• Move to Houston

22 88.00%
  • Stay in Lousiana

3 12.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Houston Job Offer

Ok while i was in Houston this past weekend my uncle offered me a job. Its a drafting job and it starts at 45hr he said.......now 45 and hour is a good bit more than im making now. I love my family and friends here and it would be hard on me especially for the first few months......but 45hr start off for a career with great benefits...i dont have to be outside or anything, and its something i went to school for.I know some people there....mostly from LS1.com and have a few family members there....mostly my uncle that im close to(so thats not a problem). Now, i have a fealing that 45hr start off is a little hard to beleive!! And IF its not the start pay(which im sure it is) it would have to pay at least 28-30something and hour for me to move........please im asking for serious opinions.....should i stay or should i go??

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

move and take it!!!!!!
    Click for full size

If I go there will be trouble
    An if I stay it will be double
    So come on and let me know

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

i vote take it too

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

no really you have a chance to make a huge career move. you can afford to go see your family quite often. plus you can live with your uncle for a while and then buy a home which would be cool. by the way i know someone that can sell you a home(me) for cheap! we have a great race track and a ton of things to do. most importantly im here in houston!

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

yeah i still say move

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

what kind of drafting, what programs would you be using? full time or part time?

you have to weigh your options. consider this, does Louisana have a state tax? Texas doesn't but it has a higher sales tax than most states to make up for it. would you be moving for the right reasons, or is this a money motivated move only? Standard of living is higher in Houston that where you live, I'm sure...

when i moved from Kansas City to Dallas, it was for my job. I was unhappy working in KC and knew that Dallas was one place I wanted to live if I ever chose to leave KC. It was also a move up in pay, but i did not take the job because of the increase in pay. 6 months after moving down here (no family and knowing only 2 friends from college), i quit that job and went to another firm to work. I have been at this place since.

you gotta think about all the options from every angle, that's really the only advice i can give you...

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Yea everyone i talk to over here says the same......my uncle is supposed to call me and tell me more info on the job this week

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    what kind of drafting, what programs would you be using? full time or part time?

you have to weigh your options. consider this, does Louisana have a state tax? Texas doesn't but it has a higher sales tax than most states to make up for it. would you be moving for the right reasons, or is this a money motivated move only? Standard of living is higher in Houston that where you live, I'm sure...

when i moved from Kansas City to Dallas, it was for my job. I was unhappy working in KC and knew that Dallas was one place I wanted to live if I ever chose to leave KC. It was also a move up in pay, but i did not take the job because of the increase in pay. 6 months after moving down here (no family and knowing only 2 friends from college), i quit that job and went to another firm to work. I have been at this place since.

you gotta think about all the options from every angle, that's really the only advice i can give you...
    texas is one of the cheapest places to live. as long as you dont move downtown!

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 440 rwhp trans am View Post
    texas is one of the cheapest places to live. as long as you dont move downtown!
    that must only apply to H-town then, cause here in Dallas, everything is way more expensive than KC...

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Its computer aided drafting(mostly industrial). I only make 18hr right now......im outside working in a chemical plant......its OK but not the best......i love drafting......i was really good and i enjoy to stay at a computer all day. The cost of living is not much more than where i live right now. The houses are very high right now and the gas and food etc are actually more here....mostly cause of Katrina im sure. I can get a 2000sq ft house brand new here for under 200k pretty easily. We have state taxes here and i get (at my pay level) pretty highly taxed i guess. Say on a 2k check ill bring home 1.5k. 7% on mostly everything else i think.....the money is very good and with that kin of money and that stable of a job my career and life would be very great.....i have no house, no girl....nothing is holding me back really if i go....except leaving my friends here and my family.....which would be the hardest

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I say go for it. To have an offer like that at 22 years old is pretty amazing. job offers like that don't fall into your lap everyday... But, on another note...gotta do what makes YOU happy...

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by 05 Stone Srt-4 View Post
    .....i have no house, no girl....nothing is holding me back really if i go....except leaving my friends here and my family.....which would be the hardest
    that was me, nothing was tieing me down. i decided to make the move because i wanted to grow on my own and knew that i had to get out of the area i grew up in or be stuck in my 'comfort zone' and i didnt want that. yes i still keep in touch w/my friends and a 4 hour drive beats my 8hr drive to KC. your friends and family should you decide to move are closer than you think...

i took a chance, and i dont regret moving to Dallas at all. obviously you have been presented with this opportunity because you did something to make it happen. if you know and feel that H-town would be a good fit for you and vice versa, then i say sit back and wait for the info to be presented to you and then take sometime to think it over...

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

that was me, nothing was tieing me down. i decided to make the move because i wanted to grow on my own and knew that i had to get out of the area i grew up in or be stuck in my 'comfort zone' and i didnt want that. yes i still keep in touch w/my friends and a 4 hour drive beats my 8hr drive to KC. your friends and family should you decide to move are closer than you think...

i took a chance, and i dont regret moving to Dallas at all. obviously you have been presented with this opportunity because you did something to make it happen. if you know and feel that H-town would be a good fit for you and vice versa, then i say sit back and wait for the info to be presented to you and then take sometime to think it over...
    Yea i just hope its as good as he says it is

Christibelle
    Come on over to our town!!!!!!!!!

06 PBM GTO(458WHP)SOLD!!
    06 TR GTO~476WHP 425TRQ

Quote Originally Posted by REV_IT_UP-TA View Post
    Come on over to our town!!!!!!!!!
    If i do we gotta finish our night!!

Christibelle
    lol i promise not to sleep all day again

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

C'mon mr.stone...... you'd be a fool not to move there for the job. Plus you'll have the bene of being around Crystal!! Hell I'd move to Houston without a job just to be around Crystal.

Christibelle
    i am suprised u havent told everyone how fat and ugly i am since u can now say you've met me face to face

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information