and more reliable than all the muscle cars I've owned over the years. It still gets 25 MPG and is faster than 95% of the cars on the road. My Son and his friends are all rice, but they know better than to fuck with my car, I let one of them drive it once, figuring he would tell the rest about it, well halfway thru the drive he was actually shaking, I told him to beat on it, but I think he was afraid of it. You will never go back, you'll see

Be prepared to take a raping at the pump. You will have to buy the highest at the pump or get ready for the a bumpy ride home.

KOMATOS3
    Reliabilty??? an issue, it was not uncommon while working at good year for fords and chevys to come in with 200-250K miles. Ive known a couple Chevy and Ford Trucks to come in with 300K with the original motor.

meanZ97
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrus View Post
    Be prepared to take a raping at the pump. You will have to buy the highest at the pump or get ready for the a bumpy ride home.
    i run 89 in my 97 Z and it runs just fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information