Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans AM

I have a serious question. Mods please dont delete.

I will say I know this person that curently has an AK-47. He made a stupid and idiotic mistake of purchasing it years ago. Now he had finally came to senses and he want so get rid of it. NO, he wont sell it on the street. We both know that AK-47s are highly illigal and have a hefty prison time if caugh with it.

He is willing to surrender it to the authorities, but he is scared that they might arrest and prosecute him. The reason he asked me because my GF is a cop, but she has no clue what to do in this situation. She is still a rookie.

I told him to take it apart and slowly day by day despose it. This way all the parts will be seperated and desposed. No one will able to put it back together.

Do u guys have any idea what else he can do? Can he really surrender it with out getting in trouble? The Rifle was never been use in any crime while in his possesion nor was it Fired. I am pretty sure it was use before he got it, because I dont think you can purchase a brand new AK47.

Thanks.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Im not sure about this but I know gun laws differ state to state.. I know you cant have a fully automatic weapon unless you have a specific license from the govt. I know for a fact if you surrendered the gun to the police nothing would be done to him. I mean unless the run balistics and it comes back with bodies on it haha.

But he could simply leave it outside a police station and then just go to a pay phone nearby and call the non emergency number and tell them where it is. Theres alot of ways he could turn it in. It doesnt have to be dismantled. But before you go trashing it Id check on the gun laws to see if he can just keep it. Go to your local gun store or shooting gallery their usually up on all of the current laws in your area and hell they might even take it for you. Good Luck
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

Door-To-Door Pipelayer DJ Red Barron's Avatar

86 Buick GNx - Black
    08 Jeep GC SRT8 - SBM

Since when are AK's illegal to have? The assault rifle ban was lifted some time ago IIRC.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

He could get the parts needed to eliminate the full auto I would think.
    Call a gunsmith and find out what it would take.

Yeah, leave it outside the police station so some lowlife can pick it up, THAT sounds like a solution!

Sebring Silver
    98 Z-28 camaro

AK's aren't illegal, if it's fully auto then swap out the parts to convert it back to semi. I would keep it if I was him, hell, I've got two at the house that I bought from the gun show here in Knoxville.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Most deff check the laws there. They are legal here if they are not full auto. Nothing else sell it on ebay!

Black
    99 SS

yup, i think it is legal if you get your license, but if you make it semi-auto its perfectly legal, i have one my self, looking to convert it to full auto

Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I know a guy here that I worked with who had an AK. He also got caught with it is his trunk while coming on fort hood and only got a slap on the wrist for having a gun that was registered with fort hood and having rounds in the case.
    Alright... I'm starting it now. Try not to piss yourself.

Arctic White
    2000 TransAm

First of all, it sounds like you've been brainwashed by our lefty news media. I'm not sure of the laws in NY, so check into it. Is the weapon fully auto ? if so, then you need a class 3 license to own it. It might be a good idea to go to a local gun store and ask some questions.

Black
    99 Z28

Go ask questions about it. That's an item which will be worth a lot of money, if not a lot now, it will be at one time. Thousands at some point I'm sure. I would say that he needs to ask some questions at a gun shop about it and see if it is legal to own it, if it's not there, it might be legal in another state and someone could buy it from him.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

If it's a class III weapon, it will remain so no matter what he does to it. If he makes is simi-auto only, the reciever will always be class III which is illegal without an ATF Form 4. ANY class III weapon is illegal to own if it was manufactured after 1986. Those may only be purchased with as a Post 86 Dealer Sample from a Class II or III dealer. If it's just some piece of shit simi-auto AK-47 look alike, then no worries.Worst case, just throw it into a river.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Most deff check the laws there. They are legal here if they are not full auto. Nothing else sell it on ebay!
    Ebay doesn't allow the selling of firearms on it's online auctions. gun parts yes, fully assembled and operable guns, NO.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

He needs to find a reputable gun dealer in the area and discuss the rifle with them. Determine if it is full-auto (if the receiver is such, it will always require the proper licensing/tax stamp to possess, even if made semi-auto only). See if the rifle is otherwise legal to own in your state/area. AK47 is sort of a generic term and could mean a number of "knock off" makes and semi-autos, that's why people are making comments about "AK47". Most of these are Chinese made, not original Kalashnikovs.

Most larger cities have police departments that allow "turn-in" days. Basically, you can turn in ANY weapon with no questions asked. Find out if they do that in your area. Under no circumstances should you sell it. That's a big no-no without an FFL.

If the rifle worries him/you, get rid of it by turning it in. The gun dealers or police department should be able to help you with that.
    Last edited by jad628; 07-26-2006 at 09:53 AM.

Black
    99 SS

just keep it, dont commit any crimes with it

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    He needs to find a reputable gun dealer in the area and discuss the rifle with them. Determine if it is full-auto (if the receiver is such, it will always require the proper licensing/tax stamp to possess, even if made semi-auto only). See if the rifle is otherwise legal to own in your state/area. AK47 is sort of a generic term and could mean a number of "knock off" makes and semi-autos, that's why people are making comments about "AK47". Most of these are Chinese made, not original Kalashnikovs.

Most larger cities have police departments that allow "turn-in" days. Basically, you can turn in ANY weapon with no questions asked. Find out if they do that in your area. Under no circumstances should you sell it. That's a big no-no without an FFL.

If the rifle worries him/you, get rid of it by turning it in. The gun dealers or police department should be able to help you with that.
    holy hell we agreed haha but like I originally said I wouldnt just get rid of this without doing some investigating .. thats like giving away free money

black
    98 WS6

If he saved a receipt, he could try to give it back. There will probably be a 15% restocking fee tho :/
    Click for full size

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    Ebay doesn't allow the selling of firearms on it's online auctions. gun parts yes, fully assembled and operable guns, NO.
    The ebay part was a joke!

Black
    '05 Ninja ZX-10R

AK's aren't illegal. They're extremely common, walk into your local gun shop and you'll probably see at least 10 of them hanging on the wall . The romanian wasrs are going for just around $300. They were still selling AK's during the assualt weapon ban too, when it was in effect.

Unless you're sure it is fully automatic? That'll get you in some deep shit unless he's got the class III license. As in a swat team kicking down your door armed with submachine guns and beating your ass. But I'm kinda doubting it. Full auto guns cost more than your car, and he ain't getting his hands on one of those easy unless he knew somebody. And honestly, I don't think there's a huge arms trade in illegal full auto AKs. Not when it's so easy to make any semi-auto full-auto, a monkey with a file can do it. It even happens by accident with old guns when the trigger sear wears down too much.

I hope it's just a regular semi-automatic AK, and you guys are just getting worked up over nothing. Good luck.

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Red Barron View Post
    Since when are AK's illegal to have? The assault rifle ban was lifted some time ago IIRC.
    It isn't illegal at all. I have two. A collapsable stock chinese made aks with bayonet and a russian sks paratrooper. They are really great weapons. Very accurate for hunting. Tell your friend to grow a set of harry balls and stop being such a puss. Just keep it unloaded with a trigger lock guard and in a secured place like a safe. If he can't be responsible then better off to have him take it to a local gun show and give the fucker away. Unless it is full auto. In that case I'll make arrangements to get it. Ha Ha Ha.
    Last edited by Huskerz1; 07-26-2006 at 10:11 PM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr View Post
    holy hell we agreed haha but like I originally said I wouldnt just get rid of this without doing some investigating .. thats like giving away free money

We probably agree about a lot of stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information