Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

How u know autozone will hire anybody, reguardless of car knowledge

I called autozone the other day checking on a part and the employee asked what type car and I told him 2001 SS Camaro. He said is that a 6 or 8 cylinder ?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I asked a guy that works at the local AutoZone about that and he said they have to ask regardless. Even if they know what engine or tranny it's part of the training that they ask a series of (to us) seemingly inane questions.

Although for the most part most of the counter guys (especially if they're new) have no clue some of them are quite sharp.

I am a store manager for Advance Auto Parts and the problem is that the auto parts companies will not give you the money to hire the people who are actually knowledgable. they want us to hire people who have the experience and knowledge, but want to pay them what they are worth.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The onus is on you to know WTF your after before you go in there. Sign in front of the store dosnt say we know everything. But yes...that is funny...6cyl SS...oh well...you'd be famous

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Well. in his defense.. (I worked at Advance for almost a year between jobs).. when you ask what kind of car.. the next screen is the engine.. without knowing the difference between an SS, Z28, or SC.. He wouldn't know that the SSs only came with a v-8... and then he might not have been in the computer yet.. maybe finishing up another customer.. and just trying to get all the info first while helping out another person.

Lots of variables involved.. plus habit comes into play. But with knowing these cars.. yeah it is kinda funny.

Like Jperkins said, the auto parts industry sucks as far as payroll.. the bosses want lots of great, polite, knowledgable people.. but barely pay minimum wage.. benefits are almost laughable.. and are constantly screwing with hours.. "hmm didn't make payroll this week... you go home 3 hours early today.. " But it payed a couple of the bills on even numbered days.. and I did learn alot about cars too.. so I can't say it was a bad experience. Plus now I just walk in and lean over the counter and look up my own parts.. The looks of the new employees are priceless.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I asked a guy that works at the local AutoZone about that and he said they have to ask regardless. Even if they know what engine or tranny it's part of the training that they ask a series of (to us) seemingly inane questions.

Although for the most part most of the counter guys (especially if they're new) have no clue some of them are quite sharp.

well I guess it is open mouth SpeedAddict38 and insert foot

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by jperkins812 View Post
    I am a store manager for Advance Auto Parts and the problem is that the auto parts companies will not give you the money to hire the people who are actually knowledgable. they want us to hire people who have the experience and knowledge, but want to pay them what they are worth.

what part of Tenn are u in ? I am 20 miles from Chattanooga

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    what part of Tenn are u in ? I am 20 miles from Chattanooga
    I am from Fayetteville, about 20 miles north of Huntsville Ala.

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    Well. in his defense.. (I worked at Advance for almost a year between jobs).. when you ask what kind of car.. the next screen is the engine.. without knowing the difference between an SS, Z28, or SC.. He wouldn't know that the SSs only came with a v-8... and then he might not have been in the computer yet.. maybe finishing up another customer.. and just trying to get all the info first while helping out another person.

Lots of variables involved.. plus habit comes into play. But with knowing these cars.. yeah it is kinda funny.

Like Jperkins said, the auto parts industry sucks as far as payroll.. the bosses want lots of great, polite, knowledgable people.. but barely pay minimum wage.. benefits are almost laughable.. and are constantly screwing with hours.. "hmm didn't make payroll this week... you go home 3 hours early today.. " But it payed a couple of the bills on even numbered days.. and I did learn alot about cars too.. so I can't say it was a bad experience. Plus now I just walk in and lean over the counter and look up my own parts.. The looks of the new employees are priceless.
    What you said is very true, and it has only been this way since the company has gone public on the stock exchange.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

What you said is very true, and it has only been this way since the company has gone public on the stock exchange.
    That explains so much!

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

I am from Fayetteville, about 20 miles north of Huntsville Ala.

ok thought u might be close was going to visit your store

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

they won't hire just anyone. i applied there while i was at school to be an auto tech...even knew a guy that worked there. got an interview and did well in it. didn't hear back from them so i called them and they said that the position had been filled. went there for parts a while after that and was greeted by the worlds biggest moron.

"i need a fuel pump for a 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS with the 3100 v6"

"okay...is that the 3.1 liter or the 3.4 liter v6?"

let's see here genius...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    well I guess it is open mouth SpeedAddict38 and insert foot
    not really. I've ran into both types. Some guys know their stuff and some don't. 2 weeks ago I was throwing an exhaust under my truck. I went to pick up a muffler and advanced had thrush mufflers for like $22 or something like that. I thought that'll work. I start looking at sizes and the box had a diagram on the back showing length, width, and inlet/outlet. I asked the lady working the counter if that was inside or outside diameter and she said outside without even thinking so I grabbed it. Got it home...wrong. It was the inside diameter. I didn't mind her not knowing but say " I don't know" don't say something if you're not sure. No big deal really but next time I'll open the box to see for myself. I just didn't want to open the box if I didn't have to.

I actually wouldn't mind working in a parts store part time. It's one of those jobs that might not pay well but it's something I think I would enjoy doing. I like cars and I like helping people. The problem I have is the first time someone copped an attitude with me I wouldn't have much trouble telling them where to stick their newly bought fuel pump making no more than they make. I heard a while back that they paid real well but I haven't checked into it or anything.

1966 Corvette Coupe

i applied... and got denied.....

-me

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    not really. I've ran into both types. Some guys know their stuff and some don't. 2 weeks ago I was throwing an exhaust under my truck. I went to pick up a muffler and advanced had thrush mufflers for like $22 or something like that. I thought that'll work. I start looking at sizes and the box had a diagram on the back showing length, width, and inlet/outlet. I asked the lady working the counter if that was inside or outside diameter and she said outside without even thinking so I grabbed it. Got it home...wrong. It was the inside diameter. I didn't mind her not knowing but say " I don't know" don't say something if you're not sure. No big deal really but next time I'll open the box to see for myself. I just didn't want to open the box if I didn't have to.

I actually wouldn't mind working in a parts store part time. It's one of those jobs that might not pay well but it's something I think I would enjoy doing. I like cars and I like helping people. The problem I have is the first time someone copped an attitude with me I wouldn't have much trouble telling them where to stick their newly bought fuel pump making no more than they make. I heard a while back that they paid real well but I haven't checked into it or anything.
    I have gone to other stores in my area and see what kind of people they have working for them and it scares me. I do have a couple of people that work for me that are not as knowledgable as they need to be, but they have a willingness to learn. My job as store manager is not the best paying job, but in my area it is good money. The biggest gripe I have with my job is that the people running the company have little or no experience in parts or what it takes to get ahead in the parts retail business.

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    i applied... and got denied.....

-me
    Damn if everyone lived in my area I would hire everyone, I would diffently have enough employees that want to come to work.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    they won't hire just anyone. i applied there while i was at school to be an auto tech...even knew a guy that worked there. got an interview and did well in it. didn't hear back from them so i called them and they said that the position had been filled. went there for parts a while after that and was greeted by the worlds biggest moron.

"i need a fuel pump for a 1996 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS with the 3100 v6"

"okay...is that the 3.1 liter or the 3.4 liter v6?"

let's see here genius...
    Chevy 3100 v6?

umm isnt that the 302 5.0? lol what a dumbass. 3.1 or 3.6 LMAO

Other then that I am sorry you didnt get the job

tater_salad
    A guy that worked at NAPA here had (before he blew it up) a brand new 2007 Civic Si. He and a buddy with a 03-04 Buru WRX came to pretty much trash talk my buddies and I. Well the 'buru had already been destroyed by one buddy with a 00 SS on the highway. Well he picks on a LT1 T/A, gets his ass waxed. Homeboy in the Civic goes to leave, and he revs the car to like 6500 or so and double clutches. We get back to where we were hanging out and he pops his hood, lifts up the air filter, and has his cell phone shining up under there. A different friend of mine (Ford guy w 67 F-100 and 99 GT) who's an engineering major and mechanic asked what the problem was. Rice-a-roni says he was looking for his "Second Gear Synchros". My friend tells him that he won't find up there, and homeboy smarts off and says "This is a FWD car, the engine and transmission are mounted across the front, dumbass." Later, he is also asked if they had spark plugs for a Powerstroke and he says "Yeah, we got like 3 kinds. NGK is the best, that's what I recommend."

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

i worked at autozone and advance for about 2 1/2 years and i can tell you that they hire some completely clueless people...i know cuz i was one when i first started. but it helped teach me alot about cars and parts so it wasnt all bad. i just quit directv to go work at a dealership in the parts department, dont wanna do it but directv wasnt giving me any money and i'm waiting to hopefully get back into the industrial field to make some real money again.

Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

Oh yeah, I applied there many years ago for a little extra cash. I was an ASE master technician at the time and had been a mechanic for 10 years and they told me I didnt have enough experiance in the auto parts industry. The following week I went in there and asked for a universal electric fuel pump and the moron asked me what I needed it for. I told him I was steeling gas at night and needed a fast one. He just stared at me like I had 2 heads. So I finally told him it was for a 1980 Triumph TR8 and the idiot then told me they didnt stock one and it was a dealer item(they hadnt made Triumph in 14 years and there was obviously no dealer at the time). So I walked behind the counter and showed him where it was. Again he just looked on dumbfounded.

So unless you know nothing about cars or you speak Spanish or both you will not get a job there or Advance.

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

wow, hearin some of these stories of people yall came across i can honestly say even when i had no experience i was never that bad off. it just takes a lil common sense and you'll pick up on more and more as you go. some of the douche bags just sound like some punk kids who learned from fast and furious. they probably sit around and try to look up new welds on an intake all day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information