sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

how to deal with a neglegent apartment's sprinklers.

I have pleaded with my apartment to do something about it's sprinklers that spray extremely hard water on my car, there is not one spot in the entire complex that isnt right next to a sprinkler (yes, I have gotten up in the wee hours of the morning while they are going and looked) the apartment manager basically told me they didnt care, so I need help. a good car cover is expensive, and because I drive nearly everyday also a lot of hassle. how can I inconspicuously either clog or stick a sprinkler head shut so it wont keep dousing the backside of my car with the cloudiest and most damaging water I have ever seen, my back window is ruined (I mean really, you can feel the etching with your fingernail) and the only thing saving my paint is wax that I cant keep applying every weekend. help? I want to do it on a spot against the fence where the grass doesnt show or matter so they wont catch on or care.

white
    2002 TT Camaro

Move

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Darren P View Post
    Move
    signed a year-long contract.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Just find a decent size rock and place it where the head pops up. I have sprinklers at my house and it doesn't take much to keep them down and it does no harm to the system.

white
    2002 TT Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    Just find a decent size rock and place it where the head pops up. I have sprinklers at my house and it doesn't take much to keep them down and it does no harm to the system.
    that works also, and it seems easier than moving

1998 Trans Am

I always wake up before dawn, bet I could keep a brick in the back floorboard or in the middle of my parking space, put it on the head when I go to bed and pick it up when I wake, no one would know

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

that would probably work just fine assuming these are just little "misters". if they are the bigger heads you may need a little more weight.

1998 Trans Am

that would probably work just fine assuming these are just little "misters". if they are the bigger heads you may need a little more weight.

look basically like this:

I have a big glass I dont use, has a real think heavy base to it (proabably weighs 2 or 3 pounds..) and it's wide enough to fit around the whole assembly, wonder if it would be heavy enough that I could just shove it into the dirt over the sprinkler to cap it and keep it from rising... hmm..

-

Look at the top of the sprinkler to see if there is a hex head screw in the middle. If there is, tighten it until the water flow reduces or stops. You can also see if the top of the stem that pops up rotates to close off the water towards your car. Turn it clockwise if I recall correctly.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by PartsGedder View Post
    Look at the top of the sprinkler to see if there is a hex head screw in the middle. If there is, tighten it until the water flow reduces or stops. You can also see if the top of the stem that pops up rotates to close off the water towards your car. Turn it clockwise if I recall correctly.
    This! I've done that to a couple of my sprinkler heads due to the placement of the new fence in the yard.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

if both of those fail a less elegant solution would be to melt the plastic around the area where the water that hits your car comes out of. So as to plug up those holes. Maybe with a soldering iron or a lighter.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    if both of those fail a less elegant solution would be to melt the plastic around the area where the water that hits your car comes out of. So as to plug up those holes. Maybe with a soldering iron or a lighter.
    that could weaken the strength of the plastic on the top leading to the top of the head popping off. That's a common problem with these kind of heads.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    look basically like this:

Click for full size

I have a big glass I dont use, has a real think heavy base to it (proabably weighs 2 or 3 pounds..) and it's wide enough to fit around the whole assembly, wonder if it would be heavy enough that I could just shove it into the dirt over the sprinkler to cap it and keep it from rising... hmm..
    I think the brick is a better idea. People may pick up/move/kick a glass, I would think people would be less likely to mess with a brick.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    never thought of that! would just have to be carefull when melting it so as to not weaken the head like Aaron said.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I think the brick is a better idea. People may pick up/move/kick a glass, I would think people would be less likely to mess with a brick.
    the thing with the brick/rock is, it would be a sore thumb, I dont even know where I would go to find a brick or a rock (without stealing it from someones flowerbed) because there arent any loosely lying around that I know of, whereas the glass is clear, and the head is already about and inch under the ground, (exactly the height of the base of the glass) so I could shove it down level with the earth, and wouldnt have to move it for the mowers or anything...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

rebar and a hammer

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Eliminate the sprinkler completely. Dig up where the sprinkler head is. Measure the hose or pipe at the sprinkler head. If it is a PVC pipe, you can get a fitting. Either the sprinkler system will continue to its next head, or end there. Sounds like it will end. Then get a cap, and some blue PVC cement. Install the cap. Fill in hole. If it passes through, get a coupler in the size you need. And some blue PVC glue. Then, just install that. Landscapers are lazy, they won't even notice it. Maint guys the same.

1998 Trans Am

sprinklers never came on last night, I'll try the glass in the ground first, then if that fails ill try taking a screw driver to it and closing it. then I'll try melting it with one of these. a failure there will mean that yes, I will go out there at 4 in the morning and dig the damn thing out and cap it

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

or just get really pissed next time it comes up and stomp the shit out of it, make sure it never comes up again

Thread Information