1966 Corvette Coupe

How to sell a car?

Ok I am supposed to have a guy coming from out of town to look at the Vette and supposedly purchase it...

this is the first time ive sold a car and im lost on how to do the whole transfer...

I looked up some stuff online about the Bill of Sales and so forth... but i dont know how to handle the cash/title transfer...

I have the car financed... he is going to have to finance it, but not throught the same company i have mine financed through... From what i understand i am supposed to take a check from him... hnd him a bill of sales... wait a few days for the check to clear... then go write a check to my bank and have them send the title to his bank...

How the hell do i just give this guy the keys to my car and let him drive off when i cant tell if the check is good...

Am i missing something? Can someone that has done this help me out?

-me

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

might wanna give this a try. take this guy thats supposed to buy your vette ( if he's serious) to your bank. have him talk to a loan officer about your car loan...have him write them a check for the balance owed on the title. in a way he will be buying the car from the bank. then the bank will give him the title that he will have to take to his bank to get a lein put on for his loan. then your pretty much out of the car completly

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Well, if the guy is interested enough to make the drive out to purchase the car, and he is that serious, then he should have no problem waiting a few days for the check to clear...how far away from you is he? Do not give him the keys to your car and drive away with it before the check has cleared and you know for sure it's good!!!

Red
    2001 ws6

you cant do it all in one day, have him come look at the car, if hes serious, have him put 100-200 dollars down just as a deposit of good interest and BOTH OF YOU sign a bill of sales which you can write up quickly stating such and such purchased the car from such and such for xxxxxx, then get everything squared away with the bank and a few days after that the car is all his, he cant just "drive off with your car" anyway, he wont have plates for it

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    you cant do it all in one day, have him come look at the car, if hes serious, have him put 100-200 dollars down just as a deposit of good interest and BOTH OF YOU sign a bill of sales which you can write up quickly stating such and such purchased the car from such and such for xxxxxx, then get everything squared away with the bank and a few days after that the car is all his, he cant just "drive off with your car" anyway, he wont have plates for it
    True, he can't drive off with the car without plates, but he might want to bring out a trailer. In which case, he could load it up and take off with it...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Also, this note is VERY IMPORTANT: make sure in your Bill of Sale that you put the car is being sold "as is, with no warranty expressed or implied". As long as you put that disclaimer in the Bill of Sale, and both parties sign it, you don't have to worry that he'll try to make you pay for repairs (should anything go wrong) in the future, or try to return the car after he's already purchased it from you....

07 MAZDASPEED6 GT

WHat is your email? I'll send you the BOS I always use.
    '07 MAZDASPEED6 GT
    '96 Mystic Cobra #5615

1966 Corvette Coupe

you have 30 days to get plates.... BOS shows you just bought it...

And yall seem to be telling me that i cant go look at a car and actually drive it home that same day...

This makes no sense... If i drive like 500 miles to look at a car and fall in love... im driving that son of a bitch home... and what if i flew... if i dont like it i want to fly right back, but if i do like it i have to get a hotel and another flight and so forth so i can chill in town till the check clears?

i dont quite understand this one...

-me

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Also, this note is VERY IMPORTANT: make sure in your Bill of Sale that you put the car is being sold "as is, with no warranty expressed or implied". As long as you put that disclaimer in the Bill of Sale, and both parties sign it, you don't have to worry that he'll try to make you pay for repairs (should anything go wrong) in the future, or try to return the car after he's already purchased it from you....
    Private sales are usually AS-IS implied anyway. Private citizens cannot issue warranties. At least none that would hold up in court. Also, he will need to either pay off the car, or if he is going to get a loan for it, he will need to have a bill of sale/ purchase order to take to his bank if he is going to use a car loan. If he gets a personal loan, he should be able to give you a cashiers check. Either way, do not release the car to him until the funds have cleared.

White and Orange
    1997 Z/28

put a for sell sign on it

Thread Information