98 Formula
    06 duramax

how to check if a motorcycle was stolen?

My neighbor wants to sell me an '89 K100 for Zach that he bought from another neighbor up the road. No title but I want to make sure the bike isn't stolen. I've searched around on the web some but no luck really. I found one site (NICB.org)that I ran the VIN through and it said no reports that it was stolen. Anyone have access to something that will for sure tell me the history of the bike or if it was stolen?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a clue on something that can't be registered. Any friends in law enforcement? Make sure you obtain a signed Bill of Sale from the seller setting forth make, model, VIN, purchase price and date of sale for your protection.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

for kicks you can toss in the bill of sale that seller confirms that "motorcycle has not been stolen"...that could get interesting real quick.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Is it s a k100 or a kx100?

Have you contact law enforcement in your area/state? If someone did report it stolen they would have to do it by the vin if it is a kx100 and is a bike that doesn't require a title. If they didn't have the vin written down and tried to report it stolen it would do pretty much no good.

Just get a bill of sale to cover your ass and have fun.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it'a a Ke100. Kind of a trail bike but the signals have all been taken off. I know my neighbor didn't steal because I know where he got it from....past that I know nothing. I'll have to take the vin to the dmv or something and see if they're any help but my past experiences tell me they're going to be next to no help. Zach has the quad and honestly doesn't even need this bike but it's a pretty cool little bike for what he's selling it to me for.....he's basically giving it to me for Zach. I just don't want to end up in trouble over it down the road somewhere. It's a street legal bike so it's been tagged at some point so there has to be some kind of paper trail on it. Just wasn't sure how to go about checking it as stolen. I'll start at the dmv.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it'a a Ke100. Kind of a trail bike but the signals have all been taken off. I know my neighbor didn't steal because I know where he got it from....past that I know nothing. I'll have to take the vin to the dmv or something and see if they're any help but my past experiences tell me they're going to be next to no help. Zach has the quad and honestly doesn't even need this bike but it's a pretty cool little bike for what he's selling it to me for.....he's basically giving it to me for Zach. I just don't want to end up in trouble over it down the road somewhere. It's a street legal bike so it's been tagged at some point so there has to be some kind of paper trail on it. Just wasn't sure how to go about checking it as stolen. I'll start at the dmv.
    that should make it really easy...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Yes a ke100 would have had a title at some point. If the DMV isn't helpful contact state law enforcement. I know the DMV system and police systems work together but I am unsure if the DMV would have a record of an untitled, unregistered bike that was stolen or if it would be better to look at police reports.

I know the Milwaukee PD call me once a year to ask if one of my bikes is still missing.

Quads are cool but IMO nothing better than a dirtbike offroad.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

this is a pretty cool little bike and would be a good starter bike for him. I'll get some pictures of it later. It runs like it's brand new too.

Arctic White, red/gray

Two strokes are fun and good in that size for beginners. Some of the newer bigger two strokes are quite a handful. They are also great learning tools for repairs. Easy to work and if the engine does go you can rebuild a two stroke for a couple hundred bucks and a manual. If you cna find parts of course but they used this engine for quite a while IIRC.

Thread Information