Page 1 of 26 1234521 ... LastLast

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

How much do you bench?

For the people that lift on here how much can you bench? Jus curious. For the really strong people on here please don't flame people that can't lift as much. Its more important to have good progress and get stronger then jus out and out numbers. I bench 185 for reps and I can do 225 for one rep. I'd like to be able to workout with the 225 but I'm jus weak with the bench press. I do however bench 10 lbs more then I weigh so I'm happy about that. Anyone got any tips to make that 40lbs lighter? lol

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

When i was in high school........245 max
    Now, prolly ALOT more(like 300 max) but I wont max for prolly another year.....i work 3 set of 10 starting with 225 then 200 then 175......and im pretty wooped after....but not too sore.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    Now, prolly ALOT more(like 300 max) but I wont max for prolly another year.....i work 3 set of 10 starting with 225 then 200 then 175......and im pretty wooped after....but not too sore.
    You're pretty damn strong. Most people think that unless you bench 300 you're weak. How big are you? I'm short at 5'7-5'8 but i weigh 175 pretty much all muscle minus a minor beer gut lol I gained a bunch of weight since high school, hittin 21 did not help me lol

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Im 5ft 6in 185lbs.......i was more cut in high school than i am now.....i didnt work for 6 months after i graduated high school....and that made me gain 30lbs......most say it looks alot better on me but i didnt like it at first.....then i started working out again and i was awed at how much muscle i could still gain soo quickly.....so i guess the added weight did help me a bit......but now i have to keep on it or ill just get fatter again if i were to stop trying to keep in shape

Oh and i wouldnt worry about that 45 lbs......my buddy always rags me cause he lifts more than me and hes the same size.......but as soon as we get into the ring or play sports i always outlast him(therefore beat his ass in everything)........the more you condition with descent weight.....the more filled and fit you become......you might get cut(like him)if you work out small reps with more weight, but as far as condition.....im in way better shape doing it the way i am. Oh and the only thing i used to take in high school was protein shakes.....im on nothing now...
    Last edited by Stone; 06-03-2007 at 08:18 PM.

White
    1998 Trans Am

in july i hit 305x2 but couldn't hit 315, it was a total mental thing. (that was at 218lbs all creatined up, i'm back at 197 and doubt i could touch 280)

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I love creatine.

black
    98 WS6

the most I did was 200, that was right at the beginning of working out, later I just didn't have a spotter.
    I had a loooong brake but I just came back to gym recently - excited!

White
    1998 Trans Am

creatine and whey protein is a deadly combo. graduated HS at 148, at the end of july this last year i was 218 and would be surprised if i was over 8% bodyfat. just under 5 years of off and one creatine

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

I used to compete in the late nineties, and my best was 400lbs. with a pause at the bottom and "press" by a judge at a body weight of 214 lbs., at the bench contest here in N.Y.S..thought that was good. That was always my best even with some body weight flux here n there by 8-10 pounds..Then came the torn rotatorcuff in late '04,after that havent been close yet, still tring, oh yeah i am 6'2"..

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by pecha View Post
    the most I did was 200, that was right at the beginning of working out, later I just didn't have a spotter.
    I had a loooong brake but I just came back to gym recently - excited!
    THats cool man. I love working out, I'm excited nearly every gym day. Most people find that hard to understand lol Dont worry, the old gains come back on easy for most people because your body has muscle memory. I too am limited to a degree on how much I can bench primarily because I don't "go for it" when I dont have a spotter. Benching is not something you wanna test your limits on without a buddy making sure you dont drop the bar. If that shit hits your neck you are going to the "light" lol

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

That never works..

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    Reverse pyramid never works! You should do it in reverse if anything. Always warm up and go up! Muscle memory ...ever hear of it?! The body always remembers the last it lifts...build from it..If you can start cold and bench 225 for 10 from the start, your more likely to bench 325-345 for one! I mean its like a bench contest when u want to see what you can do... you get three attempts.right.., not like you show up hoping to bench 400, and say "yea throw 400 on the bar", it should be your last attempt, if its what you hope for, Then go and warm up, 135X20,175X10, 225X8with some rest etc. have some friends help you put a bench shirt on and then ...in this example, start with 350, then 375 and so on..

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk241 View Post
    Reverse pyramid never works! You should do it in reverse if anything. Always warm up and go up! Muscle memory ...ever hear of it?! The body always remembers the last it lifts...build from it..If you can start cold and bench 225 for 10 from the start, your more likely to bench 325-345 for one! I mean its like a bench contest when u want to see what you can do... you get three attempts.right.., not like you show up hoping to bench 400, and say "yea throw 400 on the bar", it should be your last attempt, if its what you hope for, Then go and warm up, 135X20,175X10, 225X8with some rest etc. have some friends help you put a bench shirt on and then ...in this example, start with 350, then 375 and so on..
    I do this now for burn outs......my normal workout is the opposite......ive been burning out for 2 weeks and am about to go back to normal for 3 weeks....than back to burning out......trust me......ive been powerlifting for 6 years on a off.....and a with a state winning coach..lol

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

So you are against drop sets on bench press is what you're saying? I'll keep that in mind as I'm trying to up my weight. I normally do 10 good reps with 135, 10 with 155, and then 8 with 185. Then sometimes I like to go back to 155, then as many as I can at 135. By this point my chest is smoked. lol

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

one rep max about 305-310

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Allright, for the both of you, if, Srt if your only doin it for a short time than okay, it will stimulate your body when u decide to do it right, from experience, not healthy to start heavy and drop, plus muscle memory, and 310 stanger, I used to do drop sets after going up, but go to another chest excercise like inclines or fly's, dont waist energy/time on drops unless you feel like you havent done enough..and dont say "what about flushing out the lactic acid"...that is unless its your last final set IE a set of 30 with cable cross overs, and or some real good stretching..I also believe in changing it up. EX.310stanger if you do what you say that week then next week either go heavyier and do what you said and then do two sets of 200 for 5 rps. and next week dont break 180 and do 8-9 reps X2, and start over increasing everything by 5lbs., every week and so on! One week light for reps 10-12 on your last set!!and next a medium week, every excersise, 6-8 reps for a finisher, and next week last 2 sets should be for 4-6reps maybe one for 6 reps and next nothing less than 4 reps., and start over, that was my secret for years, until about 4 weeks out from contest time.

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Allright, for the both of you, if, Srt if your only doin it for a short time than okay, it will stimulate your body when u decide to do it right, from experience, not healthy to start heavy and drop, plus muscle memory, and 310 stanger, I used to do drop sets after going up, but go to another chest excercise like inclines or fly's, dont waist energy/time on drops unless you feel like you havent done enough..and dont say "what about flushing out the lactic acid"...that is unless its your last final set IE a set of 30 with cable cross overs, and or some real good stretching..I also believe in changing it up EX.310stanger if you do what you say that week then next week either go heavyier and do what you said and then do two sets of 200 for 5 rps. and next week dont break 180 and do 8-9 reps X2, and start over increasing everything by 5lbs., every week and so on! One week light for reps and on emed. 6-8 reps for a finsher, and one heavy for 4-6, and start over, that was my secret for years, until about 4 weeksa out from contest time.

I started conditioning for 3 months.....then i started burning out for 2 weeks and conditioning for 3..........thats the way ive been doing it for about 4 months now.....it seems to be working.....but i had to lay off for a while with my new job(bout 3 weeks)....but once i start my normal schedule ill start back conditioning for about a month before i start the burn outs

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Allright, for the both of you, if, Srt if your only doin it for a short time than okay, it will stimulate your body when u decide to do it right, from experience, not healthy to start heavy and drop, plus muscle memory, and 310 stanger, I used to do drop sets after going up, but go to another chest excercise like inclines or fly's, dont waist energy/time on drops unless you feel like you havent done enough..and dont say "what about flushing out the lactic acid"...that is unless its your last final set IE a set of 30 with cable cross overs, and or some real good stretching..I also believe in changing it up. EX.310stanger if you do what you say that week then next week either go heavyier and do what you said and then do two sets of 200 for 5 rps. and next week dont break 180 and do 8-9 reps X2, and start over increasing everything by 5lbs., every week and so on! One week light for reps 10-12 on your last set!!and next a medium week, every excersise, 6-8 reps for a finisher, and next week last 2 sets should be for 4-6reps maybe one for 6 reps and next nothing less than 4 reps., and start over, that was my secret for years, until about 4 weeks out from contest time.
    Normally after a rest I follow up benching with either the pec deck or cable crossover. I'll try mixing it up with light and then heavy, then keep increasing by 5.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Yea, light week , next medium, next heavy...on most excersises, keep body stimulated. I used to use a pad and keep track... let me know when you want to max, most important, dont forget about your other body groups, if soley want to have a good bench then basically have some strong delts and triceps..and go ahead and ask me how to get those, my best close grip bench press at the gym was 385lbs.....can u say triceps?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Yea, light week , next medium, next heavy...on most excersises, keep body stimulated. I used to use a pad and keep track... let me know when you want to max, most important, dont forget about your other body groups, if soley want to have a good bench then basically have some strong delts and triceps..and go ahead and ask me how to get those, my best close grip bench press at the gym was 385lbs.....can u say triceps?
    Oh yeah, I'm definitely not the "bench only" guy. Its pretty much my least favorite exercise. I target all muscles some more then others such as shoulders because genetically my shoulders are a tough body part. My back? Forget about it, I'm really strong on back exercises and my back grows really easy. My chest grows easy too, but for some reason I dont bench as much as most people my size. My legs grow easy but I don't hit them as hard because of it.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Strong back is good.., usually its one or the other, seriuosly, my buddy same age right, late thirties, same lifting history, long time, 20 yrs. He is as wide as Yates, and traps to the moon, but I will always out bench him or close grip or any chest /tri excersise kill him , BUT if its shoulders or back forget it, he's got me..Make sure shoulders r a priority then, days after you bench and before..

Page 1 of 26 1234521 ... LastLast

Thread Information