Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra

I am 25 and I am considering to join the millitary

which branch? I am sure this has been asked many times before. The reason i wanna join is for sure the serve the country (I am not an American citizen yet but I will have right to apply sept. 2010. I am a permanent resident at the moment) and the other reason is, I would like to be a police officer so this would help me get some experience and it looks good when you apply to be a cop. And other reason is to have that Millitary experince in my background.

I have been thinking to Join Air Force honestly. Do You think I have shot? Would they recruit me? But which other branch would you suggest and why?

will other soldiers mess with me because I am not originally from here? or Am I too old to join?

I am down for anything. Kind of hesitating for marines corps because I hear you have to want to be a marine to join the marines and I honestly dont have "I gotta be a marine, that is my dream and all that BS" I just wanna have military background so it will help me to be a cop and I will feel good about myself that I have been to military in this life time and served the country!

and those who have millitary experince, did you regret to join?

thanks in advance
    Last edited by Musclefan21; 02-15-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

If you want real life experiences that will help you as a police officer when you get out, join the United States Marine Corp. You will never regret that decision.

The brotherhood bond you develop in the Corps is like that of no other branch. You literally will be your brothers keeper. You will receive far better training than you would in tv AF as well. Every Marine is a rifleman. The pride you will gain from the Corps never leaves you as well. Good luck.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

lol @ referring to the different branches as "brands"

White
    02 WS6

They will recruit you, but due to your citizen status, your job choices will be limited.

dale

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Just a heads up:

Everybody and their sister is joining right now. Air Force and Navy are flooded by people who are scared of the economy and don't wanna shoot. Either one of those you're going to be waiting at least 6 months to go to basic training and once your in jobs will be VERY competitive. Expect to be scrubbing toilets for at least half of your enlistment.

Army will put a dead squirrel in a uniform, but you can expect to be a grunt. Most of their non-combat jobs are filled to capacity or being fought over by semi-pro athlete honor students.

Marines have turned very competitive lately. I enlisted myself back in November, and just since I've been in the pool, they've really tightened the reigns on who they're sending to boot camp. People are getting discharged for simply not being in shape. I've already been bumped back once because Parris Island is overflowing with new recruits. Jobs are extremely competitive too..if you dont have a 90 or above ASVAB score, you probably won't get your first choice (unless you wanna be a grunt).

That said, when applying to be a cop, they want to see combat arms experience, so your best bet for that route would be in no particular order:
    Marine Corps (specifically Recon if you can hack it)
    Army Special Forces/Rangers
    Navy SEALs
    Air Force PJ or Combat Controller.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Any branch will be fine for what you're looking for...just get an honorable discharge and you'll be golden. So stay out of the brig and be where you're supposed to be...anything but an honorable and no agency will touch you. Hell, if you get a dishonorable or a big chicken dinner you won't even be able to get a decent job period.

99' 30th Ann TA

I was in the 82nd Airborne Division in the Army as a Infantryman and have quite a few friends that got out and basically joined the police force with minimal additional training (some states different then others).

Combat arms would be recommended, but if I were you I'd personally try to be an MP since thats along the lines of the work you wanna do... No point in beating around the bush... Go straight for what you want...

No point in going for Special Forces/Seals cause thats huge commitment and that's gotta be something you really want.... And you obviously have goals set elsewhere. Its a mandatory 5 year contract to go SF, and if you don't make it you go right to an Infantry unit anyways... Trust me, that's how I got to mine...

Just find out which branches will even accept you in as an MP, and then decide from there...

I had a couple friends that got their citizenship while in the service and not once did anyone ever give them shit...

Best wishes....
    30th Anniversary Trans Am #0998
    B&B triflow exhaust, American Racing Headers, RPM Level V T-56, RPS clutch, LS6 intake, P&P TB, Hotchkis lower trailing, Panard Rod, Tower Brace, SFC's, and Swar Bar Kit, BMR Lowering Springs, HAL Adjustable Shocks and Coilovers, Powerslot Rotors

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I would personaly go for the airforce. Been in the Army for 6 years, fixin to kick rocks and get out, as far as being a police officer, I applied to be a highway patrol, All they care about is active duty service, doesnt matter what branch or what mos or job title you held. I am a vehicle mechanic which makes no difference in there eyes.
    Either way you go just see what each branch will offer you, Recruiters lie through there teeth so try and get ahold of people in each branch, Ie forums or military sites.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Arctic White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    Just a heads up:

Everybody and their sister is joining right now. Air Force and Navy are flooded by people who are scared of the economy and don't wanna shoot. Either one of those you're going to be waiting at least 6 months to go to basic training and once your in jobs will be VERY competitive. Expect to be scrubbing toilets for at least half of your enlistment.

Army will put a dead squirrel in a uniform, but you can expect to be a grunt. Most of their non-combat jobs are filled to capacity or being fought over by semi-pro athlete honor students.

Marines have turned very competitive lately. I enlisted myself back in November, and just since I've been in the pool, they've really tightened the reigns on who they're sending to boot camp. People are getting discharged for simply not being in shape. I've already been bumped back once because Parris Island is overflowing with new recruits. Jobs are extremely competitive too..if you dont have a 90 or above ASVAB score, you probably won't get your first choice (unless you wanna be a grunt).

That said, when applying to be a cop, they want to see combat arms experience, so your best bet for that route would be in no particular order:
    Marine Corps (specifically Recon if you can hack it)
    Army Special Forces/Rangers
    Navy SEALs
    Air Force PJ or Combat Controller.
    What MOS?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Coast Guard?
    Make pancakes?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Coast Guard?
    Make pancakes?
    Thats fuckin classic right there.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Each branch has its purpose. I have had some close calls that I could not have gotten out of without the help from the flyboys. People don't appreciate the AF until their ass is a world away from home and surrounded by fanatics trained to kill them. The low flying Warthog is a wonderful sight...

But on any military base, AF personnel are the laziest people I have ever met. All they do is surf the internet all day.

Any military experience is ok for your purpose. Just get an honorable discharge like everyone mentioned.
    "I am the executioner. When a crime is committed and the exalted state does not take vengeance nor move to punish, then comes time for the executioner to declare himself. I have waited long enough. The criminals are hereby sentenced to death. By fire. By earth. By water."

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

every branch is sending people home for not being in shape.

I have been in the navy for over 6 years now. Since then i have been to more places than you will ever be in any other of the branches hands down. If you want traveling, Navy is the way to go. If you want more options again, the navy is the way to go. Coast Guard is pretty good now too, they are branching out more.

If you want some action Marines or Army is the way to go.

If you want to avoid everything join the Air Force, like Anthracis said, from my experience they are the laziest.

But all are good if you want an education and again like Anthracis said as long as you get out with a Honorable Discharge you will be fine. If you mess up they will not help you with your citizenship, you need three years good conduct. I have met many awesome guys from all over the world that were not natural born citizens in the Navy.

I may be biased towards the Navy, but the job opportunities are far beyond of any other of the branches....There is no way anybody can argue with that. Now which one you want is dependent on you, you may hate the Navy but love the Army. I've seen guys go green from the Navy because it was just not for them.

Whichever service you choose would be a good choice as long as you do a good job and earn your pay. I hate seeing shitbags across all the services getting away with the dumb shit they do. I have pride in my country to no end and it angers me when there are people in the service who are a waste of time and money.

Maybe people can post up what they do in the services.

I am a Sonar Technician (hunt submarines) and a SAR swimmer(Search and Rescue Swimmer). I am going to be an instructor in less than 30 days for Sonar Techs, and in 2010 i will be throwing a SWCC and Officer Package(STA-21) in. Go Navy!

18D Cock Diesel

LOL...join the NAVY...go on a few cruises, see the world....................FROM OFFSHORE or BELOW DECKS! Either way sucks. Had a few guys switch to ARMY via the blue to green program that told me their sob stories.

18D MEDIC 2/7th SFG ABN

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    cool, thanks guys!!! I will keep reading...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Each branch has its purpose. I have had some close calls that I could not have gotten out of without the help from the flyboys. People don't appreciate the AF until their ass is a world away from home and surrounded by fanatics trained to kill them. The low flying Warthog is a wonderful sight...

But on any military base, AF personnel are the laziest people I have ever met. All they do is surf the internet all day.

Any military experience is ok for your purpose. Just get an honorable discharge like everyone mentioned.
    I agree with your first comment, but I think your second comment is beyond stupid. You cannot say one branch's personnel are lazier than the others.

I would recommend the origional poster to join the Air Force, you will hear it from many people that the AF takes care of their people the best, and there are just as many careers to choose from compared to other branches.

Onyx Black, M6
    2002 Berger Camaro SS #86

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post

One of my good friends is a permanent at our local AF base (works on ejection seats)... and that statement couldnt be more accurate. I think he spends more time texting than performing any valuable service. He has done several stints in Iraq, Qadar (sp?), etc, so I won't knock him too much. But he doesnt do anything when he's "home"

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

Irritates the fuck out of me that they let people who are not citizen's join the military.

But then again just some of the people they allow into the country pisses me off too.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

well bad on him for not doing anything, and bad on his commander for letting him do so, there is ALWAYS something to do

18D Cock Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    I agree with your first comment, but I think your second comment is beyond stupid. You cannot say one branch's personnel are lazier than the others.

I would recommend the origional poster to join the Air Force, you will hear it from many people that the AF takes care of their people the best, and there are just as many careers to choose from compared to other branches.
    LOL...spoken like a true AF guy. I see you are AFROTC. Your comment will count for something AFTER you enter the AF or fire a weapon in anger (in a place other than a shooting range or your local Airsoft events). I have personally observed said LAZINESS and am speaking from experience.

You are definitely AF officer material sir...oblivious. I will admit to one thing though, the AF treats their people well. And AF officers are pretty intelligent people...but non-confrontational for the most part. AF personnel are nice people too...JUST F'IN LAZY.

Their commanders don't do shit to them either. I personally knew a guy who would go golfing every thursday during his shift. And NO sir...his high level of proficiency and efficiency at his assigned duties DO NOT allow him to go golfing. LOL

I like the way you defend the AF and your enthusiasm, I hope that you can change the way that they do things. Its highly unlikely though. There are more of them than you. Good luck though.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information