Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    1966 Corvette Coupe

I bought a Droid

I have been fighting the I phone bug for a while now. I had an old POS (non camera) phone. I thought it was time and the Droid looked like the phone. So yestarday i went in and got one.

So far I like it. It has a few things that I'm not thrilled with...

1. the top line of the physical keyboard is a little hard to hit...
    2. it goes into sleep mode and you have to hit the power button (on the top) and then slide the screen... There may be an app to make this better, but i havent found it yet.
    3. alot of the apps i have found arent great (not the phones fault)
    4. The I phone has a better zoom functions
    5. The "?" on the physical keypad was hard to find... Even though it is right in front of your face...

Things i LOVE
    1. Having the pysical keypad... It allows you to use the screen fully instead of 75% of it being hidden by a virtual one.
    2. It keeps track of text messages like they are a chat...
    3. The browsing is good...
    4. NAV is good... it has turn by turn directions and even pronounces the name of the street.

So far I'm pleased...

-me

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Typing this on my iphone . Droid looks like an 80's calculator.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Typing this on my iphone . Droid looks like an 80's calculator.
    but the droids functionality makes the iphone perform like a 80s calculator

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

The downside of the droid is it's a slider...why wouldn't they make it a flip phone? But have you seen AT&T's 3G map...I mean, it's TINY.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it will never surpass the capacity of the iPhone

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Sadly not true. I have the 3GS and a fellow friend in my electronics class just got the droid. Looks aside, because that's all personal preference, the droid operates all around slower. Even from going portrait to lanscape it's slower, he admitted the same.

Most people I know who have purchased the droid get it because it's a third of the price of the iPhone 3GS (the original iPhone is more of a comparable phone to the droid) and Verizon offers plans that are cheaper.

I am sick and tired of "there's a map for that" advertising. They are full of shit, when I got up north to my hunting property, I couldn't even send a text message with Verizon. When I took my iPhone, I could make a a phone call crystal clear. Service sucks for all companies, no single one stands out all around over the next.

Getting away from the subject, the Droid is a piss poor attempt at an "iPhone killer." They should concentrate on originality, not trying to make a cheap replica. Like buying a Fiero and calling it a Lambo.

I'm ready .... lol

(all in good fun)

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I like my Droid. One main reason is the physical keyboard. Free turn by turn navigation. Google Voice.
    And service with Verizon is so much better.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Iphone users are funny

If you don't have verizon where I live you might as well use a pay phone if you have to make a call. I looked at the droids, but couldn't see something that high tech for just a few calls and texts.

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

iphone is a great device, AT&T is a horrible provider. The VZ attack adds about AT&Ts 3G coverage is 100% correct. Come to Iowa, and experience just how bad AT&T is. Unless u live on I-35, you ain't getting 3G coverage with AT&T. I work in a small ass town of ~500 people and I have full 3G coverage with VZ. Iphone users are definately going into denial. They can't fathom that there is another device out there that not only meets alots of iphone's pro's, but it actually exceeds in alot of areas. Oh, and the slider keyboard is a HUGE plus.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I like my Droid. One main reason is the physical keyboard. Free turn by turn navigation. Google Voice.
    And service with Verizon is so much better.
    The physical keyboard would be pretty nice, It took my alittle while, but I got use to the touch screen. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I had the Env2, Voyager and then the Env3, and had problems whith buttons not working. It may have been an LG thing, but Verizon was a pain in my ass when I had to replace each one (multiple times), even with insurance. I just didn't have a good experience with them.

I am jealous of the navigation, I think the cheapest quality, turn by turn navigation is around $30. Not only is there a app for that, theres a price for it as well. But that's a developer thing, not a phone functionality thing. Gives and takes, just like everything else in life.

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    iphone is a great device, AT&T is a horrible provider. The VZ attack adds about AT&Ts 3G coverage is 100% correct. Come to Iowa, and experience just how bad AT&T is. Unless u live on I-35, you ain't getting 3G coverage with AT&T. I work in a small ass town of ~500 people and I have full 3G coverage with VZ. Iphone users are definately going into denial. They can't fathom that there is another device out there that not only meets alots of iphone's pro's, but it actually exceeds in alot of areas. Oh, and the slider keyboard is a HUGE plus.
    I didn't state my point at the end of that, I meant coverage changes from place to place, so Verizon isn't the best everywhere and ceratinly AT&T isn't either. For me, where live and travel to, AT&T is better than Verizon, Sprint and Metro POS. These are the only companies I have experience with. When I go on vacation, I turn my phone off, so I really am not concerned wether it works in other areas or not.

05 Wrangler

marketing brainwashing at it's best

1966 Corvette Coupe

Oh and its insurable and the battery is replaceable...

For me it really had nothing to do with the 3G coverage bullshit... i life in the bigest city in AR and rarely would be anywhere that i would HAVE to have 3G and wouldnt have it... I basically made the case by looking at the price ($199) and thinking... Well a typical GPS divice is atleast $100... and this one is in my phone so i will aways have it... (Never get caught in a friends car without it).... So for $100 (and $25 over my old plan) I could have a descent every day camera (My old phone wasnt even a camera phone), mobile internet, a radio that would work at work (radio signal wont penetrate the hangers), and a PDA...

I never got an I phone because i was never a fan of the on screen typing and it became a craze... Everyone has a damn I phone... To me it was just something new and looked like a good way to break into the "Smart phone" thing...

-me

p.s. this screen blackout thing is really killing me... I have to hit the power button just to see what time it is.. and if you dont set it to lock your screen the dame backlighting will stay on and run down the battery... My only real complaint... and its a big one...

05 Wrangler

For me coverage wasn't an issue either...most of ca is covered pretty good by both carriers. I'm all about reliabilty and for me the less moving parts the better...same goes for my puters which is why I like SSD's. There's no slider to break or buttons to get stuck/broken...my phone has never let me down in 2 years including the non-removable battery. The extra $30 a month for data sucks though.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    For me coverage wasn't an issue either...most of ca is covered pretty good by both carriers. I'm all about reliabilty and for me the less moving parts the better...same goes for my puters which is why I like SSD's. There's no slider to break or buttons to get stuck/broken...my phone has never let me down in 2 years including the non-removable battery. The extra $30 a month for data sucks though.
    I agree completely, less things to go wrong, less chance of things going wrong.

I got on a family plan with the girlfriend, so I'm only paying $75/month for unlimited everything. It would be nearly double that if I was by myself.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Sadly not true. I have the 3GS and a fellow friend in my electronics class just got the droid. Looks aside, because that's all personal preference, the droid operates all around slower. Even from going portrait to lanscape it's slower, he admitted the same.

Most people I know who have purchased the droid get it because it's a third of the price of the iPhone 3GS (the original iPhone is more of a comparable phone to the droid) and Verizon offers plans that are cheaper.

I am sick and tired of "there's a map for that" advertising. They are full of shit, when I got up north to my hunting property, I couldn't even send a text message with Verizon. When I took my iPhone, I could make a a phone call crystal clear. Service sucks for all companies, no single one stands out all around over the next.

Getting away from the subject, the Droid is a piss poor attempt at an "iPhone killer." They should concentrate on originality, not trying to make a cheap replica. Like buying a Fiero and calling it a Lambo.

I'm ready .... lol

(all in good fun)
    should i start on why the droid is better then the iphone on the hardware standpoint or should i talk about the software that is better then the iphone....the hardware for the droid is outstanding..the TI OMAP 3430 processor is incrediably fast..faster and more powerful then the samsung chip the iphone 3gs has...on top of that the droid allows for multitasking..while the iphone doesn't. a 5 meg camera with an awesome flash..compared to the 3.2 meg on the iphone.
    the physical keyboard and touch screen of the D. The slider on the droid is very solid and not flimsy . replaceable battery on the droid. the speakerphone on the best i have ever heard..far better then the iphones.
    on the software side...the droid's os is based on a linux variation. allows for ton of customization with a few tweaks. did i mention OPEN SOURCE! ..google is supporting the droid and releasing exclusive apps only for the droid..where most would be pressed to find a iphone app that isnt for the droid..

oh and the biggest thing...3G coverage verizon's is better period ..and where 3G is so is phone service..and plans are cheaper ...these are just a few off the top of my head.

i was torn between the iphone and the droid ..but after doing my research ..there was no question

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I'm glad to hear you are liking the droid. I made the jump to the Devil (AT&T) in August from US Cellular. I have one of my companies paying the bill so that is how I justified it. Now my cell phone bill is tax free

That aside, i enjoy the IPHONE a lot! I wish I had more money than I knew what to do with, if so I would get the droid and play with it in a heart beat.

As for the hardware, check this out:
    http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Apple_iPh...oid#Processors

From what I read the CPU in the Droid is slower and has to take care of Graphics. The iphone is 50mhz faster and has a seperate GPU.

The droid and Android are going nowhere if developers do not get the apps out there. It is obvious the Iphone is not going loose too much ground on hardware differences alone. Someone is going to have to beat the ease of use and the available tools.

I will gladly switch when my ball and chain I had to attach to AT&T is over. IF there is something really comparable.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

should i start on why the droid is better then the iphone on the hardware standpoint or should i talk about the software that is better then the iphone....the hardware for the droid is outstanding..the TI OMAP 3430 processor is incrediably fast..faster and more powerful then the samsung chip the iphone 3gs has...on top of that the droid allows for multitasking..while the iphone doesn't. a 5 meg camera with an awesome flash..compared to the 3.2 meg on the iphone.
    the physical keyboard and touch screen of the D. The slider on the droid is very solid and not flimsy . replaceable battery on the droid. the speakerphone on the best i have ever heard..far better then the iphones.
    on the software side...the droid's os is based on a linux variation. allows for ton of customization with a few tweaks. did i mention OPEN SOURCE! ..google is supporting the droid and releasing exclusive apps only for the droid..where most would be pressed to find a iphone app that isnt for the droid..

oh and the biggest thing...3G coverage verizon's is better period ..and where 3G is so is phone service..and plans are cheaper ...these are just a few off the top of my head.

i was torn between the iphone and the droid ..but after doing my research ..there was no question
    This statment alone means you aren't familiar with the iPhone. You should pick an iPhone up before you start shooting it down, because you obviously haven't done your research.

I have used both side by side, both brand new. The iPhone 3GS is louder than droid. The iPhone processor is faster, because everything I did with the phone was faster than the droid, even the navigation through the phone was faster on the iPhone.

The camera and battery is where the Droid has advantages over the iPhone, not arguements there. The physical keyboard is personal preference. Customizing a phone is also personal preference, alot of people like the apple software and the setup it has and don't need to customize it.

Finding an app for the iPhone that the droid doesnt have? Seriously?!!!? There are thousands, maybe tens of thousands of apps available for the iPhone that the droid doesn't have. 1000's of developers, in which Google is included.

I understand you prefer the Droid over the iPhone, but that certainly doesn't make it a better phone because you prefer it. I have only pointed out facts from my experiences with both.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I'm glad to hear you are liking the droid. I made the jump to the Devil (AT&T) in August from US Cellular. I have one of my companies paying the bill so that is how I justified it. Now my cell phone bill is tax free

That aside, i enjoy the IPHONE a lot! I wish I had more money than I knew what to do with, if so I would get the droid and play with it in a heart beat.

As for the hardware, check this out:
    http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/Apple_iPh...oid#Processors

From what I read the CPU in the Droid is slower and has to take care of Graphics. The iphone is 50mhz faster and has a seperate GPU.

The droid and Android are going nowhere if developers do not get the apps out there. It is obvious the Iphone is not going loose too much ground on hardware differences alone. Someone is going to have to beat the ease of use and the available tools.

I will gladly switch when my ball and chain I had to attach to AT&T is over. IF there is something really comparable.
    ^THIS

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

How much are plans for the Droid? Does it have to be a data plan like the blackberry I'm guessing?

Does verizon sell the droid?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

It depends on how much usage you want. I'm not sure of the exact prices, but cheaper than AT&T I'm sure. Wether or not they require a data plan for it, like the Blackberry's, or not, I am not sure. I don't think someone would want a phone like that without some sort of data package, but everyone is different.

Yes, Verizon sells the Droid.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information