Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I Need Some Ingenuity

I have a go cart that I made in shop class a couple years ago in great shape, I bet I havent even put 20 minutes ride time on it. It has a 5hp techumseh motor that has maybe 10 hours on it that just won't run right we cant figure out what the deal is with it. I also have a late 80's yamaha moto4 220cc or 250cc four wheeler that runs great but has a bent rear axle so its a bitch to ride. I want to take the motor off the moto 4 and put on the gocart, but the moto4 is shaft drive, does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done?

the four wheeler is a clutchless manual so im wondering if i cant just machine the shaft to fit a sprocket then onto the chain that is already on the cart.

I will try to get pics of both this weekend.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

its can definitely be done. I'm finishing up my degree and currently we are taking a 600cc honda engine and converting from a chain drive to a driveshaft. Its for our design project as seniors. We are still working out the details but if I think of anything that would help you I'll post. I would ask around some machine shops and see what kind of ideas come up.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

that sounds pretty cool. thanks

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

bump

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P. View Post
    I have a go cart that I made in shop class a couple years ago in great shape, I bet I havent even put 20 minutes ride time on it. It has a 5hp techumseh motor that has maybe 10 hours on it that just won't run right we cant figure out what the deal is with it. I also have a late 80's yamaha moto4 220cc or 250cc four wheeler that runs great but has a bent rear axle so its a bitch to ride. I want to take the motor off the moto 4 and put on the gocart, but the moto4 is shaft drive, does anyone have any ideas on how this can be done?

the four wheeler is a clutchless manual so im wondering if i cant just machine the shaft to fit a sprocket then onto the chain that is already on the cart.

I will try to get pics of both this weekend.
    i dont know that you can do this without a lot of work dude. try and get a cr or yz engine if you are gonna run this around on pavement or a sport quad engine with chain drive if you use it to go off road. i think the shaft drive/chaindrive difference is in the case of that trans. to convert it you probably have to split the case. thats not easy.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

shit, maybe I can fin an old dirt bike somewhere, never the less I'll post up pics of the cart when i get a chance.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P. View Post
    shit, maybe I can fin an old dirt bike somewhere, never the less I'll post up pics of the cart when i get a chance.
    honestly bro, for the amount of work it would take, i think you could really cost effectively find a dirtbike/quad engine thats chain driven. heck with even more power.

Thread Information