Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

white
    2001 transam

How is the Economy Treating You ?

Is The Economy Really Getting Better Like the Goverment and there Statistics claim. Even the Stock Market has come back 33% from it lows set in March 2009.

Things don't feel better for me or my family. I can pinpoint in my own life what has not come back to normal or costs more. I wouldn't want to live here (Detroit). Families cannot even Bury there lost ones. They are stacking up in a Freezer.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6926247.ece

[B]GM News Again Another 150 Full-Time Job Lay-Offs.[B]

The V-8 era comes to an end at GM's Tonawanda plant

By Matt Glynn
    News Business Reporter
    December 18, 2009, 2:01 PM

The era of the "big block" V-8 engine came to an end at the General Motors' Town of Tonawanda plant today.
    The plant marked the end of production of the L-18 V-8 engine, a move that is causing the layoff of 150 hourly workers at the plant.
    The L-18 was the latest in a series of "big block" V-8 engines that have been made at the plant since 1958. GM announced in June that production of the engine would cease by year's end. The engines were used in GM vehicles as well as commercial applications and powerboats.

Employees, managers and retirees who gathered for a ceremony called the occasion as bittersweet, with the end for a staple of the River Road site's production. The final engine, covered with employees' signatures, is destined for the GM Heritage Center in Sterling Heights, Mich.

The 150 layoffs bring the total number of workers on layoff at the plant to 298, said Robert Coleman, shop chairman of United Auto Workers Local 774.

Coleman and Steve Finch, the plant manager, said they are striving to secure a new engine line that would enable workers to return from layoff. "We're all working very, very hard to make this the place to put GM's next engine," Finch said. While the L-18 accounted for only about 3 percent of the Tonawanda plant's annual output, it had a loyal following among customers that enabled it to keep being produced when its future was in question over the years.

mglynn@buffnews.com

You may have to use your Zoom Feature to View this

http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...ig%20Block.pdf

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ws62001 View Post
    Is The Economy Really Getting Better Like the Goverment and there Statistics claim.
    No.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hmm i still have yet to find a new full time job so im forced to work for a bullshit HoA. My brother with his 4 yr degree is still working part time at costco. And my parents are still looking at pay cuts again. So ima go with a big fucking NO.

Impounded
    2000 firechicken

we have been busy all year, and our work backlog for next year looks really good.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Well, I still have my job but sales haven't been as high as the company had hoped for.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

same amount of dishes and laundry this year as there was last year so far.....

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

never fear Obama is here (being sarcastic Ladies and Gents)

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    OH DAMN YOU MAKE IT TO EASY, but I will be nice...for now. it will increase, your sons growth spurts should be hitting hard soon, if they haven't already.

To hell with being nice..... so you actually sit and count how much laundry you do in a year ,does that include the cleaning of your french made outfit? and dishes? how about yearly grocery bills and other expenses? Did you take Home ec in school or something?

Adios and vaya con dios ZAPFOOL!!'s Avatar

Victory Red
    2002 Corvette Z06

just keep buying tires

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    OH DAMN YOU MAKE IT TO EASY, but I will be nice...for now. it will increase, your sons growth spurts should be hitting hard soon, if they haven't already.

To hell with being nice..... so you actually sit and count how much laundry you do in a year ,does that include the cleaning of your french made outfit? and dishes? how about yearly grocery bills and other expenses? Did you take Home ec in school or something?
    enjoy your workday monday bitch......I on the other hand married well. Tell me how much you make a year.... I bet I QUIT a job making more 2.5 years ago. I'll do laundry/dishes ALL day long versus having to go bust ass and make money for someone else.

Impounded
    2000 firechicken

enjoy your workday monday bitch......I on the other hand married well. Tell me how much you make a year.... I bet I QUIT a job making more 2.5 years ago. I'll do laundry/dishes ALL day long versus having to go bust ass and make money for someone else.
    What did you use to do?

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Have another kid (or 2). That'll boost your workload a bit...

Grand Prix GTP

To be honest, I'm a highly skilled IT contractor for the govm't, and my wife is a mid level gov'mt employee (GS-12). We haven't been hurt so far, no permanent lay offs in the immediate family.

I understand that we're in a unique position, and I feel bad for all those that have been hit badly by these hard times, but we haven't had things too bad yet.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Can't say I wouldn't do the same if the wife made enough money for both of us.I would be the next one in Sarge's target for cleaning house ect

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Brian H Drifer View Post
    What did you use to do?
    worked for Coca-Cola

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    Can't say I wouldn't do the same if the wife made enough money for both of us.I would be the next one in Sarge's target for cleaning house ect
    just busting your balls. I'm in a pretty unique situation really and I'll be the first to tell you that it's not a bad gig if you can get it.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

just busting your balls. I'm in a pretty unique situation really and I'll be the first to tell you that it's not a bad gig if you can get it.
    I will be honest I told the wife last night to get a damn job making enough where I can retire. That was after she said "Wow the housework has been done all week"

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    No.
    I second that, NO!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

As soon as my broke ass finds a good job again....then maybe I will believe it is getting better.

At least school is going well, although lenders aren't giving many personal student loans out right now. Making it hard to stay full-time.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Nope econ still sucks! Hate to see those GM peeps go down but it's their own fault imo. They let the unions get to greedy. It has happened everywhere even in the little shithole town i live in. Don't get me wrong we need unions the just didn't evolve properly, i work for a non union auto manufacture that hasn't laid any fulltime peeps off and my pay and benefits are were they are because of the unions. Still hate to see anyone loose job.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information